Watermelon is one of those summer favorites that my boys get excited about every year. So much so, that when I asked what they wanted to do for a craft today my five year old said he wanted to do a watermelon craft! These watermelon craft ideas are loads of fun for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders because a spray bottle is involved. Plus this diy suncatchers is an easy coffee filter craft idea! This summer craft for preschoolers is sure to be a hit!
Coffee filters are so versatile and inexpensive, which makes them perfect for summer crafts with kids. One of my favorite coffee filter crafts as a child was coloring on a coffee filter with markers and then spraying it with water to watch the colors blend together. It’s fun to watch! This watermelon craft preschool is such a simple, but super cute watermelon craft for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. Whether you are a parent looking for a summer crafts for toddlers, a daycare, teacher, or looking for a sun catchers craft as a summer camp project – you will love adding this to your watermelon theme!
Suncatcher Watermelon Craft
You just need a few simple materials you probably already have on hand including:
- coffee filter
- red and pink markers
- pencil (or something to trace with)
- spray bottle with water
- green and black construction paper
HINT: If doing this with younger children or many kids at a time, you may want to pre-cut the rinds and seeds.
Watermelon Craft Preschool
First, fold a coffee filter in half and cut along the fold line.
Next color one half of the coffee filter with red and pink markers.
Watermelon craft ideas
Use a spray bottle to lightly mist the coffee filter, just until the colors start to blend together. Watch as the colors slowly run together. Add a bit more water if needed to get the effect you like, however too much water will wash the color out.
Let dry completely. *Note: We found that leaving the coffee filter to dry in the spot it was sprayed results in more vibrant color, even though it may take longer to dry with the extra water. If you’re short on time, you can move the coffee filter to a paper towel to dry.
Summer crafts for toddlers
While the “painted” half of the coffee filter is drying, it is a good time to make the watermelon rind and seeds,
Use the other half of the coffee filter to trace onto green construction paper.
Summer crafts for preschoolers
Cut out the traced shape, and then cut along the inside to cut out the center. This is the rind.
Make the seeds using black construction paper. An efficient way to do this is to fold the paper to make a few layers and cut a seed shape to get many at a time.
Glue the rind and seeds on top of the dry coffee filter to complete the watermelon craft!
Sun catchers craft
Put them in the window to use them as festive summer suncatchers. We used rolled tape under the construction paper to affix them to the windows. They catch the light nicely!
Coffee Filter Crafts
- 50 of the BEST Coffee Filter Crafts
- Coffee Filter Apple Craft
- Cute Window Easter Decorations DIY
- Permanent Marker Experiment using coffee filters
- Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
Looking for more watermelon activity ideas or two to make a week long watermelon theme or dive into the letter w is for watermelon? You will love these fun activities and free printables:
- Count playdough “seeds” with these adorable, Free Watermelon Printables
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Math Number Lines
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Cute Suncatcher Watermelon Craft
- W is for Watermelon HandArt Project
- Scented, Watermelon Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe for summer
- Watermelon Slime Activity for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Volcano Watermelon Experiment – Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Work on Counting with these Watermelon worksheet
- Hands-on Alphabet practice with this Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Find the Letter Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Printable Counting Clip Cards
- Free Watermelon seed counting Activity with printable
- Hands-on Watermelon Activity adding seeds with kids fingerprints
- Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Addition within 10 Watermelon Printable Math Activity
- Number Puzzles Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Ryming Words Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon Letter Matching Game
- Fact Family Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Life Cycle Spinner
- Squish Bag Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Plus don’t miss these Watermelon Activities
Crafts Ideas for Kids
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
- These tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Folded Paper Elephant Craft Bookmark
- Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft
- Outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away
- Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts
- Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids
- Check out these toilet paper roll crafts
- Try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- Clever Fall Crafts for Kids
- Silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- Letter Crafts sorted A-Z
- Learn your letters with these free printable alphabet crafts