The school year is fast approaching, but there’s still a lot of summer fun to be had! Some
of the most fun times in summer center around cold snacks like popsicles, ice cream, and fresh cut watermelon. Explore uppercase and lowercase with this yummy watermelon letter matching game for kids.
Letter Matching Game
great way for young learners to build literacy skills. It’s important that children have activities that promote both having fun and learning. Some choose to teach uppercase letters first. Others opt to begin with lowercase. Whatever your preference, you can use the instructions below to create your own watermelon upper and lowercase letter matching games with these easy to use printables.
- Game printable (see download below)
- Laminator (optional)
Print out the Watermelon Matching Game. We recommend that you print on High Quality for vibrant colors. We also suggest laminating the pages for durability. This will allow you to use it with multiple students or during several units.
Cut matching cards apart using scissors or a paper slicer.
Set out the matching game of your choice at a learning center or on a table. Using a cookie sheet or plastic tray can help to keep all the pieces together. Add a handful of clothespins and young learners are ready to go! It’s not required, but you can also decorate the clothespins to look like slices of watermelon just to add a little whimsy. Encourage children to clip the clothespin onto the letter in
the bottom strip that matches the one on the watermelon.
You may wish to expand on this matching game in the following ways:
Are you planning a watermelon theme this week? Don’t miss these fun ideas and free resources:
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough mats
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Number Lines
- Cute Watermelon Suncatcher Craft
- W is for Watermelon Hand Art Project
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Watermelon Counting Book
- Hands-on Watermelon Alphabet Mats
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Count to 10 Watermelon Clip Cards
- Watermelon Theme for Preschoolers
Download Watermelon Letter Matching Game for Kids
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!