Kid will have fun practicing counting and writing numbers with this adorable and FREE Watermelon Seeds Counting Set!
Though Summer is a fun time for kids to get outside, enjoy the warm weather and take a break from formal learning, it’s still important to keep their brains active. Not to mention, be ready to fight the inevitable boredom that strikes! If your preschooler is needing a fun way to learn and prepare for Kindergarten in the Fall, they will love this hands on Watermelon Seeds Counting Set!
For more NO PREP math practice, see our 2000+ page of free math worksheets
Watermelon Seeds Counting Set
My four year old loves to count, and is pretty good at counting to 30, but that doesn’t always mean she understands one-to-one correspondence (or that counting answers the question, “how many?”). She also needs practice with number recognition, meaning she may be able to count to 10, but doesn’t recognize or know how to write the numbers from 1-10. You’ll love these FREE Watermelon Seeds Counting Set.
So I created a fun, hands on way to practice all these skills, using one of her favorite foods: watermelon! But stick with me, because there are also ways to use and enjoy this counting set even if you don’t have actual watermelon seeds.
- Watermelon seeds (optional)
- Counting mat and cards printed on card stock and laminated (download below)
- Dry erase marker
Included in this download in a counting mat, which can be used to count out actual watermelon seeds. But if you don’t have any watermelons (or they’re not in season where you live), simply have your child draw the seeds onto the watermelon with a dry erase marker.
To begin, cut out all of the watermelon picture cards and place them in a stack face down.
Then let your child draw a card and place it on the square on the counting mat.
They then count the seeds (numbers 1-10) in the picture, and add that number of seeds to their watermelon (either actual seeds or by drawing them in) on the counting mat.
After adding the correct number of seeds, students can write the total number on the counting mat where it says, “Write it!”
They can then remove or erase everything from the mat and start again with a new picture card!
Also included in the Counting Activity are number cards. If your child is ready, you can cut out these cards instead, and they will then draw a number card and place the correct number of seeds on the counting mat.
Then they can also practice writing the number.
Watermelon Counting Memory Game:
Finally, if you’re looking for a new game, or simply don’t want to use the counting mat, cut out all the watermelon picture cards and the number cards and use them to play a matching memory game. To set it up, shuffle all the cards, then place them face down in an array on the table. Take turns flipping over 2 cards. If the total number of seeds shown matches the number card, remove the cards from the game and keep them. After all the matches have been found (1-10), the player with the most correct matches wins the game! Most of all, have fun with your child as you play, count and eat watermelon together. 🙂
Are you planning a watermelon theme this week? Don’t miss these fun ideas and free resources:
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough mats
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Number Lines
- Cute Watermelon Suncatcher Craft
- W is for Watermelon Hand Art Project
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Watermelon Counting Book
- Hands-on Watermelon Alphabet Mats
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Count to 10 Watermelon Clip Cards
- Watermelon Theme for Preschoolers
- Beautiful and EASY Capillary Action Science Experiment (also known as walking water)
- Silly Grass Craft for Kids (must add to your summer bucket list!)
- Fun-to-Make Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft for Kids
- Super cute and FREE A to Z Letter Find Worksheets
- Alphabet Hats for kids to celebrate every letter of the Alphabet!
- Easy Button Craft for Kids
Download Watermelon Seeds Counting Set
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.