Kid will have fun practicing counting and writing numbers with this adorable watermelon seed counting activity. This hands-on summer counting activity for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age students uses seed counters and our free printable, watermelon seed counting worksheet. Simply download pdf file with watermelon printables and you are ready for some watermelon seed counting.
Watermelon seed counting activity
Though Summer is a fun time for kids to get outside, enjoy the warm weather and take a break from formal learning, it’s still important to keep their brains active. Not to mention, be ready to fight the inevitable boredom that strikes! If your preschoolers or kindergartners are needing a fun way to learn, they will love this hands on watermelon seed counting activity. This hands-on watermelon seed counting worksheet is a fun way to sneak in summer math to your watermelon theme! You will love the bright cheerful red counting watermelon seeds activity! Plus don’t miss the cute watermelon themed number memory game!
Watermelon seed counting worksheet
Watermelon seed counting
My four year old loves to count, and is pretty good at counting to 30, but that doesn’t always mean she understands one-to-one correspondence (or that counting answers the question, “how many?”). She also needs practice with number recognition, meaning she may be able to count to 10, but doesn’t recognize or know how to write the numbers from 1-10. You’ll love these FREE Watermelon Seeds Counting Set.
So I created a fun, hands on way to practice all these skills, using one of her favorite foods: watermelon! But stick with me, because there are also ways to use and enjoy this counting set even if you don’t have actual watermelon seeds.
Counting watermelon seeds
All you need for this simple summer counting activity for preschoolers are:
- Watermelon seeds (optional)
- Counting mat and cards printed on card stock and laminated (download below)
- Dry erase marker
Included in this download in a counting mat, which can be used to count out actual watermelon seeds. But if you don’t have any watermelons (or they’re not in season where you live), simply have your child draw the seeds onto the watermelon with a dry erase marker.
To begin, cut out all of the watermelon picture cards and place them in a stack face down.
Then let your child draw a card and place it on the square on the counting mat.
They then count the seeds (numbers 1-10) in the picture, and add that number of seeds to their watermelon (either actual seeds or by drawing them in) on the counting mat.
Counting seeds Worksheets
After adding the correct number of seeds, students can write the total number on the counting mat where it says, “Write it!”
They can then remove or erase everything from the mat and start again with a new picture card!
Also included in the Counting Activity are number cards. If your child is ready, you can cut out these cards instead, and they will then draw a number card and place the correct number of seeds on the counting mat.
Then they can also practice writing the number.
Numbers Memory Game
Finally, if you’re looking for a new game, or simply don’t want to use the counting mat, cut out all the watermelon picture cards and the number cards and use them to play a matching memory game. To set it up, shuffle all the cards, then place them face down in an array on the table. Take turns flipping over 2 cards. If the total number of seeds shown matches the number card, remove the cards from the game and keep them. After all the matches have been found (1-10), the player with the most correct matches wins the game! Most of all, have fun with your child as you play, count and eat watermelon together. 🙂
Looking for more watermelon activity ideas or two to make a week long watermelon theme or dive into the letter w is for watermelon? You will love these fun activities and free printables:
- Count playdough “seeds” with these adorable, Free Watermelon Printables
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Math Number Lines
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Cute Suncatcher Watermelon Craft
- W is for Watermelon HandArt Project
- Scented, Watermelon Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe for summer
- Watermelon Slime Activity for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Volcano Watermelon Experiment – Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Work on Counting with these Watermelon worksheet
- Hands-on Alphabet practice with this Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Find the Letter Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Printable Counting Clip Cards
- Free Watermelon seed counting Activity with printable
- Hands-on Watermelon Activity adding seeds with kids fingerprints
- Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Addition within 10 Watermelon Printable Math Activity
- Number Puzzles Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Ryming Words Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon Letter Matching Game
- Fact Family Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Life Cycle Spinner
- Squish Bag Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Plus don’t miss these Watermelon Activities
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Balloon Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun ways to play with balloons this summer?
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Learning the Notes on a Staff with a FUN Music Activity for Kids
- Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.