Whether you have a bumper crop of zucchini in your vegetable garden, or just enjoy this yummy summer treat, you are going to love this delicious zucchini coffee cake recipe. It is such an easy zucchini recipe for a quick and healthy summer breakfast!
Zucchini Coffee Cake
Do you grown any plants in your backyard? My husband always says I have a green thumb because I didn’t grow up on a farm or with a backyard garden, in fact I grew up in an apartment on the 4th floor in Madrid, Spain! But ever since we got our first home, I was excited to grow my own healthy veggies and my garden has steadily grown in size and quality every year. One of the first things ready from our summer garden are the zucchini plants that produce prolifically! This recipe is more than just an excuse to use up extra zucchini! This zucchini coffee cake has an amazing flavor and a delicious topping that make it a family favorite recipe in our house!
Zucchini Coffee Cake Recipe
To make this healthy zucchini cake, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Now, in a large bowl scoop 1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar. You can use light or dark brown sugar, whatever you have on hand!
Next add the wet ingredients to your brown sugar:
- 1/3 cup oil – we use canola/coconut blend for health reasons, but vegetable oil works well too
- 1 cup milk – we use whole organic milk, but whatever you have on hand will work
- 1 large egg – yep, our egg is green! It came from our backyard flock; we have one that naturally lays green / blue eggs.
Now it’s time to add in the following ingredients and mix well.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Lemon zucchini coffee cake
Next zest 1 medium-large lemon (or orange if you prefer). It’s really not complicated to grate the peel and it will give it an amazing FLAVOR! If you don’t have anything on hand, you can skip this step, but it give the cake a really great depth of flavor!
HINT: You can squeeze the juice from the lemon to make lemon bars, add to a glass of water, or another favorite recipe that uses fresh lemon juice.
Finally, add in 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour and about 1 and 1/2 cups fresh, grated zucchini.
You will love that if your kids don’t see you add in this healthy vegetable to your cake, they won’t even be able to taste it!
HINT: You can add 1/4 – 1/2 cup cocoa powder to make a truly spectacular chocolate zucchini bread that will completely hide the green zucchini remnants and delight your kids!
You can make the yummy streusel topping before you make the homemade breakfast cake or after. To make the coffee bread topping you are going to mix the following in a separate bowl
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup instant oats (also known as quick oats)
Then cut in 1/2 cup butter using a pastry blender (like you would use to make a pie crust) or two knives until well blended into little pea size pieces.
We use organic salted Target or Costco brand.
Now butter or spray your 9×13 baking pan so your cake doesn’t stick.
Spread 1/2 of your batter in the prepared pan, then sprinkle with 1/2 of your topping mixture. Pour on the remaining batter and spread to even out. Sprinkle with the remaining topping.
Zucchini Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Put your Zucchini Coffee Cake in the oven at 350 F for 40 minutes.
Zucchini Cake Recipe
Oooooh it is smelling fantastic and looks so yummy…. but give it 5-10 minutes to cool before cutting and serving it up.
Now it’s time to cut your coffee cake into about 12 slices!
This easy zucchini breakfast cake is moist and super flavorful. My family loves the streusel topping and spongy cake that takes zucchini bread to a whole new level! Serve with coffee or a glass of orange juice and you have a nutritious, balanced breakfast recipe your whole family will look forward to!
Zucchini crumb cake
This zucchini coffee cake recipe will become a new favorite at your house. It is delicious, uses up zucchini, and the lemon gives it a special little something!
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole is quick and easy to throw together
- Yummy Blueberry Muffins
- Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls that taste better than Cinnabon!
- Zucchini Coffee Cake with an amazing streusel topping
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is a special fall treat
- Easy Bread Machine English Muffin Recipe that is waaaaay better than storebought!
- Family favorite Easy Egg Casserole to throw together for company or holiday!
- Delicious Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal
- Make Ahead French Toast Casserole – my father-in-law always says it tastes like great grandma’s bread pudding
- Breakfast Casserole with Croutons is super easy with just the right seasoning
- Disney themed Loaded Mashed Potato Waffles
- Easy Breakfast Pizza recipe
- Healthy and decadent Chocolate Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Easy Yeastless Bread Recipe
- Simple Meat Lasagna Recipe my great-aunt always made
- Loaded Easy Corn Chowder Recipe
- Family Favorite Homemade Taco Pizza
- General Tso Chicken Recipe – better than takeout!
- Delicious Thanksgiving Soup we make from leftover turkey
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Crockpot -a fall breakfast recipe that tastes like dessert
- Easy Pumpkin Chili recipe your family will crave
- Best Ever Tomato Soup (the secret ingredient is bacon!)
- Easy Green Chicken Soup Recipe is super quick and satisfying
- Sweet Chili Recipe is super easy to make and a yummy comfort food!
- Apple Soup Recipe for Fall – tastes like fall in a bowl!
- Pizza Quesadilla is a quick and easy lunch recipe
- Serious this Easy Gingerbread Recipe makes the best, softest Gingerbread man ever!
- Melt in your mouth sugar cookie recipes – my secret recipe
- My family loves these cookies with snickers
- Best Oriental Slaw recipe
- My Great-Grandma’s Orange Rolls Recipe
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- You’ve got to try my copycat Dave’s gourmet butternut squash pasta sauce recipe
- My kid’s favorite – Target Monster Cookie Recipe
- Fall favorite Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- See all of our favorite family recipes here
Zucchini Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup oil (I use canola / coconut blend)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspooon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded and patted dry
- 1 medium lemon, zested (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all cake ingredients. In a separate bowl mix up the topping and cut in the butter. Grease a 9x13 pan and put in 1/2 the cake batter and sprinkle with 1/2 the topping. Repeat by adding another layer with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining topping. Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.