Whether you have a bumper crop of zucchini in your vegetable garden, or just enjoy this yummy summer treat, you are going to love this delicious zucchini coffee cake recipe. It is such an easy zucchini recipe for a quick and healthy summer breakfast! So if you are looking for recipes that use zucchini, you will love this recipe that will have you baking with zucchini. Even picky eaters will love this zucchini crumb cake!
Zucchini Coffee Cake
Do you grown any plants in your backyard? My husband always says I have a green thumb because I didn’t grow up on a farm or with a backyard garden, in fact I grew up in an apartment on the 4th floor in Madrid, Spain! But ever since we got our first home, I was excited to grow my own healthy veggies and my garden has steadily grown in size and quality every year. One of the first things ready from our summer garden are the zucchini plants that produce prolifically! This recipe is more than just an excuse to use up extra zucchini! This zucchini coffee cake has an amazing flavor and a delicious topping that make it a family favorite recipe in our house!
Zucchini Coffee Cake Recipe
To make this healthy zucchini cake, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Zucchini crumb cake
Now, in a large bowl scoop 1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar. You can use light or dark brown sugar, whatever you have on hand!
Next add the wet ingredients to your brown sugar:
- 1/3 cup oil – we use canola/coconut blend for health reasons, but vegetable oil works well too
- 1 cup milk – we use whole organic milk, but whatever you have on hand will work
- 1 large egg – yep, our egg is green! It came from our backyard flock; we have one that naturally lays green / blue eggs.
Baking with zucchini
Now it’s time to add in the following ingredients and mix well.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Lemon zucchini coffee cake
Next zest 1 medium-large lemon (or orange if you prefer). It’s really not complicated to grate the peel and it will give it an amazing FLAVOR! If you don’t have anything on hand, you can skip this step, but it give the cake a really great depth of flavor!
HINT: You can squeeze the juice from the lemon to make lemon bars, add to a glass of water, or another favorite recipe that uses fresh lemon juice.
Recipes Using Zucchini
Finally, add in 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour and about 1 and 1/2 cups fresh, grated zucchini.
You will love that if your kids don’t see you add in this healthy vegetable to your cake, they won’t even be able to taste it!
HINT: You can add 1/4 – 1/2 cup cocoa powder to make a truly spectacular chocolate zucchini bread that will completely hide the green zucchini remnants and delight your kids!
You can make the yummy streusel topping before you make the homemade breakfast cake or after. To make the coffee bread topping you are going to mix the following in a separate bowl
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup instant oats (also known as quick oats)
Healthy coffee cake
Then cut in 1/2 cup butter using a pastry blender (like you would use to make a pie crust) or two knives until well blended into little pea size pieces.
We use organic salted Target or Costco brand.
Now butter or spray your 9×13 baking pan so your cake doesn’t stick.
Spread 1/2 of your batter in the prepared pan, then sprinkle with 1/2 of your topping mixture. Pour on the remaining batter and spread to even out. Sprinkle with the remaining topping.
Zucchini Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Put your Zucchini Coffee Cake in the oven at 350 F for 40 minutes.
Zucchini Cake Recipe
Oooooh it is smelling fantastic and looks so yummy…. but give it 5-10 minutes to cool before cutting and serving it up.
Now it’s time to cut your coffee cake into about 12 slices!
This easy zucchini breakfast cake is moist and super flavorful. My family loves the streusel topping and spongy cake that takes zucchini bread to a whole new level! Serve with coffee or a glass of orange juice and you have a nutritious, balanced breakfast recipe your whole family will look forward to!
Zucchini crumb cake
This zucchini coffee cake recipe will become a new favorite at your house. It is delicious, uses up zucchini, and the lemon gives it a special little something!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
Zucchini Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup oil (I use canola / coconut blend)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspooon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded and patted dry
- 1 medium lemon, zested (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all cake ingredients. In a separate bowl mix up the topping and cut in the butter. Grease a 9x13 pan and put in 1/2 the cake batter and sprinkle with 1/2 the topping. Repeat by adding another layer with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining topping. Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.