These apple hand pies are perfect for fall! Serve this apple hand pie recipe as dessert in September or as a fun appetizer where you dip in our homemade carmel sauce. Either way this hand pie dough recipe filled with our yummy apple pie filling is sure to be a hit! You can use our hand pie dough recipe with our fruits too!
Apple Hand Pies
Have you ever had a hand pie? It is just what it sounds like, a slice of pie that fits easily and neatly in your hand. Imagine a calzone (pizza pocket sandwich) but for dessert. Super yummy and convenient, right?! Plus you get a better crust ratio! Our apple hand pies recipe is quick and easy to make for a truly deliciuos fall dessert your whole family will love!Use our simple hand pie dough and fill with your favorite pie filling. We love the combination of homemade apple hand pies with our carmel dipping sauce for a realy special treat!
Apple Hand Pie Recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Make the apple hand pies filling with a couple simple ingredients:
- 2 cups tart apples peeled and chopped (roughly 2 apples) – I like to use Jazz apples or honeycrisp
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- up to 1/4 cup water
Start out by peeling the apples, coring, and slicing into bite size pieces.
Apple hand pies recipe
Combine all apple pie filling ingredients except the water in a medium sauce pan and place on medium heat to allow it to thicken and the apples to soften. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time if it becomes to thick. Depending on the size of your chopped apples this will only take 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the apple mixture to cool to room temperature
Hand Pie Dough Recipe
To make your own, homemade hand pies you need to start by whipping up the hand pie crust:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teas salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (I use blue crisco)
- 7-8 TAB ice-cold water
Hand pie dough
Whip up a batch of homemade pie crust by mixing flour and salt in a bowl, cutting in shortening and then adding ice cold water until you get a ball. Now roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 1/8th of an inch thick. Cut into 3″ circles with a cookie cutter or mason jar lid and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Hand held apple pies
Spoon out a heaping teaspoon of apple pie filling on one side of the pie crust circles (make sure all apple pieces are laying on their sides)
Fold over the pie crust to cover the pie filling and form a half circle. Using a fork, press the edges together to seal the pie filling inside
apple pie hand pies
In a small bowl whisk one egg white and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the pie bites.
Now, in a small bowl combine the 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle mixture over top of the hand pies.
Small apple pies recipe
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy. Allow the hand pie to cool slightly on the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
Homemade Apple Hand Pies
We like to serve our apple Hand Pies with homemade carmel sauce for dipping. It just makes the dish extra yummy, extra special, and extra fun!
Homemade Carmel Sauce
All you need to make your own carmel sauce from scratch are a few simple ingredients:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Easy Carmel Recipe
While hand pies are cooking, combine water and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar melts – about 5 minutes. Add butter and heavy whipping cream and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until smooth, slighlty thick, and the right color. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt. Serve when it is not too hot to eat.
Caramel apple hand pies
Serve a platter of apple hand pies with carmel sauce in a bowl for dipping. This is such a yummy fall dessert recipe, after school snack, or for company!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Snicker Apple Salad Recipe – my kids favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with Cashews, Bacon, and tangy dressing!
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheels
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Family Favorite Cornbread Stuffing
Apple Hand Pies with Carmel Dipping Sauce
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 7-8 Tablespoons ice cold water
Apple Pie Filing
- 2 cups apples, peeled and chopped about 2 apples
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all apple pie filling ingredients except the water in a medium sauce pan and place on medium heat to allow it to thicken and the apples to soften. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time if it becomes to thick. Depending on the size of your chopped apples this will only take 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the apple mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Make the pie crust by combining flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until it resembles fine pea mixture. Add cold water and mix until it sticks together, adding additional water as needed.Alternativesly you can use pre-made pie crusts.
- Roll out pie crust and cut with 3" circle cutters or mason jar lids. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the pie filling to the center of each circle.
- Fold the cirlces into semi circles, using a fork to press th eedgest together to seal the pie filling inside.
- In a bowl whisk an egg white and 1 Tablespoon water. Brush over pie semi circles.
- In another small bowl mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over egg brushed handpies.
- Bake handpies for 18-20 minutes at 350 F in a preheated oven. allow them to cool slighlty for 5-10 minutes before serving with homemade carmel sauce for dipping.
- While hand pies are cooking, combine water and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar melts - about 5 minutes. Add butter and heavy whipping cream and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until smooth, slighlty thick, and the right color. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt. Serve when it is not too hot to eat.