It’s summer, that means picnics with fried chicken, hamburgers on the grill, and of course a good potato salad recipe! There are lots of different potato salad recipes out there, but my family is picky and doesn’t like too much mayo. I came up with eh best potato salad and they beg for this recipe all the time! This homemade potato salad has bacon and egg, plus some other tasty southern tricks to make the best potato salad ever!
Best potato salad
Up until recently my husband was convinced he didn’t like potato salad. The reason was he had only ever tasted store bought potato salad, and let’s be honest, it’s not that great. Store bought has mushy potatoes, generic dill seasoning, and way too much mayonaise. No wonder he felt that way. Well, I was in the mood for a really good potato salad recipe and wasn’t seeing any that looked really different? So I came up with my own, best souther potato salad recipe! It was such a huge hit that my family keeps requesting it time and time again. I couldn’t keep this yummy summer salad all to myself! So here is the best potato salad recipe you’ve ever tasted – your welcome!
Best potato salad recipe
This recipe is loaded like a baked potato, but in salad form. At least that was the inspiration. And it is crazy good, if I do say so myself. My new summer comfort food! Here is what you’ll need:
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise,
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno (I used the one in a jar as they are not as hot)
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped (I get them pre cooked at Costco!)
- 4 scallions sliced
- 3 sweet gherkins chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
best ever potato salad
To start you need to cook your potatoes. Cover peeled and cut potatoes with water plus about 1″ over the top and bring the salted water to boil. Cook until just barely fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Do NOT overcook or they get mushy and that is NOT good potato salad!
best homemade potato salad
Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy and drain on paper towl. Crumble.
the best potato salad ever
In a large bowl mix mayo, jalapenos from a jar, mustard, chopped gherkis, salt and pepper.
Gently add in and toss cooked potatoes, bacon, cheese, and sliced eggs. Reserves some bacon and scallions for the top.
Chill at least 1 hour and serve.
Good potato salad recipe
The secret is to not overmix or overcook the potatoes that leads to smushy potatoes. Don’t forget to chill to mix flavors well! Finally, don’t skip the jalapenos; they don’t add much heat, but add a fun depth of flavor. FYI, few seeds means less heat.
Best southern potato salad recipe
Serve with grilled hamburgers or hotdogs, ribs, barbecue chicken, pulled pork, or your other summer favorites from the grill.
Different potato salad recipes
It is such a refreshing bit of heaven! It is like eating a loaded baked potato, but that is chilled and refreshing instead of warm and heavy. Everyone who comes over asks for seconds and thirds of this best summer salad!
Best potato salad with bacon and egg
Looking for BEST potato salad ever? There are lots of different recipes out there, but our homemade version with bacon and egg is THE ONE!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Best Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
Mom's Loaded Potato Salad Recipe is the BEST Ever
- 5 large large russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup jalapeno chopped, from jar
- 3 sweet gherkins chopped
- 3 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cover cut potatoes with water plus 1" on the top and bring the salted water to a boil. Cook about 15 minutes or until fork tender, don't let them get soft. Drain.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy and drain on paper towl. Crumble
- In a large bowl mix mayo, jalapeno, chopoped gherkins, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently add in and toss cooked potatoes, bacon, cheese, eggs, and scallions.
- Chill at least 1 hour and serve.