What do you do with extra pie crust? My grandma taught me to make pie crust pinwheels! These homemade pie crust, butter, cinnamon, and sugar treats are so yummy I’ve been known to whip up a batch of our best pie crust just to eat these pinwheel cookies! You’ve got to try this leftover pie crust recipes!
Pie Crust Pinwheels
I have such sweet memories making pies with my grandma growing up. She was an amazing cook – everything she made was homemade, filled with love, and perfect every time. She never seemed to need a recipe and everything always turned out just right. One of my favorite things about making homemade pies what what she did with the leftover pie scraps – you know the part you trip from the sides and don’t know what to do with. She made it into a couple pie crust pinwheels. Unless you make a whole easy pie crust recipe, it only makes a few – but since they cook in just a couple minutes you get to enjoy them while your pie bakes. I mean asking a child to wait over an hour to taste yummy homemade pie is a tall order! We would eat our pie crust cookies at the kitchen table and chat.
Leftover pie crust recipes
Now that I’m a mom myself, I get to create these memories with my kids. I love this simple treat so much I knew I had to share our leftover pie crust cookies. So you can use your leftover pie crust, or whip up a whole batch by making more pie crust with the following ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teas salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (I use blue crisco)
- 7-8 TAB ice-cold water
Cinnamon roll cookie recipe
Use leftover pie crust or whip up a batch of homemade pie crust by mixing flour and salt in a bowl, cutting in shortening and then adding ice cold water until you get a ball. Now roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. In a medium bowl mix 1 stick of softened butter with 1 cup white sugar and 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle your mixture on the pie crust evenly.
Pie crust cookies
Roll the pie crust tightly along the more narrow side.
Carefully slice with rolled up dough with a bread knife to make a cinnamon roll looking cookie.
Put on a parchment lined cookie sheet and use yoru hadn to press down to flatten slightly. They won’t spread really as there is no rising ingredient in the dough so you can put them semi-close together. Put them in the oven at whatever temperature your pie needs to cook, typically 400 F or more. It only takes 5-10 minutes depending on thickness ot get these set and lightly browned. There is nothing in them that needs to thoroughly cook, so you are just cooking until they are set.
Cinnamon roll cookies
Remove from oven and cool just until you can handle them, just 3 -5 minutes.
Enjoy eating these cinnamon roll cookies while you wait for your pie to cook or as a delicious cookie recipe anyday!
Cinnamon swirl cookies
These are so yummy my kids beg me to make these even if there is no pie baking!
Leftover pie crust cookies
The slightly flaky cookie combined with the sweet sugar and cinnamon mixture is such a delicious, satisfying flavor that appeals to kids and adults alike! Yum!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Snicker Apple Salad Recipe – my kids favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with Cashews, Bacon, and tangy dressing!
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheels
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Family Favorite Cornbread Stuffing
Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheel Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 7-8 Tablespoons ice cold water
Cinnamon Pinwheel Cookie
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Use leftover pie crust or whip up a batch of homemade pie crust by mixing flour and salt in a bowl, cutting in shortening and then adding ice cold water until you get a ball. Now roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. In a medium bowl mix 1 stick of softened butter with 1 cup white sugar and 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle your mixture on the pie crust evenly.
- Bake at 400 F (or whatever temperature your pie is cooking at) for 5-10 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Exact time depends on cookie thickness.