Step by step directions on how to make a dog cake. Don’t miss all our party themes.
DIY Dog Birthday Cake
My daughter LOVES doggies!! So when it was time for her 2nd birthday I knew I wanted to throw her a girlie dog party! I looked and looked for a how to make a dog cake, but I couldn’t find it…. so I winged it. I turned out super cute so I decided to share with you step by step directions how to make your own Dog Cake =-) Enjoy!
First up, make 2 cake mixes (flavor of your choice) according to the package directions. You will want to fill a 10” round, 6” round, loaf pan, EXTRA loaf pan (just for eating). Bake according to box directions. Cool completely to ensure the cake doesn’t crumble when you cut it.
Note you will have slightly different bake times for each pan!
Using a sharp knife cut the cake as follows:
- 10” cake cut in half. Then cut 1-1.5” slice out of the cut side of each cake. This will become the ears and tail. Put up on the cut end side by side. Use frosting to “glue” pieces together. This is the dog’s body
- 6” cake cut in half and put up on the cut end side by side. Use frosting to “glue” pieces together. This is the dog’s head. Use a sharp knife to cut and half circle out of the top of the cake as shown above to make the dog’s face.
- Loaf cake – Cut large loaf as seen above to make the 2 front and 2 rear paws. Cut a slope out of each paw to create the shape (seen in picture above)
- Use the 1” slices of the 10” cut cake to make the ears (I added after the cake was frosted to give it more height & dimension) and along with the extra parts of the paw make the tail.
Frost the cake carefully with your favorite frosting. I used a homemade buttercream that I tinted/flavored with cocoa powder to get a nice soft brown. Add the ears and frost them as well. By waiting to add them you will create a more lifelike dog with space between his face & ears!
Now use a small straight tip to add the “fur” texture to the cake. I used the same homemade cocoa buttercream frosting. Pip short “hairs” all over the dog. You kind of have to eyeball this to make sure there are not bald spaced and that there is enough “hair” to create the effect.
Using fondant make the dog’s features: eyes, nose, tongue, bow, collar, and a bone. I use a homemade marshmallow fondant, but you can easily purchase it if you prefer. I tint mine with Wilton Gel food coloring. The colors are much truer, there is a bigger range of colors available, and it only takes a teeny bit to get even a dark black!
Here is your finished Dog Cake! It only took me 1 hour to make the cake + bake time! My kids kept asking me if it was a real cake!
Don’t miss our Dog Birthday Party with all the decorations, themed food, and games.
Make your child birthday (or half birthday) extra special with one of these:
- Free Printable Birthday Hats
- Let everyone give the birthday child a card with our free Printable Birthday Cards
- Ready to plan an epic birthday party your child will remember for a lifetime —> take a peak at our 20+ Birthday Party Ideas. From super hero, pirates, monsters inc, tinkerbell, pets, and more we have ideas for games, DIY decorations, cake decorating, and more! Looking for a fun way to practice counting and writing numbers; your child will love these Free birthday cake printable playdough mats
- 20+ Ways for How to Make a Birthday Special
Birthday Party Themes
- Despicable Me Party
- Dog Birthday Party
- Doc McStuffin Party
- Farm Birthday Party
- Fish Birthday Party
- Frozen Birthday Party
- Monsters Inc Party
- Pirate Party
- Princess Party
- Star Wars Birthday Party
- Science Party
- Super Hero Birthday Party
- Tangled Birthday Party
- Tinker Bell Birthday Party
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast