We make a big fuss for birthdays at our house! And why shouldn’t we? It is the one day when you get to truly just focus in on that one person who means so much to your family!! Here are 20 ideas for how to make a birthday special. These fun birthday ideas are simple, but super memorable ways to make the birthday girl or birthday boy feel importantn. Man of these idaes for how to make birthday special are things our family does as tradition year after year whether the child is a toddler, preschoool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, jr high, high school or adults!
How to make a birthday special
Birthdays are the one day where you slow down and focus on how special someone is to you. You reflect on how much your child has grown, all the milestones you’ve been through, the precious memories you’ve created together, and usually take time to flip through pictures of them growing up. This year make your child’s birthday extra special with these fun how to make birthdays special ideas. These easy how to make birthday special at home are perfect for kids of all ages from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners to elementary school, middle school, high schoolers, and adults too! Which of these ways to make a birthday special will you try this birthday?
How to make birthday special
Without further ado, here are some fun and easy ways to celebrate your child’s birthday and make it truly special with little touches that say I love you and Happy Birthday to you!
Decorate the Birthday Kids Room
Decorate their room – this can be as simple as putting streamers on their door or decorating the whole room if they are a heavy sleeper.
Special Shaped Birthday Balloon
Get your child a special Mylar shaped balloon each year (based on birthday party theme or current interests). This will become a much anticipated birthday surprise!
Special Birthday Breakfasts
Have a special, traditional birthday breakfast your kids will look forward to. At our house we have M&M pancakes covered with Red whip, chocolate sauce and a cherry on top – YUM!! Our kids look forward to this tradition. I don’t think it matters as much what it is, but that they know what to look forward to & it makes it ‘feel’ like their birthday (out to Panera, waffles, eggs, donuts, etc). We put candles on our pancakes and sing Happy Birthday. It is a special start to their day that even on a workday Daddy can take part in!
Display Birthday Cards Proudly
Put all their birthday cards up on the fireplace mantel (or other visible place) from the moment they start arriving until at least a week after their birthday. (I’d encourage you to save any cards with handwritten notes to the birthday girl/boy)
Plan Special Birthday Party Themes
Make sure to plan a super cool friends or family party at least every couple of years. I know not all families have parties every year and I understand that they are time consuming, can hit the pocket book, and are an extra. But make sure at least every couple years to plan a really cool party with family (or friends) that your child will remember. Plan fun, age appropriate games, have a Piñata, decorate, and make it a special day!
Tell Everyone – It’s My Birthday!
Wear an “It’s my birthday” pin during the day so others will know it is their special day and wish them a happy birthday too! One year we were flying to vacation on Goofy’s birthday (don’t worry, we still did pancakes & had a SPECIAL day). Because I had dressed him so everyone would know it was his birthday the ticket agents all sang & clapped happy birthday (it was like out of a movie – thanks Southwest!), got to go in the cockpit, and felt super special all day!! Even if you are staying local Wal-Mart, library, and postal service employees have all commented for my kids and made their day extra special!
You are Special Birthday Plate
Use a “You are Special” plate for every meal (we also use ours for other special occasions like dance recitals, especially good job at school, memorizing an extra long verse for Awana, etc.)
Sing Happy Birthday ON their Birthday too!
Sing Happy Birthday – this may seem obvious, but a lot of families only do that with cake & that usually doesn’t happen until their party.
Special Birthday Lunch
Send a special lunch to school with them (include a note on their napkin, stickers, confetti, birthday cupcake, etc.)
Make their favorite dinner
How often do your kids get to choose what’s for dinner? Sometimes that’s just not possible. But eveyrone should get to pick what’s for dinner at least once a year!
Lots of Balloons
Blow up a lot of balloons for your little tot or preschooler to crawl or run through – they will be giggling for HOURS!
Take Pictures to Commemorate the Day
Take LOTS of pictures! Again, it may seem obvious…. but so many people forget and then regret it. Your child will only be that age once – make sure to snap some memorable pictures! Of why not make it a tradition to always have your son take a picture by a certain stuffed animal so you can see how he grows?
Create a Memory
Even if it is on a weekday – DO SOMETHING SPECIAL! My daughter just wanted to go to the mall to play in the play area =-) Maybe they get to play a video game, a favorite board game, got on a walk, visit a park, zoo, Chuck E Cheese, pool, etc.
Say Happy Birthday all day!
Tell them Happy Birthday every time you see them =-)
Extra Hugs & Kisses
Give lots of extra hugs & kisses throughout the day
Plan a Special Cake
Take the time to make or buy a special cake. I know it takes extra time, but many childhood birthday memories are about the actual cake. Plus it will be in lots of pictures.
A Gift from Everyone!
Include other family members in the gift giving. My son was so excited to give his sister the ‘book’ he made for her. Birthdays are about celebrating the birthday girl/boy and telling them you care, not about the coolest present
Tell them How Special They Are!
At bedtime time as you are all gathered around to read books & tell a Bible story, have every member of your family say a couple things they love about the birthday person. This is a great way to get everyone involved, to learn about encouraging others, and to make the birthday person feel especially blessed.
Pray for the Birthday Kid
Pray over the birthday girl/boy – thank God for them and pray a prayer of blessing for them.
Take time to Reminisce
Take a moment to update their baby book and write them a special letter telling them what they are like, their interests, cute/unique things about them, and how much they mean to you!
Make your child birthday (or half birthday) extra special with one of these:
- Free Printable Birthday Hats
- Let everyone give the birthday child a card with our free Printable Birthday Cards
- Ready to plan an epic birthday party your child will remember for a lifetime —> take a peak at our 20+ Birthday Party Ideas. From super hero, pirates, monsters inc, tinkerbell, pets, and more we have ideas for games, DIY decorations, cake decorating, and more! Looking for a fun way to practice counting and writing numbers; your child will love these Free birthday cake printable playdough mats
- 20+ Ways for How to Make a Birthday Special
Birthday Party Themes
- Despicable Me Party
- Dog Birthday Party
- Doc McStuffin Party
- Farm Birthday Party
- Fish Birthday Party
- Frozen Birthday Party
- Monsters Inc Party
- Pirate Party
- Princess Party
- Star Wars Birthday Party
- Science Party
- Tangled Birthday Party
- Tinker Bell Birthday Party
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
Plus don’t miss these popular posts from our sister sites:
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Lots of cute, themed Free Kindergarten Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Printables
- Printable Lowercase letter alphabet crafts
- Printable Uppercase alphabet Letter Crafts
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Letter Recognition Worksheets with do a do markers
- Lots of free ABC Printables for preschoolers
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with animal alphabet mats
- Free Color Worksheets
- Simple, free alphabet worksheets