Have you ever tried a homemade cherry pie? If you’ve never tried a homemade cherry pie filling in a yummy homemade pie crust recipe you are missing out! Cherry pies made from scratch have more cherries, flakier crust, and taste better. Don’t believe me? THen you’ve got to try our best cherry pie! You can use fresh, in season berries or a cherry pie with frozen cherries for a truly delicious dessert that will leave you asking for a second helping!
Homemade Cherry Pie
This easy cherry pie is quick to whip up and will leave your whole house smelling amazing as it cooks! All you need is our easy pie crust to make a flaky homemade pie crust to hold your red berries! You can make a homemade cherry pie recipe with fresh or frozen berries – either way your pie will be delicious. Don’t miss our secret ingredient for the perfect pie that tastes way better than store bought!
Homemade cherry pie filling
To make your quick and easy cherry pie filling all you need are a couple ingredients:
- 2/3 cup sugar, I like the extra fine type
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespon lemon juice
- 4c fresh pitted, halved cherries or frozen that are thawed and extraliquid removed (the way I typically make it)
- 1 teas almond extract (my secret ingredient)
- 1 TAB butter, cut into squares – or use 1 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
Homemade pie crust recipe
You can quickly and easily whip up a delcious, flaky pie crust! It is so simple! All you need are a couple common pantry items:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teas salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (I use blue crisco)
- 7-8 TAB ice-cold water
Homemade Pie Crust
To make the pie crust, in a medium bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry knife cut in shortening until you get a fine pea mixture. Now add in about 7-8 Tablespoons of ice-cold water until mixture holds together in a bowl. Do not over mix or it won’t be as flaky! If you need more water add in 1 Tablespoon at a time until it will hold together.
Best homemade pie crust
Divide the pie dough into half. WIth 1/2 of the dough roll out on a lightly floured surface until larger than your pie pan. Lighly fold in half and half again to transfer into a pie pan. Unfold.
Easy pie crust
Remember the less handling, the more flaky of a crust! Combine filling ingredients, stir, and pour in pie crust.
Homemade Cherry Pie Recipe
Heat oven to 425 F. Then in a large bowl mix sugar, flour, lemon juice, almond extract and cherries; turn into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Now roll out the second ball to make a cricle for the top, Gently fold over and lift onto the top of the cherry pie filling. Unfold.
Pinch the edges of the top and buttom pie crust to seal. Now use fork to make pretty.
Making cherry pie filling
Cut slits in the center to let the steam escape.
Cherry pie from scratch
Bake 15 miutes at 425 F. Now put a cookie sheet on the rack above the pie to prevent the crust from over-browning and continue to bake an additional 35 minutes.
Now turn off the oven, but don’t open the door. Let the pie continue to stay in the warm oven another hour or so to allow the extra liquide to evaporate.
Easy cherry pie
Serve warm or cold with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Cherry Pie with Frozen Cherries
If you make your pie in the summer you can use fresh cherries, but I never seem to time mine right. Perhaps it is because I am usually making my pie when Grandpa comes to visit; cherry pie is his favorite! So I typically make cherry pie with frozen cherries.
Fresh cherry pie
This is such a delicious, flavorful pie that is just sweet enough without being too sweet. The almond extract really adds a little sometime special to your pie!
Best cherry pie
Whether you make this for company, grandparents, or just a delicious dessert for your family – it is sure to be a hit!
You will love how thick and succulent this pie filling is!
BEST homemade cherry pie recipe with a fresh or forzen berry filling in a flaky pie crust you made from scratch! YUMMY!
If you are looking for something fun and more personalized…. try our mini pies you can easily make with a mason jar lid mini pies!
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
Homemade Cherry Pie
- 2 cups all pupose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening I used the blue crisco
- 7-8 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups cherries, pitted fresh or frozen that are thawed with extra liquid removed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- To make the pie crust, in a medium bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry knife cut in shortening until you get a fine pea mixture. Now add in about 7-8 Tablespoons of ice-cold water until mixture holds together in a bowl. Do not over mix or it won't be as flaky! If you need more water add in 1 Tablespoon at a time until it will hold together.
- Divide the pie dough into half. WIth 1/2 of the dough roll out on a lightly floured surface until larger than your pie pan. Lighly fold in half and half again to transfer into a pie pan. Unfold.Remember the less handling, the more flaky of a crust!
- To make filling, in a medium bowl put 4 cups of pitted cherries. Add in sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and almond extract. Toss to combine and pour into pie lined pan. Top with thin slices of butter.
- Roll out remaining pie dough ball int o a flat sheet the size of your pie pan. Use cookie cutters to press 1-3 spots, but leave the dough there, it just creates a nice design and allows the steam to escape. Again, fold in half, and half again to move to the top of the cherry filling and unfold. Pinch the endge of the crust topping to the top of the pie crust sides so the juice wont escape. If you didn't cut out any of the top, make sure to cut slits to let the steam escape.
- Bake 15 miutes at 425 F. Now put a cookie sheet on the rack above the pie to prevent the crust from over-browning and continue to bake an additional 35 minutes. Now turn off the oven, but don't open the door. Let the pie continue to stay in the warm oven another hour or so to allow the extra liquide to evaporate.
- Serve warm or cold with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!