Whether you are looking for the best cornbread stuffing to make for Thanksgiving, or are just in the mood for some dleicious homemade cornbread dressing, this cornbread stuffing recipe is what you’ve been looking for! This corn bread dressing uses actual cornbread that is toasted and soaked in half and half, combined with onions, celery, bacons, same, and thyme for southern dressing recipe that is so good it could be the main dish!
I don’t know about you, but growing up I wasn’t too impressed with the stuffing served with Turkey, It seemed more like an after thought than a yummy clamoured side dish. But it’s tradition so when I got married and made my own Thanksgiving dinner I knew I needed to serve it, but I was determined it would be delicious! So after several different tries with various options over the years this yummy cornbread stuffing has been our families tradition. My kids beg for my best cornbread dressing recipe as it is so delicious and flavorful it deserves a spot of honor next to the turkey! You will love that you can make it with homemade cornbread or convenient jiffy cornbread dressing. Plus make it head and keep refrigerated for a no stress meal.
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
All you need to make this yummy stuffing recipe are a few common ingredients:
- 9″ pan of baked cornbread – make from scratch or use 2 x 8.5 oz boxes corn muffin mixes
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 ¾ cup chicken broth
- 8 oz sliced chestnuts can, drained and chopped
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 TAB fresh thyme
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TAB fresh sage
- ¾ lb bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries (i.e. craisins)
- 2 TAB butter
- ½ cup fresh parsley (or 1 Tablespoon dried)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt & pepper
Cornbread dressing recipe
Start by preparing and baking your cornbread according to package directions.
Corn bread dressing
Preheat oven to 325. After the cornbread has cooked, let it cool down and then cut or break it into 1” cubes. In large baking dish arrange cornbread in single layer and toast 10-15 minutes, turning once.
Southern dressing recipe
Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the chicken broth, half and half, and eggs. Once tasted, fold the cornbread pieces into the wet mixture and soak for 10 minutes.
Homemade cornbread dressing
In the meantime, in a large skillet cook bacon. Set the bacon aside, but reserve the drippings.
Add butter to your skillet of drippings, then add onion and celery. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
Jiffy cornbread dressing
Stir in chestnuts, thyme, and sage until combined.
Best cornbread dressing recipe
In a 9 x 13 pan combine the soaked cornbread, skillet mixture, cranberries, parsley, bacon, and salt & pepper.
Note: soaked bread will look mushy & you may think it won’t work – it will!!
Homemade cornbread stuffing
Cover; let stand for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
Preheated oven to 350 F. Butter foil and place butter side towards cornbread and cover the dish. Bake the stuffing for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden.
Old fashioned southern cornbread dressing recipe
This cornbread is seriously delicious! The comfort of cornbread, pop of bacon flavor, and classic sage and thyme combine for a timeless recipe that will become your family favorite tradition!
I love that it is light and fluffy and moist without being dry like some stuffing recipes get.
Each bite is filled with flavor from seasonal corn and cranberries to crisp chestnuts and full-flavored bacon! The seasoning compliments it so well!
This homemade cornbread stuffing is so good you will almost want to skip the other side dishes to make sure you have room for seconds… or thirds!
- Snicker Apple Salad Recipe – my kids favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with Cashews, Bacon, and tangy dressing!
- Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Turkey Cinnamon Rolls by tucking in bacon to make turkey feathers
- I like to make this pineapple cream cheese dip and use peppers to create a turkey head and feathers
Best Thanksgiving Recipes
- Family Favorite Cornbread Stuffing
- Oreo Turkey snack for kids
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheels
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Save some turkey for this yummy Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
Bacon Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
- 2 8.5 ounce boxes corn muffin mix prepared or from scratch baked 9" pan of cornbread
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 and 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces sliced chestnuts, shopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tablespoons thyme
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablesppon sage
- 3/4 lb bacon cut into pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries (i.e. craisins)
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh parlsey or 1 Tablespoon dried
- 1 large onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In large baking dish arrange cornbread in single layer and toast 10-15 minutes, turning once.
- In a bowl whisk together the broth, half and half, and eggs. Fold the toasted cornbread pieces into wet mixture and soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon (reserving the drippings). Set bacon aside.
- Add butter to the skillet of drippings,add chopped onion and celery. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chestnuts, thyme, and sage until combined.
- In a 9 x 13 pan, dump together the skillet mixture, cranberries, parsley, cooked bacon that has been crumbled up, soaked cornbread, and salt & pepper. Toss gently to not mush or break up cornbread.Note: soacked bread will look mushy & you may think it won’t work – it will!
- Cover the pan and let stand for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheated oven to 350 Fand grease the underside of the foil covering the cornbread. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes, or until golden.