Making your own homemade yogurt is simple! We make yogurt for $0.12 – $0.28 a serving (depending on whether you buy conventional or organic milk).
Why Make Your Own Yogurt?
As we are trying to eat more “real” food that is made from scratch we have begun to make our own yogurt. It is very simple to do and you will be thrilled by the results in flavor, quality, and cost!
How to Make Homemade Yogurt
I start mine after breakfast as it is really quick to get started, but takes 8 hours to “cook” in the yogurt maker.
You need 1quart (4 cups) of milk. We prefer to use organic non-homogenized milk from grass feed cows. But you can use whatever kind you like. The yogurt will still be delicious & creamy even if you use 1%.
Add a 1-2 TAB raw local honey or pure maple syrup if you like. (You could use sugar, but don’t because it is processed and are trying to stay away from processed foods.)
Put one laddle full of milk in your measuring cup along with 1 6-8 oz container of yogurt – this is your started with live active culture. On an ongoing-basis this can be a reserved cup of yogurt from the previous batch. But if you haven’t made any in a while (or ever) I like using the the toddler organic one. Mix well.
Pour starter back into pot & mix thoroughly.
NOTE: If you’d like flavored yogurt feel free to add 1/2 cup pureed fruit at this point.
Ladle into clean, sterile containers leaving 1/2 – 1 “ space at the top.
NOTE: If you wan to make fruit on the bottom yogurt, place 1-2 TAB fruit on the bottom before adding the yogurt.
We love our yogurt maker – it is simple to use, takes up little space, has individual re-usable yogurt cups, and was only $40! I think it is worth it to get one, but you can always look up how others make it in crock pots & coolers & what-not.
Do not put individual lids on. Put the cover to the yogurt maker on. I let mine “cook” or grow the good bacteria & thicken up for 8 hours. The longer you let it go the thicker it gets, but the less sweat it gets too. So it is a balancing act. This one seems to suit us.
Press the orange button and let it do it’s thing all day long. It will beep and the light will go off when it is done.
Here is our finished yogurt – thick, creamy, delicious, and nutritious!
That’s it, easy peasy!
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole is quick and easy to throw together
- Yummy Blueberry Muffins
- Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls that taste better than Cinnabon!
- Zucchini Coffee Cake with an amazing streusel topping
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is a special fall treat
- Easy Bread Machine English Muffin Recipe that is waaaaay better than storebought!
- Family favorite Easy Egg Casserole to throw together for company or holiday!
- Delicious Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal
- Make Ahead French Toast Casserole – my father-in-law always says it tastes like great grandma’s bread pudding
- Breakfast Casserole with Croutons is super easy with just the right seasoning
- Disney themed Loaded Mashed Potato Waffles
- Easy Breakfast Pizza recipe
- BBQ Shredded chicken sandwich
- Healthy and decadent Chocolate Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Easy Yeastless Bread Recipe
- Simple Meat Lasagna Recipe my great-aunt always made
- Loaded Easy Corn Chowder Recipe
- Family Favorite Homemade Taco Pizza
- General Tso Chicken Recipe – better than takeout!
- Delicious Thanksgiving Soup we make from leftover turkey
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Crockpot -a fall breakfast recipe that tastes like dessert
- Easy Pumpkin Chili recipe your family will crave
- Best Ever Tomato Soup (the secret ingredient is bacon!)
- Easy Green Chicken Soup Recipe is super quick and satisfying
- Sweet Chili Recipe is super easy to make and a yummy comfort food!
- Apple Soup Recipe for Fall – tastes like fall in a bowl!
- Pizza Quesadilla is a quick and easy lunch recipe
- Serious this Easy Gingerbread Recipe makes the best, softest Gingerbread man ever!
- Melt in your mouth sugar cookie recipes – my secret recipe
- My family loves these cookies with snickers
- Best Oriental Slaw recipe
- My Great-Grandma’s Orange Rolls Recipe
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- You’ve got to try my copycat Dave’s gourmet butternut squash pasta sauce recipe
- My kid’s favorite – Target Monster Cookie Recipe
- Fall favorite Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- See all of our favorite family recipes here