If you’ve never tried homemade pudding recipes, you’ve never really tried pudding. The artifiical snack packs are not really pudding, and the instant jello pudding doesn’t hold a candly to this butterscotch pudding recipe! Learn how to make homemade butterscotch pudding from scratch for a truly delicious and satisfying dessert your whole family will love!
Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
Pudding is not just for kids in snack packs! Delicious, homemade pudding recipes are rich, creamy, and chocked full of flavor that the whole family will enjoy! Until I moved to the south I didn’t realize how delicious pudding from scratch really was. It is AMAZING! You will love this butterscotch pudding that has a wonderful flavor, thick and creamy, and simple to make with real ingredients – no preservatives! I think once you try it you will agree this is the best butterscotch pudding recipe you’ve ever tried. Yum!
All you need to whip up this wonderful dessert recipe are a few simple ingredients:
- whole milk
- heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- dark brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- Optional topping: salted caramel, Heath Bar toffee bits, homemade whipped cream
Homemade Butterscotch Pudding
Whisk the 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3 Tablespoons water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a medium heavy duty saucepan over medium heat. Now, without stirring, allow the mixture to cook and lightly brown until it bubbles, about 5-6 minutes. It should begin to smell caramelized at that point.
HINT: If you prefer to be more exact and have a candy thermometer, you want it to be around 240°F (116°C).
Best Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
In a bowl combine 1 1/2 cups whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream. Then, slowly and carefully whisk milk mixture into the hot sugar mixture. It will sizzle and may splatter, so pour in slowly. Cook on medium heat until the mixture begins to boil once again.
Butterscotch Pudding from Scratch
In another bowl combine 3 large egg yolks and 2 Tablespoons cornstarch. Once the mixture on the stovetop is boiling, remove about 1/2 cup of the mixture and, quickly and carefully whisk the 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
HINT: Keep those egg yolks moving so they don’t scramble.
Best butterscotch pudding
Now pour the egg yolk mixture into the pot and whisk together. Turn the heat down to low as the pudding begins to bubble and thicken. Contine whisking and cooking for 1 minute or until it is the correct consistency. Remove from heat and stir in 3 Tablespoons softened butter and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Cool for 5 minutes, then pour into serving glasses or bowls.
Cover the bowl (s) tightly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight until chilled and thickened.
Homemade pudding recipes
Serve with optional toppings. Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
The pudding dessert is thick and creamy with a wonderfully rich flavor of butterscotch! Who knew pudding could be so decadent and delicious?!
Learn how to make homemade butterscotch pudding from scratch with this yummy dessert recipe from scratch your whole family will love!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- The BEST Monkey Bread Recipe
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cheesey Hashbrown Casserole
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Yummy Gingerbread Waffles
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
- Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Outrageously good Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Snicker Apple Salad Recipe – my kids favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with Cashews, Bacon, and tangy dressing!
- Maple Orange Glazed Ham
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Quick and Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
Breads and Side Dishes
- Angel Rolls – The BEST Homemade Crescent Rolls
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Family Favorite Cornbread Stuffing
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Homemade Butterscotch Pudidng Recipe
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Easy Pecan Pie Bars
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Super Easy Date Bars with nuts
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheels
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- Creamy, Homemade White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
- Easy Homemade Hot Cocoa
- You’ve got to try this incredible Homemade Eggnog recipe
Homemade Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs yolk only
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional topping: salted caramel, Heath Bar toffee bits, homemade whipped cream
- I like to do a little prep on this recipe. Mix the whole milk and heavy cream in a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together 3 large egg yolks and cornstarch.
- Whisk the 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3 Tablespoons water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a mediumheavy duty saucepan over medium heat. Now, without stirring, allow the mixture to cook and lightly brown until it bubbles, about 5-6 minutes. Itshould begin to smell caramelized at that point.HINT: If you prefer to be more exact and have a candy thermometer, you wantit to be around 240°F (116°C).
- Slowly and carefully whisk milk mixture into the hot sugar mixture. It will sizzle and may splatter, so pour in slowly.Cook on medium heat until the mixture begins to boil once again.
- Once the mixture on the stovetop is boiling, remove about 1/2 cup of the mixture and, quickly and carefully whisk the 1/2 cup of the hot mixture intothe egg yolks.HINT: Keep those egg yolks moving so they don’t scramble.
- Now pour the egg yolk mixture into the pot and whisk together. Turn the heatdown to low as the pudding begins to bubble and thicken. Continue whisking andcooking for 1 minute or until it is the correct consistency. Remove from heat and stir in 3 Tablespoons softened butter and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Cool for 5 minutes, then pour into serving glasses or bowls.
- Cover the bowl (s) tightly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight until chilled and thickened. Serve with optional toppings. Cover and store leftovers inthe refrigerator for up to 4 days.