This holiday dessert recipe for Christmas is the most delicious gingerbread cake recipe you’ll ever taste! We use our nordic ware cozy village recipe to make lots of yummy ginger bread houses to decorate and eat during December. This is such a fun Christmas tradition for kids of all ages! Our family looks forward to this Christmas Kids Activities every year!
Nordic ware cozy village recipe
These Gingerbread Cake Houses turned out so cute! The Gingerbread Cake Recipe is easy-to-make, moist, and super flavorful too. The gingerbread cakes are so delicious everyone ate their entire over sized house. This nordic ware cozy village recipe is also a lot of fun for kids to decorate as a Christmas Kids Activity.
We hosted my husband’s family this year for our families Christmas get-together. When I saw these adorable pans I just knew I wanted to make cute little gingerbread houses for the kids to decorate as a fun Christmas activity and then we could all eat them after our Christmas Dinner. It was a lot of fun and the Gingerbread Cake was moist, flavorful, and oh so yummy! [Check out all recipes we’ve shared]
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
This recipe is super easy to whip up. Simply cream together the sugar and butter. Now add in the egg and molasses. Measure in the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and flour. Finally add 1 cup hot water and stir until well blended.
Nordic ware gingerbread house
Pour into greased & floured pan. We loved the Nordic Ware Platinum Cozy Village Baking Pan.
Now stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes (see cooking time on pan insert) or 1 hour if using a 9” square pan instead. Let it cook for 10 minutes and flip over. The houses will all pop right out!
Decorate Gingerbread Houses
The kids then got the chance to decorate their individual gingerbread houses. I made up some icing (but you could easily buy a ready made can too) for them to outline and decorate their houses. I also had lots of different kinds of sprinkles, mini red and green M&M’s, licorice, and other assorted candies to decorate their houses. It kept them busy for 45 minutes and was a great way to entertain them for that lull after opening presents & playing with them and dinner. They had so much fun and were so proud of their creation.
Nordic ware gingerbread
Here are some of our gingerbread village houses. The pan has I think 3 different houses. They were so moist and flavorful to eat. The individual houses were a little bigger that what I would think of as an individual serving, but they were so good everyone ate their whole gingerbread house!
Note: They are really good with homemade cream on top!
Ornament Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun and easy ornament crafts to make with your kids in December. You will love these ideas:
- Gorgeous Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Peppermint Candy Ornaments
- Easy Melted Crayon Ornaments to use up small crayon pieces
- Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Gingerbread Pirates Craft Ornament
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Paper Strip Easy Ornament Craft
- Cute Christmas Bell Craft
- Star Christmas ornament crafts for kids
- Plastic Cup Snowman Ornament
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Easy Melted Bead Ornaments
- Simple, I Spy Name Ornaments
- Colorful Pom Pom Ornaments
- Candy Cane Puzzle Piece Ornaments
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- 31 Fun December Activities for Kids
Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Magical How to Grow a Candy Cane Activity
- Polar Express Worksheets
- Free December Writing Prompts
- Alphabet Gingerbread Printables
- Count to 20 Christmas Playdough Mats
- Free Elf on the Shelf Printables
- Christmas BINGO Printable Game
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets for Kids
- Sight Word Christmas Coloring Pages
- Free Gingerbread Math Puzzles
- Grinch Worksheets
- Christmas Printables Word Family Activity
Christmas Crafts for Kids
Buy the only book you’ll need to plan all your Christmas activities this year – over 100+ Christmas Activities, Crafts, and Recipes based on Children’s Books!! Read what everyone is raving about here and then buy your book for only $9.99!
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
Breads and Side Dishes
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- Nordic Ware Gingerbread Houses Pan (opt)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 1 egg medium
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup HOT water
- non-stick spray
- First, cream together: sugar and butter. Now add in egg and molasses. Now add baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and flour. Finally add 1 cup hot water and stir until well blended.
- Now stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes (see cooking time on pan insert) or 1 hour if using a 9” square pan instead. Let it cook for 10 minutes and flip over. The houses will all pop right out!