This is just one of all recipes I’ve shared on this blog of our family tested recipes!
Valentines Day Food for Kids
How to make your own Bagels
It’s not as daunting as you may have thought! Here is a simple, tried-and-true recipe that will leave you with delicious, straight from the oven, Valentine goodness!
Valentine Heart Bagel Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 TAB veggie or canola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 TAB sugar
- 1 TAB vital gluten (that makes bread have the spongy quality – it is naturally found in a whole grain of wheat) – optional
- 2 teas salt
- 2 1/2 teas yeast
- red food coloring (optional)
Just add all the above ingredients in that order to your bread machine. Select the dough cycle and click start. About 1 hour later it will beep to indicate it is ready.
Making Heart Bagels for Kids Valentine Food
Meanwhile turn dough onto lightly floured surface (dough will be stiff). Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Then divide each portion into fourths so you will have 16 bagels all together. You can either use a small cookie cutter (dough will double when boiled) or shape each one into a smooth round, flatten with palm, and poke your finger through the middle and stretch until the hole is about 1” in diameter. Let the bagels rest about 15 minutes until water is at a rapid boil.
Bagels boil in salted water, not oil like donuts!
How to Bake Bagels for Kids
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a slotted spoon lower 4 bagels at a time gently into boiling water. Cook 4 minutes, turn and cook an additional 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon remove and put on lined baking sheet 1” apart. Repeat with remaining bagels.
- Brush bagels with 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 TAB water. Sprinkle with sesame, poppy, caraway, etc. for topping.
- Bake bagels 30-35 minutes or until deep golden. Remove and cool on rack. Eat fresh, store in ziplock bags a couple days, or freeze for up to a month.