Kids of all ages will love this Christmas art project for kids! Kids will use watercolor to reveal the Christmas mystery picture while having fun making a fun Christmas craft. This tape resist art is such a fun, easy Christmas craft for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners too!
Christmas Mystery Picture
This is a really fun Christmas activity for kids that takes just a couple minutes to prepare. All you need is paper (cardstock works best), tape, and watercolor paints to make this easy Christmas craft for preschool, toddler, pre-k, and kindergarten age kids. This is such a fun way to help kids make a fun watercolor art project in December with a fun holiday theme!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this Christmas art project that is virtually prep free!
Christmas pictures to paint
On paper (preferably cardstock so it stands up to the watercolors well) make the outline of a simple Christmas picture using scotch tape. Here are some ideas for what you can make:
- Christmas tree
- gingerbread man
Christmas Craft for Preschoolers
Now have your child paint over the paper using watercolor paint.
Hint: You may want to guide them to the main color as they start. For example I told my son to paint his picture in various shades of blue.
Christmas Craft for Toddlers
My kids eagerly painted away as they tried to figure out what their mystery picture would be!
Tape Resist Art Project Ideas
You can see over my 3rd graders shoulders that some of the snowflake is coming out. I love that the tape still holds a little color, but stays so much lighter that it really pops.
Christmas Art for Kids
Here are a couple of the finished Christmas Mystery Pictures. It is such a fun, simple concept that kids will really enjoy!
Again, this Christmas Craft for Kids is perfect for kids from 3 all the way up to 10 years of age!
Ornament Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun and easy ornament crafts to make with your kids in December. You will love these ideas:
- Gorgeous Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Don’t miss this fun-to-make Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe to creative your own festive men (it smells amazing!)
- Peppermint Candy Ornaments
- Easy Melted Crayon Ornaments to use up small crayon pieces
- Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Gingerbread Pirates Craft Ornament
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- Make one of our many clever Christmas Ornaments
- Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Paper Strip Easy Ornament Craft
- Cute Christmas Bell Craft
- Star Christmas ornament crafts for kids
- Plastic Cup Snowman Ornament
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Kids will love this beautiful, textured Yarn Chrsitmas Tree Craft. (Or get hands on with this silly Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe.)
- Easy Melted Bead Ornaments
- Simple, I Spy Name Ornaments
- Colorful Pom Pom Ornaments
- Candy Cane Puzzle Piece Ornaments
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- 31 Fun December Activities for Kids
Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Magical How to Grow a Candy Cane Activity
- Polar Express Worksheets
- Free December Writing Prompts
- Alphabet Gingerbread Printables
- Count to 20 Christmas Playdough Mats
- Free Elf on the Shelf Printables
- Christmas BINGO Printable Game
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets for Kids
- Sight Word Christmas Coloring Pages
- Free Gingerbread Math Puzzles
- Grinch Worksheets
- Christmas Printables Word Family Activity