Here is an easy to make candy cane ornament craft for kids to make this December. This super cute and easy-to-make ornament craft for kids is the perfect Christmas craft that reuses stray puzzle pieces to create a fun (non-breakable) diy ornament for kids. Use this candy cane craft as fun ornament craft idea for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
Candy Cane Ornament
I don’t know about you, but we always seem to have a couple random puzzle pieces that don’t have a home – or worse yet a puzzle missing just a couple pieces that without them is useful! So as I was trying to come up with some fun kids Christmas craft to make this year I just knew I wanted to try to utilize them! This super cute candy cane ornament craft is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students to make this holiday season.
This is just one of the 100 Christmas Crafts, Activities, and Recipes found in Christmas Crafts for Kids. The Puzzle Piece Candy Cane Ornament makes a great gift kids can make for Grandma.
Candy Cane Craft
First paint puzzle pieces red & white. You will need about about 5 red and 5 white for a medium size ornament. You may need to do 2 coats with white paint, but no need to let it dry completely between coats. You can always use more and make a beautiful wall decoration too!
Candy cane Christmas decorations
Allow pieces to dry a couple of hours or until thoroughly dry.
Candy cane Christmas ornaments
Now you have 2 choices on how to assemble your candy cane.
- Paint the pieces with Mod Podge and assemble into candy cane shape as you go, piece by piece. This will take longer to dry, but it kid friendly and produces a shiny coated ornament.
- Use a hot glue gun – Using a hot glue gone goes very quickly and is done almost instantly. However, hot glue guns are not safe for use by children and requires close adult supervision.
We did ours both ways and plan to keep one and give one away as a homemade gift.
Puzzle piece ornament
Here is our finished puzzle piece candy cane ornament.
Ornament Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun and easy ornament crafts to make with your kids in December. You will love these ideas:
- Gorgeous Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Peppermint Candy Ornaments
- Easy Melted Crayon Ornaments to use up small crayon pieces
- Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Gingerbread Pirates Craft Ornament
- How to make Salt Dough Ornaments
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Paper Strip Easy Ornament Craft
- Cute Christmas Bell Craft
- Star Christmas ornament crafts for kids
- Plastic Cup Snowman Ornament
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Easy Melted Bead Ornaments
- Simple, I Spy Name Ornaments
- Colorful Pom Pom Ornaments
- Candy Cane Puzzle Piece Ornaments
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- 31 Fun December Activities for Kids
Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Magical How to Grow a Candy Cane Activity
- Polar Express Worksheets
- Free December Writing Prompts
- Alphabet Gingerbread Printables
- Count to 20 Christmas Playdough Mats
- Free Elf on the Shelf Printables
- Christmas BINGO Printable Game
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets for Kids
- Sight Word Christmas Coloring Pages
- Free Gingerbread Math Puzzles
- Grinch Worksheets
- Christmas Printables Word Family Activity