Here is an easy to make ornament for kids. This is just one of the 100 Christmas Crafts, Activities, and Recipes found in Christmas Crafts for Kids. The Puzzle Piece Candy Cane Ornament makes a great gift kids can make for Grandma.
FREE Educational Christmas Activities
- Fun Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas Math Word Problems
- Printable Christmas Color by Division
- Phonics Christmas Trees
- Christmas Cookies Count and Color
- Simple Christmas Tracing Pages
- Fun Christmas Mazes
- Christmas Dot to Dot Worksheets
- Create-a-Word Christmas Edition
- Cut & Paste Christmas Shape Worksheets
- Printable Christmas Fact Families
- Solve & Stamp Christmas Math Worksheets
Puzzle Candy Cane Ornament
I don’t know about you, but we always seem to have a couple random puzzle pieces that don’t have a home – or worse yet a puzzle missing just a couple pieces that without them is useful! So as I was trying to come up with some fun crafts to make this year I just knew I wanted to try to utilize them!
First paint puzzle pieces red & white. You will need about about 5 red and 5 white for a medium size ornament. You may need to do 2 coats with white paint, but no need to let it dry completely between coats. You can always use more and make a beautiful wall decoration too!
Allow pieces to dry a couple of hours or until thoroughly dry.
How to Make Puzzle Piece Candy Cane Ornament
Now you have 2 choices on how to assemble your candy cane.
- Paint the pieces with Mod Podge and assemble into candy cane shape as you go, piece by piece. This will take longer to dry, but it kid friendly and produces a shiny coated ornament.
- Use a hot glue gun – Using a hot glue gone goes very quickly and is done almost instantly. However, hot glue guns are not safe for use by children and requires close adult supervision.
We did ours both ways and plan to keep one and give one away as a homemade gift.
Here is our finished puzzle piece candy cane ornament.