Make learning fun this December with this Christmas STEM Activities for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Children will use Lego and craft sticks to design and build their own Christmas tree project in this fun, educational Christmas activity for December! This is perfect for Christmas math and homeschooling during the holidays!
This hands-on Christmas STEM ideas is the perfect educational activity for homeschooling in December! This is such a fun math activity in December for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. In case you are unfamiliary with STEM, STEM means Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. These subjects can be presented in a fun, educational way. With this STEM activity, we learned how to build (engineer) a Christmas tree with Legos and craft sticks!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this engaging Christmas math activity is perfect for math centers in your classroom or a Christmas theme in your school.
Christmas stem activities
Firstly, we discussed what a Christmas tree looks like: going from big to small, balanced to keep upright with a strong base etc. We used different sized Lego bricks and different lengths of craft sticks:
There was a lot of trial and error, in which my 5 year olds patience(and mine) was tested! I would suggest this activity for a bit older child, since you need steady hands too. The base was changed until we got a sturdy one: a big square. Then came the longest stick, a brick, another stick and so on. Here, visual discrimination skills are developed by choosing the right lengths and also thinking skills in terms of placing the right length in the right place. Not to mention the attention and patience that are stretched!
Christmas STEM challenge
This last image is the tree I built. There would be a few ways to build a Christmas tree from Legos and craft sticks, but I suggest you let your children try it out and see what do they come up with.
Surely a fun way to explore Christmas tree building and developing engineering skills for your older child.
Be sure to check out more STEM activity ideas:
Looking for more fun, FREE, engaging Christmas themed math activities and worksheets for kids? You will love these:
- Christmas Word Problems – solve the Christmas addition and subtraction problems using hands-on, printable Christmas tree and ornament manipulative
- Free Christmas Dot ot Dot Printables perfect for helping kids learn while having fun
- Christmas Hundreds Chart Mystery Picture color by code to practice counting to 100 while revealing the holiday image
- Solve and Stamp Christmas Math Worksheets using bingo dauber markers
- Christmas Math 4th Grade solve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems to add pretty ornaments and presents to your Christmas tree.
- Gingerbread Addition – Practice addition three ways with this fun Gingerbread addition game
- Christmas Fact Families practice addition and subtraction with 1st Grade Math Christmas Worksheets
- Roll and Cover Math Christmas Tree activity for preschool and kindergarten age children
- Cut and Paste Christmas Math Worksheets – practice adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing to complete the Christmas tree with festive decorations.
- Bingo Dauber Christmas Math Worksheets to help 1st grade and second grade students practice addition and subtraction in December
- Christmas Math Activities for prek and kinder age students working on patterns. Use the task cards and these Christmas playdough mats to decorate the gingerbread houses with this Christmas math printable.
- Christmas Skip Counting Puzzles make practicing math fun during the holidays with kindergartners
- Christmas Counting Book – help children practice counting to 30 as they add the correct number of decorations to the math trees and write numbers 1-30.
- Count to 20 with these super cute, free printable Math Christmas Tree Puzzles
- Magical How to Grow a Candy Cane Activity
- Polar Express Worksheets
- Free December Writing Prompts
- Alphabet Gingerbread Printables
- Count to 20 Christmas Playdough Mats
- Free Elf on the Shelf Printables
- Christmas BINGO Printable Game
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets for Kids
- Sight Word Christmas Coloring Pages
- Free Gingerbread Math Puzzles
- Grinch Worksheets
- Christmas Printables Word Family Activity