Make learning fun this December with this Christmas STEM Activity for Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. STEAM means Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. These subjects can be presented in a fun, educational way. With this STEM activity, we learned how to build(engineer) a Christmas tree with Legos and craft sticks!
- Christmas Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets (math)
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than Worksheets (math)
- Christmas Fact Families (math)
- Christmas Math Worksheets + – x ÷ (math)
- Christmas Color by Number (preschool / K)
- 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages (literature)
- Memorizing Luke 2 for Families (Bible)
- Craft & Pray Around the Word (Bible & Geography)
- Christmas Writing Prompts (language arts)
- Christmas Elf Writing Prompts (language arts)
- Christmas Lights Spelling Activity (spelling)
- Gingerbread Pirate Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
- Polar Express Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
- Christmas Shapes Cut & Pates (preschool / Kindergarten math)
Christmas STEM Activities
Firstly, we discussed what a Christmas tree looks like: going from big to small, balanced to keep upright with a strong base etc. We used different sized Lego bricks and different lengths of craft sticks: There was a lot of trial and error, in which my 5 year olds patience(and mine) was tested! I would suggest this activity for a bit older child,since you need steady hands too. The base was changed until we got a sturdy one: a big square. Then came the longest stick, a brick, another stick and so on. Here, visual discrimination skills are developed by choosing the right lengths and also thinking skills in terms of placing the right length in the right place. Not to mention the attention and patience that are stretched!
This last image is the tree I built. There would be a few ways to build a Christmas tree from Legos and craft sticks, but I suggest you let your children try it out and see what do they come up with.
Surely a fun way to explore Christmas tree building and developing engineering skills for your older child.
Be sure to check out more STEM activity ideas:
Looking for more fun Christmas activities for kids? Check out these Free Christmas Dot ot Dot Printables perfect for helping kids learn while having fun. Teach kids simple physics while they have fun playing with Rudolph Races. Try one of our clever and beautiful Christmas Ornament crafts to make in December. Finally, design your own Gingerbread man with our amazing Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe.