Looking for a fun way to practice 2D shapes identification and recognition? These Christmas 2D Shape Puzzles are the perfect way to practice shape recognition and identification with your learners. This hands-on activity of matching 2D shapes to complete the puzzle are such a hands-on way to get learners learning and recognizing their 2D shapes. With a fun Christmas theme, as learners recognize the shapes of the Christmas ornaments, this activity is perfect for a Kindergarten Christmas Math Center! Simple download, print and prep the printable for your learners to use over and over again for an engaging 2D shape activity!
Learning and recognizing 2D shapes is a very important concept in a preschoolers or kindergarteners math journey. Recognizing 2D shapes helps learners build an understanding of basic geometry and practice their visual discrimination skills. This hands-on activity is a great way for learners to practice shape recognition with a fun Christmas theme!
Hands-on activities also have the added benefit where generally learners get to practice more than one thing at a time. For instance in this case, learners will practice and learn about 2D shapes, while also puzzle-solving which means they’ll be working on their fine motor skills as well.
Christmas Shapes Printable
Christmas Shapes Activity
To prep this activity you will need the following:
- Free printable (download at the end of this post)
Download and print the printable in color or black and white. Cut apart to create the puzzle pieces of the Christmas 2D shape puzzle activity!
This printable contains the following 2D Shapes:
The printable comes in both color and black and white copies for a printer-friendly version.
Each 2D shape puzzles contains 3 pieces to it. The first part of the puzzle contains the name of the shape for e.g. ‘heart’.
The next part of the puzzle contains a picture of the shape as it would be normally drawn; a simple blank image.
The last part of the puzzle contains a matching Christmas ornament in the same shape, with an added touch to give it that Christmas feeling!
Print the pages in color or black and white. You can opt to print the black and white pages onto colored paper for an extra pop of color.
Laminate the pages if desired for extra durability. If you are going to be using this activity with several learners, I highly recommend this step.
Finally, cut apart the puzzles to create the puzzle pieces for learners to match together. Each puzzle should have 3 puzzle pieces.
- Name of the shape
- Image of the shape
- Christmas ornament themed shape
For easy storage of this puzzle activity, I would recommend using a task box. This will allow you to keep all the puzzle pieces together without the risk of losing any of the puzzle pieces.
Using the Christmas 2D Shape Printable
Present learners with the puzzle pieces.
Learners will pick up the first part of the puzzle which contains the name of the shape. If they are not able to read the name of the shape, help them out with it. Once they know the shape they are working with, they can then proceed to identify the other puzzle pieces that they need.
They will then look for and pick up the puzzle piece with the blank image of the shape. They will place it below the first puzzle piece.
The final part of the shape puzzle will be to match the Christmas ornament shape to the puzzle. Learners will find the matching ornament and solve the 3-piece puzzle.
If you’re doing this activity for the first time, I would highly recommend starting off with 1 to 2 puzzles to help learners understand what they are required to do. This will help to make your learners feel more at ease and allow them to enjoy the activity more!
Once learners get more familiar with the activity, you can introduce them to all the puzzle pieces for them to piece it together.
To increase or decrease the difficult of this activity you can increase or decrease the number of puzzles used at a single time.
You can choose to use this printable with your preschoolers, kindergarteners and even first graders.
This printable would be perfect to use in morning tubs or bins, early finishers or as a math activity or center for your learners.
Looking for ideas to help kids practice letter recognition, matching upper and lower case letters, and learning the sounds letters make? You will love these fun christmas printable pages to work on phonics skills and tracing letters!
- Cut & Paste Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- SO CUTE Christmas Letter Recognition Worksheets
- Christmas Letter Tracing Strips
- Grinch Alphabet Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Christmas Phonics Puzzles
- Christmas Tracing Letters Alphabet Ornaments to trace and erase
- Christmas ABC Order Trace and Erase
- Hands-on Christmas Phonics Worksheets
- Printable Activity – Christmas ABC Order
- Gingerbread Letters – practice writing with candy canes, sensory material, and free printable!
- Literacy Christmas Worksheets for pre-k and kindergarten
Here are lots of fun and free ways to help kids practice counting from 0-10, 0-20, or 0-100 during December.
- Roll and Cover Christmas Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Connect the Dots Christmas Coloring Pages (counting to 10 or 15)
- Count to 20 Christmas Tree Playdough Mat
- Pack of Christmas Dot to Dot Printables Worksheets (counting 1-50) or free Winter dot to dot set
- Rudolph Ten Frame Christmas math activities for kindergarten
- Free Christmas Math Worksheets – Hundreds Chart Coloring (counting to 100)
- Twas the Night Before Christmas Printables Count to 10 Booklet
- Christmas Math Task Cardswith ten frames
- Christmas Count and Clip Cards
- Counting Christmas Cookies Christmas Playdough Mats
- Cute Christmas Number Tracing printable activity
- Free Christmas Counting Book
- Build a Christmas Tree Lego Stem Christmas Challenge
- Christmas Cookies Worksheet
Christmas Language Arts
Practice identifying word families, sight words, cvc words, spelling words, and so much more with these Christmas literacy activities for elementary age students.
- Christmas PresentChristmas sIght Words kindergarten
- Christmas CVC Wordss Clip Cards for December
- Printable Christmas Sight Words Match (editable!)
- Christmas Phonics Worksheets tree word family sorting
- Cute Christmas sight word coloring sheetss
- Roll & Cover Christmas Rhyming Words Worksheets
- Create-a-Word Christmas Spelling Activity
- Clever, Hands-on Christmas Spelling Activities
- Winter Kindergarten Spelling worksheets
- Christmas CVC Words Santa’s Sleigh Printable Activity
- HUGE Pack of Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
Christmas Sight Words
- Christmas Color by Sight Word Mystery Pictures
- Candy Cane Sight Words activity for December
- Christmas Sight Words – print and play games!
- Help Santa alphabetize the names on his list with these Santa Clause Worksheet
- Stringing Christmas Sight Word Activities – hands on spelling activity
- Twas the night before christmas printable book
- Christmas Spelling Test Template
Christmas Writing Prompts
Sneak in some fun writing this December with these free creative writing prompts for December.
- Christmas Writing Prompts with tracing lines and pictures to color
- Fun Elf Writing Prompts for elementary age kids
- December Writing Prompts calendar for 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and up!
- Free Printable Christmas Stationary for any of your holiday writing needs from letters to Santa, notes to Grandma, Elf musings, and more
- Winter Writing Prompts Worksheets
- Free December Writing Prompts 2nd Grade
These HUGE packs allow 3-8 year-olds to practice a variety of math, literacy, and more with fun themes!
- Snowman Worksheet Pack
- Free Nutcracker Printables
- Free Nativity Printables – huge pack for ages 3-8
- Huge pack of Nativity Activity Sheets for kids to practice math and literacy skills
- Christmas Worksheets pdf
- Twas the Night Before Christmas Activities – Free Worksheets Pack
- Nutcracker Worksheets for Kids
- Roll and Dab Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
Free Christmas Printables
This are one of my favorite December printables filled with Christmas Playdough Mats, Christmas Games like Christmas Bingo and Pictionary, Christmas Around the World, free Christmas Coloring sheets and so much more!
- Cute Free Christmas Playdough Mats for Creating Popular Christmas Items
- Hands-on Christmas Playdough Mats (pictured above)
- Printable Free Christmas Table Names Cards with jokes
- Free Printable Christmas Pictionary
- Fun & Free Printable Christmas Bingo online
- Elfie Ideas for your elf on the shelf!
- Free Christmas Around the World Worksheets plus activities for each of the 30+ countries
- Christmas Printables
- Christmas Story Christmas Scavenger Hunt (Luke 2) or this J is for Jesus candy cane printable hunt
- Free Printable Christmas Scavenger Hunt pdf
- FREE Christmas I Spy pdf pages
Christmas activity ideas
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets
- Elf on the Shelf free printables pdf (printable ideas for every day of the month!)
- FUN How to grow a Candy Cane Activity for December
- Roll a Mr Potato Head Game Printable
- Printable Christmas Stationary
- Memorizing Luke 2 for kids activity
- Clever Christmas Memory Game
- Printable Christmas Games for kids
- Santa’s Helpers – Santa Coloring Pages
- Fun & Free Christmas Maze Printable
- Memorable and Easy Christmas Bath Kids
- Christmas Shapes Cut & Paste Worksheet
- Printable Christmas Color by Number Sheets
- 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages
- Free Christmas Coloring Pages – simple sheets with iconic holiday items
- December Holiday Coloring Pages
- Sorting Christmas emotions activities
Christmas Crafts for December
Plus these fun Christmas crafts for kids are sure to get you in the mood for December 25th.
- 6 Christmas Around the World Crafts
- Sharpie Suncatcher Christmas Craft
- Easy Christmas Crafts with Yarn
- Simple Construction Paper Wreath
- My Favorite Pre-k Christmas Tree Project
- Simple Christmas Cards Kids Can Make
- FREE Christmas Hat Template
- Christmas Picture Frame Craft with perler beads
- Quick Simple Christmas Cards for kids to make
- Pretty Gumdrop Wreath Christmas Craft
- Melted Crayon Christmas Tree
- Presents Bath idea for an epic Christmas Activity for kids
- Super cute DIY Snow Globe Craft for Kids
- Christmas construction paper wreath, adorable construction paper snowman, or this paper plate snowman wreath craft
- Cute Reindeer Feet Craft
- Or here are even more free easy christmas crafts
Christmas Activities for Kids
If your kids love playdough, puffy paint, and slime these fun Christmas play recipes are a much try!
- Decorate the Christmas Putty tree
- Try this Puffy Paint Christmas Tree project
- Painting Christmas Mystery Pictures
- Easy-to-Make Puffy Snow Paint
- This Puffy Gingerbread Puffy Paint smells AMAZING!
- Cute Handprint Christmas Crafts
- Outrageously Cool Glue Snowman Craft
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Melting Christmas Tree – a simple Christmas Science Experiments
- Fizzy Ornaments Baking Soda Christmas Ornaments Experiment
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Peppermint science experiment
- Oil and Water Christmas science experiments preschool
- Dancing Candy Canes Preschool Science for December
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Science Experiments
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments kids will love!
- Grow a Science Christmas Tree project
- Easy, Epic Spinning Christmas Tree Experiment or this Ornaments-Go-Round Christmas STEM Activities with batteries
- Rudolph Race Game Combines fun and physics for kids!
- Festive Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment
- Super cool Christmas Lime Battery
Christmas Activity for Kindergarten
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!