Looking for a light chocolate cake recipe; you will love this stunning chocolate roll cake. This jelly roll cake can be filled with raspberry jelly, whipped topping, pudidng, or a variety of other delicious creams to give it a personal touch. Plus the chocolate swiss roll recipe is easy-to-make with stunning results. Use the chocolate sponge cake as a seasonal yule cake recipe or just for an extra beutiful chocolate swiss roll. Yum!
Chocolate Roll Cake
This chocolate roll cake combines a light sponge cake with a quick-and-easy whipped topping filling for a refreshing dessert that impresses. This moist and sweet jelly roll cake is perfect for chocolte lovers who want something light. The impressive look when cut makes this chocoalte jelly roll cake the perfect company or holiday dessert. Make it extra special by adding kid-favorite sprinkles to the top for a beautiful celebration cake like no other. Let’s take a peak at the materials needed and then I will show you how to make swiss roll.
Jelly Roll Cake
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this lovely Chocolate jelly roll cake recipe:
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- powdered sugar – optional topping
- Cool whip, tru whip, prepared pudding, ice cream, or jam for filling
- Chocolate syrup – optional garnish
Chocolate swiss roll recipe
This beautiful chocolate cake looks impressive, but I promise it isn’t hard to make. It is actually pretty quick and simple as there isn’t the stacking and layers of frosting to it. Instead you will add a light filling of choice. And don’t worry, I will show you how to make a roll cake!
Start with a little prep. Pre-heat your oven to 375 F. Now line a jelly roll pan with waxed paper & spray with non-stick Pam spray on the paper.
Yule log cake recipe
Beat 4 large eggs for about 5 minutes. Now add in 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup water, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
Chocolate sponge cake
Pour the chocolate cake into your prepared pan evenly. Bake the sponge cake 12-15 minutes in pre-heated overn until toothpick comes out clean.
Chocolate Jelly Roll Cake
Immediately loosen the cake and turn upside down on towel covered in powdered sugar. Pull off and discard the wax paper.
Ice cream roll cake
While the cake is still hot, carefully roll chocolate cake and towel from narrow end so it is all rolled up with the towel. Allow the cake to cool 30 minutes.
Chocolate swiss roll
Slowly and carefully unroll your homemade sponge cake & remove the towel. Spread your filling gently on the cake with a spatula. We decided to us Tru Whip, a more natural version of cool whip. But you can use prepared pudding, jam, or ice cream on the cake.
How to make a roll cake
Roll your cake back up again, starting with the same narrow side as before.
Once the cake is rolled up you can put it on a serving plate.
Chocolate roll cake recipe
Sprinkle your cake with powdered sugar for a light, non-heavy topping and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
If you prefer a richer cake you can us a ganache recipe or something like Smucker’s Magic Shell Chocolate Fudge Flavored Topping for a quick option.
How to make swiss roll
Slice beautiful layers of rolled cake to serve.
What I love about this cake is how pretty a presentation it is, but it is surprisingly quick and easy to make! Plus despite the decorative look, it is a very light, non-heavy cake. The filling and sponge cake take care of that!
No matter what you serve for dinner, this light and yummy chocolate cake roll is the perfect end to your meal that is the perfct amount of sweet and not-too-rich.
Chocolate Jelly Roll Cake Recipe
Looking for delicious, light chocolate cake reicpe that looks beautiful plated! This easy jelly roll cake has lot of filling toppings. YUM!
- Beautiful, Light, and Easy Chocolate Cake Roll or these light popcorn topped caramel cupcakes
- Summer Lemonade Cake with blackberries or this rich Peach Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Crowd Favorite Snowball Cookies, Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad, Microwave Caramel Popcorn
- Yummy White Chocolate Macademia Cookies or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Go-to Christmas cookies include Homemade Peanut Brittle Recipe, Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookie Recipe, Melt-in-your-mouth Sugar Cookies, pretty Hidden Snicker Cookies Recipes, Festive Crushed Candy Cane Cookies, Stunning Checkerboard Cookies, Buttery Old Fashioned Spritz Cookies Recipeand these Best Gingerbread Man Recipe for Kids -these cookies stay soft and taste like Christmas
- The BEST Butterscotch Pudding, Apple Carrot Cupcakes with Carmel Filling , or Icebox Summer Strawberrry Cake
- Easy Pecan Bars Recipe, Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe, Ooey, Gooey Pumpkin Lava Cake, Favorite Thanksgivng Desserts – Pumpkin Cake Roll, and Easy Pumpkin Bars with Crumble Topping are the BEST Fall Dessert Recipes
- Delicious Date Bars Recipe, Lemon Blueberry Dessert Bars, Classic Tres Leches Poke Mexican Cake
- Pies: Mom’s EASY Apple Pie from Scratch, Grandpa’s Favorite Cherry Pie Recipe, and Save the leftover crust for these simple, yummy Pie Crust Pinwheel Cookies, or these chocolate nutella cupcakes, peanut butter and jelly cupcakes
- Carmel Apple Filled Hand Pie Dough, Quick Homemade Fudgesicles, or Striped Delight – 4 layered pudding desserts
- YOu’ve got to try this Carmel Chex Mix, Kid favorite Monster Trail Mix Cookies Crazy Good Peanut Butter Bars
- See all of our favorite family recipes here
Recipes EVERYONE Asks For
- Grandma’s Homemade Crescent Rolls, Maple Orange Glazed Christmas Ham Recipe
- Yummy Peanut Butter Bars nutella chocolate cupcakes, or caramel popcorn topped homemade cupcakes
- Easy Black Bean Soup, Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheel Cookies, and Grandpa’s Favorite Homemade Cherry Pie Recipe
- Apple Hand Pie Dough Recipe with Carmel Dipm Must try Sweet Chili Recipe, and delicious spanish rice
- Peach Ice Cream Recipe, favorite Pineapple Cream Cheese Dip, better than Casey’s Taco Pizza Recipe
- Pepperoni Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch, fresh Lemon Blueberry Dessert Recipes, and My Favorite Oriental Coleslaw
- Easy Pumpkin Fall Dessert Recipes, Homemade Carmel Baked Popcorn, Apple and Sausage Early Fall Soup
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies or Holiday Shake Eggnog Recipe
- Seriously the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe, just like Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls Recipe, or PB and Jelly cupcakes
- Best Strawberry Pretzel Salad or Kid favorite Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe Easy
- Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Easy with streusal and golden marshmallows on top
- Out-of-this-World Lemonade Cake and Broccoli and Cauliflower Thanksgiving Salad Recipes
- Mom’s Loaded Potato Salad Recipe, Impress with this Summer Strawberry Dessert
- Delicious Pineapple Pico de Gallo Chip Salsa or Yummy Pear Beat Goat Cheese Salad
- Our Families GO-TO Traditional Chicken Salad Recipes, Light and Satisfying Ham Pasta Recipes
- See all of our best dessert recipes here
Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- powdered sugar for towel and sprinkling at the end
- chocolate syrup garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Line a jelly roll pan with waxed paper & spray paper with non-stick Pam spray..
- Beat eggs for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except powdered sugar and chocolate syrup. Pour the sponge cake onto the prepared pan evenly.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake and turn upside down on a powdered sugar covered towel. Pee off the wax paper.
- While hot, carefully roll the cake and towel from narrow end until it forms a log. Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Unroll the cake carefully and remove towel. Gently spread cool whip, tru whip, ice cream, jelly, or pudding on the cake with a spatula. Roll up the cake again starting with the same end.
- PUt roll on serving dish and sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with chocolate syrup.