Learn how to make Spanish rice with our quick best spanish rice recipe! All you need are a couple simple ingredients to whip up this yummy one dish meal in less than 30 minutes. This homemade spanish rice is cheap to prepare and a family favorite for its simple prep and yummy flavors. Ready to start? Here is our spanish rice recipe!
One of my favorite comfort foods growing up was spanish rice. There is just something simple and satisfying about the flavors when this spanish rice recipe comes together. You will love that our easy Spanish rice cooks up in one pot, in less than 30 minutes. That makes this spanish rice recipe easy and convenient for weekday lunches or dinners for busy families. Let me show you how to cook spanish rice that your whole family will enjoy!
How to make spanish rice
Before we dig in, you have probably noticed in the picture I use hot dogs. Spainish sausage comes in many varieties and is fantastic! But in the US, it is hard to get some of these delicious varieties I did growing up in Spain. The American substitutes just don’t do it justice. So instead I opted to make it a more family friendly, wallet-friendly version. We use nitrate free all beef hot dogs when I make it and it tasted so yummy. But if you have access, feel free to use your favorite Spanish sausage!
Easy Spanish Rice
All you need are a couple of simple ingredients you probably already have on hand:
- hot water
- onion, chopped
- tomato sauce
- green pepper
- rice (NOT instant or minute)
- hot dogs or sausage
how to cook spanish rice
This recipe really is so simple, you are going to love it! The taste of the toasted rice is super important for deepening the flavor in the dish so make sure you follow the instructions.
In large skillet melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium low – you don’t want the butter to brown yet. Add 1 chopped onion and 1 green pepper diced to the butter and stir. Now pour in the 2 cups UNCOOKED rice.
spanish rice recipe easy
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the rice is nicely browned. Toasting of the rice really adds a ton of flavor to this dish!
best spanish rice recipe
Add 2 cups hot water, 16 oz tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, a dash or two of pepper, and 4 hot dogs cut up to the rice mixture. Stir until well combined and simmer over medium heat, stirring occassionally.
spanish rice recipe
Continue to cook over medium heat until the rice has absorbed all the liquid and it is soft. This usually takes about 18 minutes.
homemade spanish rice
Serve the Spanish rice warm in a bowl for a quick, warm lunch or a simple one pot dinner.
hot dogs and rice
Each bite is filled with lots of comforting flavor, hot dogs, onion, and peppers all mixed in. It is so simple and easy to make, but so delicious.
One Pot Meals
My kids love this quick and easy meal! And I love that this recipe is really budget friendly!
This recipe feeds about 6 people, give or take their age and if you serve it with any side dishes. We don’t – we just enjoy this one pot meal, mostly for lunch. It will leave you warm and satisfied!
30 Minute Dinner Ideas
Learn how to make the best Spanish rice with our quick homemade recipe to make this yummy, one dish meal in less than 30 minutes.
Recipes EVERYONE Asks For
- Grandma’s Homemade Crescent Rolls
- Maple Orange Glazed Christmas Ham Recipe
- Yummy Peanut Butter Bars
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheel Cookies
- Grandpa’s Favorite Homemade Cherry Pie Recipe
- Apple Hand Pie Dough Recipe with Carmel Dip
- Must try Sweet Chili Recipe
- How to make simple and delicious spanish rice
- Peach Ice Cream Recipe
- Everyone’s Favorite Pineapple Cream Cheese Dip
- Better than Casey’s Taco Pizza Recipe
- Pepperoni Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Lemon Blueberry Dessert Recipes
- My Favorite Oriental Coleslaw
- Easy Pumpkin Bars with crumble Topping Fall Dessert Recipes
- Homemade Carmel Baked Popcorn
- Apple and Sausage Early Fall Soup
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies
- Holiday Shake Eggnog Recipe
- Seriously the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Just like Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- Best Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Kid favorite Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe Easy
- Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Easy with streusal and golden marshmallows on top
- Out-of-this-World Lemonade Cake with lemonade frosting and blackberries on top
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Thanksgiving Salad Recipes with bacon and cashews
- Mom’s Loaded Potato Salad Recipe
- Impress with this Summer Strawberry Dessert
- Delicious Pineapple Pico de Gallo Chip Salsa
- Yummy Pear Beat Goat Cheese Salad
- Our Families GO-TO Traditional Chicken Salad Recipes
- Light and Satisfying Ham Pasta Recipes
- See all of our best dessert recipes here
How to Make the BEST Spanish Rice Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 grene pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dasy pepper
- 2 cups minute rice
- 4 hot dogs cut
- In large skillet melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the chopped onion and green pepper; pour in the uncooked rice; Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until toasted and browned, 3-5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat until rice is done, soft. Serve warm.