You’ve got to try this easy shepherd’s pie! This best shepherd’s pie recipe is jammed pack with nutritious, yummy, and satisfying ingredients like mixed veggies, mashed potatoes, beef, and more. Our traditional shepherds pie, also known as cottage pie, is perfect for a quick weekday dinner that is delicious and filling!
Easy Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie originated from the United Kingdom. It was originally made with lamb or mutton and named after a shepherd because the mashed potato topping resembled a sheep’s fleece. In the 18th century cottage pie became the name for a Shepherds pie made with beef instead of lamb. It was named so after the poorer people who lived in cottages who would make this dish that combined common ingredients. Now-a-days most of us in the United States know this dish, no matter the kind of meat inside, as a Shepherd’s Pie; worldwide the terms seems to be used interchangeably. So my family called the beef version a traditional shepherd’s pie, so that is what I call it too.
Basically shepherd’s pie ingredients include potatoes, carrots, milk, onion, egg, bay leaf, horseradish, flour salt & pepper, beef stock, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, ground sirloi,n chives, and parsnips. When assempled with our easy directions, you will have a yummy beef pie your whole family will love! Try making this simple Shepherd’s pie recipe for dinner tonight!
Shepherd’s pie ingredients
All you need to whip up this savory pie are some simple ingredients you probably already have on hand:
- bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- beef stock
- olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- ground sirloin
best shepherd’s pie recipe
Start by preheating the broiler in your oven. Fill a pot a littl over halfway with water, sprinkle with salt, cover, and heat over high heat until boiling.
Peel and chop 5 pounds of potatoes into 2-3″ cubes, size is not important – it will only impact how long it takes to cook through. HINT: I like to also peel and chop the 3 carrots and 3 parsnips at this point so they are ready to go later on.
Now place potatoes in pot with boiling water and cook 12-15 minutes or until fork tender.
easy cottage pie
Drain potatoes in a colander over the sink and allow to cool slightly. Mash the potatoes with a mashed potato masher or beaters of hand-held mixer. Add 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup prepared horseradish to leave the mixture creamy, but slightly stiff.
traditional shepherd’s pie recipe
While the potatoes are cooking make the filling. Start by heating 2 tablespooons of extra virgin olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 pounds ground sirloin meat & brown well; about 5 minutes.
traditional shepherd’s pie
Add peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces carrots and parsnips along with a bay leaf. Sprinkl with salt & pepper.
beef shepherd’s pie
Cook until veggies are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Easy Cottage Pie
Sprinkle 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour around pan, mix together, and cook and stir for 1 minute.
You want to toast the flour so it has a nice full flavor. If you skip this step your beef gravey mixture may taste a little pasty. The purpose of the flour is to thicken the mixture into a gravy.
Now add 2 cups of beef stock and 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat to thicken gravy. It will take about 3-4 minutes of simmering to start thickening. Discard the bay leave.
Gordon ramsay shepherd’s pie
Put your meat mixture in 9×13 pan in an even layer.
Just before ready to use, add 1 egg, salt, and papper to cooled mashed potatoes and mix well.
HINT: We wait to add the egg so the heat of the potatoes doesn’t start cooking the egg and leave you with scrambled egg pieces.
Best shepherd’s pie
Spoon the mashed potatoe mixture on top of beef and spread evenly.
Broil on the middle rack about 2 minutes – or until lightly browned. Garnish with chopped chives.
simple shepherd’s pie
Serve the beef casserole dish hot and refrigerate any leftovers.
This warm, filling mixture is such fabulous comfort food that is healthy and good for you!
Homemade shepherd’s pie
THis is such a yummy dinner recipe that will take you about 30 minutes to prepare. Not bad for a homemade casserole that will satisfy the whole family!
This looks so pretty served up witht he savory meat layer topped witht he creamy mashed potatoes!
HINT: If you are short on time, you can use pre-made mashed potatoes to save a step. We grab these at Costco for an even quicker meal!
cottage pie recipe easy
This is seriously super yummy! You will love the meat, potatoes, and vegetables like Grandma use to make, all in a convenient one-dish casserole.
This is a great one pot dish to take to potlucks, friends who’ve had a baby, or those needing a meal after surgery.
Each bite has the perfect blend of savory meat, tender root veggies, and satisfying mashed potatoes! Yum!
Traditional cottage pie
You’ve got to try this best traditional shepherd’s pie! This easy dinner recipe is packed with yummy veggies, mashed potatoes, & beef!
- Skillet Orange Chicken Pasta
- Fall Apple Cider Beef Stew over Mashed Potatoes Dinner Recipe
- Copycat Casey’s taco pizza
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe EASY
- Orange Maple Ham Glaze Recipe
- Easy Orange Chicken and Couscous Recipe
- Mom’s Easy & Delicious Ham Pasta Recipe
- Super Flavorful & Juicy Grilled Pork Loin Recipes
- Easy Taco Ground Beef Salad Recipe
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Light & EASY Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Easy Mac and Cheese Pies or this homemade, traditional Best Ever Mac and Cheese Recipe
- On the grill try this Sausage Foil Packet Recipe or Simple BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Best Ever BBQ Pulled Shredded Chicken Sandwich in the slow cooker
- Lemon Chicken Pasta Instapot Recipe
- Jazzed Up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Copycat Dave’s gourmet butternut squash pasta sauce recipe
- Family Favorite Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast on cous cous bed
- The absolute best crockpot beef stroganoff recipe
- MUST try Thanksgiving leftover Turkey Pot Pie
- Learn how to make your own pasta – its easier and more delicious than you think!
- Have some yummy soup for dinner: sweet chili recipe, traditional black bean soup recipe, yummy ham bone soup, instapot easy corn chowder recipe, best ever tomato bacon soup recipe
Recipes EVERYONE Asks For
- Grandma’s Homemade Crescent Rolls, Maple Orange Glazed Christmas Ham Recipe
- Yummy Peanut Butter Bars nutella chocolate cupcakes, or caramel popcorn topped homemade cupcakes
- Easy Black Bean Soup, Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheel Cookies, and Grandpa’s Favorite Homemade Cherry Pie Recipe
- Apple Hand Pie Dough Recipe with Carmel Dipm Must try Sweet Chili Recipe, and delicious spanish rice
- Peach Ice Cream Recipe, favorite Pineapple Cream Cheese Dip, better than Casey’s Taco Pizza Recipe
- Pepperoni Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch, fresh Lemon Blueberry Dessert Recipes, and My Favorite Oriental Coleslaw
- Easy Pumpkin Fall Dessert Recipes, Homemade Carmel Baked Popcorn, Apple and Sausage Early Fall Soup
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies or Holiday Shake Eggnog Recipe
- Seriously the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe, just like Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls Recipe, or PB and Jelly cupcakes
- Best Strawberry Pretzel Salad or Kid favorite Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe Easy
- Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Easy with streusal and golden marshmallows on top
- Out-of-this-World Lemonade Cake and Broccoli and Cauliflower Thanksgiving Salad Recipes
- Mom’s Loaded Potato Salad Recipe, Impress with this Summer Strawberry Dessert
- Delicious Pineapple Pico de Gallo Chip Salsa or Yummy Pear Beat Goat Cheese Salad
- Our Families GO-TO Traditional Chicken Salad Recipes, Light and Satisfying Ham Pasta Recipes
- See all of our best dessert recipes here
The BEST Traditional Shepherd’s Pie Recipe – it’s super EASY!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- 1 large egg beaten
- 5 lb potatoes peeled and cut
- 3 large carrots peeld and cut
- 3 large parsnips peeled and cut
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2-3 teaspoons chives garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by pre-heatting your oven broiler.
- Bring a large pot of water, halfway full with salted water, to a boil. Meanwhile peel and cut into large pieces 5 pounds of potatoes. Place potatoes in the pot of boiling water and cook 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and mash them with butter, milk, horseradish, and salt & pepper. Set Aside. Add in the beaten egg just before making the pie.
- While potatoes are cooking make the beef filling by heating olive oil in large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat & brown well; about 5 minutes. Now add the chopped veggies and bay leaf; season with salt & pepper. Cook until veggies are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour around beef, stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add beef stock and bring to simmer to thicken it into a yummy, thick beef gravy; it will take about 3-4 minutes. Discard the bay leave and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- To assemple your Shepherd's Pie, put the meat gravy in a 9×13 pan. Spoon the mashed potatoe mixture over top and spread to make a nice thick layer. Broil the meat pie on the middle rack about 2 minutes – or until lightly browned. Garnish with chives and serve.