This simple set of spring math puzzles are a great way for pre-k and kindergarten age children to practice spring counting or spring addition while having fun! This spring math activity has children count the fireflies and match with the correct numeral or numeral and addition equation. This spring math activities for kindergarten is perfect for a spring theme! Simply download pdf file with insect printables and you are ready to play and learn with bug math.
Spring Maths Puzzles
This kindergarten math activity is perfect for spring or summer math! There are two levels to these spring math puzzles. Preschoolers can simply add the number of dots on the firefly wints and match with the numeral piece. Kindergartners can not only count the dots, but match it with the correct addition equation featured. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun spring math activity to make learning fun!
Spring math activities for kindergarten
As kids start to learn to count, it’s important that they get lots and lots of practice. It’s also essential that you give them lots of visuals so they can begin to connect a picture of a quantity to the numeral.
On these puzzles, kids count the spots on the butterfly and match that to the correct numeral.
This helps kids with number recognition, one-to-one correspondence (knowing that each number counted represents exactly one object) and cardinality (how many objects are in a set).
The first set of puzzles includes the numbers 1-10, with corresponding butterfly counting pictures.
You may also like this hands on set of count & compare pages with Skittles candy!
These initial counting pictures will also begin to prepare them for addition as they see the spots as two sets of dots on each butterfly wing.
So they will see four as two and two, for instance.
Once your kids are comfortable counting and are familiar with the numbers represented by each butterfly, you can move on to the addition puzzles. The goal of these puzzles is to move from counting to recognizing that two sets can be written as an addition sentence.
Each puzzle includes a picture with two butterflies, the total number of spots between the two and an addition sentence to model the picture. For example, on this puzzle, one butterfly has 4 spots and the other has one spot: The addition sentence then is 4 + 1 and the total is 5.
Kindergarten math activity
If your kids are 4 or 5 years old and just learning to count and add, they will likely still count each individual spot on the two butterflies. That’s ok! That’s developmentally appropriate, and expected.
The challenge is for them to then match the picture of two butterflies to the correct addition sentence. This may be a bit trickier for them to get, but encourage them to see each picture as two separate quantities.
So you might say, “In this picture, we see 4 spots and one spot. How would we write that using math language?”
You don’t need to use formal language such as “addition” or “plus” or “sum.” The goal is simply to see that there are multiple quantities and we can combine them using a ‘+’ symbol.
More advanced kids may like this set of addition & subtraction coloring pages.
This pdf file includes 18 puzzles. First you will find puzzles to count and recognize the numbers 1-10. Then there are 8 addition puzzles, with facts representing the numbers 3-10. I hope you have fun exploring and counting with these fun Spring counting puzzles!
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Super cute Spring Printable Bookmarks
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
Download Spring Counting & Addition Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.