One math concept that can cause so many students to stumble is fractions. Understanding what they represent, using them in calculations, and simplifying can cause such anxiety. But with a little practice simplifying fractions it doesn’t have to be so intimidating. This super cute, colorful Fraction Race math game is a great way for third grade, fourth grade, and 5th grade students to practice. Our fraction board games is an easy, low prep fraction game to work on simplifying fractions.
The race is on to reduce fractions with this fun, free printable Fraction Board Games! Students in grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 will have fun playing this fraction game as they get the practice simplifying fractions. We love making learning fun and educational math games like this are such a great way to engage children and make learning math fun! Whether you are a parent or homeschooler who is looking to get extra math practice at home to reinforce a math skill or sneak in some summer learning; or a teacher looking to try a fun math game or add this fraction game to a math center.
Fraction board games
Fraction board games printable
The goal of this game is to write fractions in their lowest form. By reducing fractions, kids work on recognizing factors and finding the greatest common factor.
In addition, by seeing fractions over and over that reduce to the same fraction, your kids will begin to recognize equivalent fractions.
While I do not recommend that they memorize all of the fractions included in this game, being able to recognize common equivalent fractions easily is helpful. Many of these will become recognizable simply by playing this game together.
This will also help your kids work on their division skills as they divide to simplify fractions.
Fraction board game
Complete instructions for how to play are included in the print, but the basic idea of the game is simple, and similar to Candyland.
- The youngest player starts by choosing a fraction card.
- They reduce the fraction to its lowest form (all fractions reduce to either 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 or 1/6).
- Then, they move forward to the closest fraction on the fraction board matching their solution.
For example, if their fraction reduces to 1/2, they move their game piece to the next 1/2 on the board.
- Play then moves to the next player, who chooses a card and plays the same way.
Fractions board game
If a player chooses a card that says, “Uh oh, flat tire,” or “Time for a pit stop,” the player loses a turn and play continues to the next player.
The first player to make it to the finish (which requires a solution of 1/6) wins the game!
I hope this fun fraction race game provides an engaging way to practice important math skills, and increases your kids confidence with fractions.
Looking for more fun fraction games for kids? You will love these free printable fraction printables for kids of all ages.
- No-Prep, Free Printable Fraction Games
- Super cute Pizza Fraction Games
- Earth Day Fraction Pack
- Hands on Easter Fractions Activity
- Printable Fraction Games
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Teaching Fractions with Lego
- Back to School Fraction Activity
- Free Printable, Colorful Fraction Bingo
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- Fraction Flower Puzzle & Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene Fraction Activity
- Pirate Reducing Fraction Game for Kids
- 30+ FUN and FREE Fraction Activities for Kids
3rd Grade Worksheets
- Free 3rd Grade Math Worksheets with answer keys
- See all our our 3rd grade worksheets and educational activities
- Grade 3 Reading Books pdf list or this printable 3rd grade reading list
- Two Digit Addition Math Game
- Three Digit Addition Math Game
- 2 Digit Subtraction Math Game
- Ice Cream Sundae Place Value Activity
- PB & J Place Value Activity
- Pirate Place Value Game
Free 3rd grade math worksheets
If you are looking for more 3rd grade math worksheets pdf to practice with your child, you will love these math worksheets grade 3!
- Free Printable Skip Counting Charts
- Skip Counting Worksheets
- Hands-on Skip Coutning Puzzles
- Lego Multiplication Flashcards – help kids gain fluency with these free printable flashcards
- Practice Multiplication with Hopscotch – quick to learn and play multiplication math game for 1-2 players
- Home Run Division – kids will get excited about practicing math with this baseball themed division math game for 1-2 players
- Deck of Cards Division -these division worksheets are ever changing making it a wonderful, hands on way for kids to practice math!
- Multiplication Mini book – help kids learn their math facts by making this handy multiplication facts book
- Skip Counting Posters – handy tool to help kids learn to skip count by 1s-12s to make a firm foundation for multiplication and division
- Robot Money Practice – easy, no prep robot themed activty for kids to practice counting money
- Telling Time Puzzles – kids will have fun putting together the puzzle as they practice figuring out what time it is
- Knights Quest Division Math Game – a clever division game with a medieval castle / knight theme!
- Hot Chocolate Math: Multiplication & Division
3rd Grade Language Arts
- FREE Book Report Tempalte 3rd Grade or this simple Book Report Template
- Creative Sandwich Book Report or this fun Pizza Book Report
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worskheets
- Detective Parts of Speech Games Printable
- 20 FUn Punctuation Activities for Kids
- Pumpkin Homophone Activity
- LOTS of FREE Printable Writing Prompts
- Free SPelling Dictionary
- Dictionary Detective Activity with free printable cases with answer keys!
3rd Grade Social Studies
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
3rd Grade Science
- Free Scientific Method Worksheet
- Playdough Layers of the Earth activity
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet
- Water Cycle for Kids Printable Book
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Recycling Worksheets
- Animal Classification Worksheets
- LOTS of projects to learn about the human body for kids
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Lesson
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Simplifying fractions game printable
Before you print your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Fraction Board Game <<
Just letting you know I love your site. As a retired teacher and now helping my daughter who is homeschooling 4, I have loved your resources!
Thank you Beth for the Fraction Race game. I’m a retired teacher helping my niece who had to be pulled out of school for the last two months due to mental health. She is a very good student and I want to reward and make fractions fun for her. Thank you again for offering this to us.
I love the Fraction Race Game and would love to play it with my class. However, I can’t get the game board to print correctly. The right side of the board prints a blue blocky pattern over the track starting at the purple 1/5. I have made many attempts at trying various ways of printing just this one page and each times it turns out the same. Could you help me with this? Thanks!