One math concept that can cause so many students to stumble is fractions. Understanding what they represent, using them in calculations, and simplifying can cause such anxiety. But with a little practice simplifying fractions it doesn’t have to be so intimidating. This super cute, colorful Fraction Race math game is a great way for third grade, fourth grade, and 5th grade students to practice. Our fraction board games is an easy, low prep fraction game to work on simplifying fractions.
Fraction Board Games
The race is on to reduce fractions with this fun, free printable Fraction Board Games! Students in grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 will have fun playing this fraction game as they get the practice simplifying fractions. We love making learning fun and educational math games like this are such a great way to engage children and make learning math fun!
Whether you are a parent or homeschooler who is looking to get extra math practice at home to reinforce a math skill or sneak in some summer learning; or a teacher looking to try a fun math game or add this fraction game to a math center.
Fraction board games printable
Printable Fraction Game
The goal of this game is to write fractions in their lowest form. By reducing fractions, kids work on recognizing factors and finding the greatest common factor.
In addition, by seeing fractions over and over that reduce to the same fraction, your kids will begin to recognize equivalent fractions.
While I do not recommend that they memorize all of the fractions included in this game, being able to recognize common equivalent fractions easily is helpful. Many of these will become recognizable simply by playing this game together.
This will also help your kids work on their division skills as they divide to simplify fractions.
Complete instructions for how to play are included in the download, but the basic idea of the game is simple, and similar to Candyland.
- The youngest player starts by choosing a fraction card.
- They reduce the fraction to its lowest form (all fractions reduce to either 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 or 1/6).
- Then, they move forward to the closest fraction on the fraction board matching their solution.
For example, if their fraction reduces to 1/2, they move their game piece to the next 1/2 on the board.
- Play then moves to the next player, who chooses a card and plays the same way.
If a player chooses a card that says, “Uh oh, flat tire,” or “Time for a pit stop,” the player loses a turn and play continues to the next player.
The first player to make it to the finish (which requires a solution of 1/6) wins the game!
I hope this fun fraction race game provides an engaging way to practice important math skills, and increases your kids confidence with fractions.
Looking for more fun fraction games for kids? You will love these free printable fraction printables for kids of all ages.
- No Prep Fractions Games
- Super cute Pizza Fractions Game
- Earth Day Fraction Pack
- Hands on Easter Egg Fractions Activity
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Teaching Fractions with Lego
- Back to School Fraction Puzzles
- Flower Fractions Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene Fractions Game
- 2000+ page of free math worksheets
Did you know we have over 1 million pages of free printable worksheets for kids – including math activities for preschoolers, kindergarten math, first grade math, 2nd grade math and alphabet worksheeets to help make learning FUN. Plus find our history lessons and amazing easy science experiments for kids
Prefer to just look at our math games by grade level? You’ll love this post!
Download Fractions Board Game
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.