One math concept that can cause so many students to stumble is fractions. Understanding what they represent, using them in calculations, and simplifying can cause such anxiety. But with a little practice simplifying fractions it doesn’t have to be so intimidating. This super cute, colorful Fraction Race math game is a great way for third grade, fourth grade, and 5th grade students to practice. Our fraction board games is an easy, low prep fraction game to work on simplifying fractions.
Fraction Board Games
The race is on to reduce fractions with this fun, free printable Fraction Board Games! Students in grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 will have fun playing this fraction game as they get the practice simplifying fractions. We love making learning fun and educational math games like this are such a great way to engage children and make learning math fun!
Whether you are a parent or homeschooler who is looking to get extra math practice at home to reinforce a math skill or sneak in some summer learning; or a teacher looking to try a fun math game or add this fraction game to a math center.
Fraction board games printable
Printable Fraction Game
The goal of this game is to write fractions in their lowest form. By reducing fractions, kids work on recognizing factors and finding the greatest common factor.
In addition, by seeing fractions over and over that reduce to the same fraction, your kids will begin to recognize equivalent fractions.
While I do not recommend that they memorize all of the fractions included in this game, being able to recognize common equivalent fractions easily is helpful. Many of these will become recognizable simply by playing this game together.
This will also help your kids work on their division skills as they divide to simplify fractions.
Complete instructions for how to play are included in the print, but the basic idea of the game is simple, and similar to Candyland.
- The youngest player starts by choosing a fraction card.
- They reduce the fraction to its lowest form (all fractions reduce to either 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 or 1/6).
- Then, they move forward to the closest fraction on the fraction board matching their solution.
For example, if their fraction reduces to 1/2, they move their game piece to the next 1/2 on the board.
- Play then moves to the next player, who chooses a card and plays the same way.
If a player chooses a card that says, “Uh oh, flat tire,” or “Time for a pit stop,” the player loses a turn and play continues to the next player.
The first player to make it to the finish (which requires a solution of 1/6) wins the game!
I hope this fun fraction race game provides an engaging way to practice important math skills, and increases your kids confidence with fractions.
Looking for more fun fraction games for kids? You will love these free printable fraction printables for kids of all ages.
- No-Prep, Free Printable Fraction Games
- Super cute Pizza Fraction Games
- Earth Day Fraction Pack
- Hands on Easter Fractions Activity
- Printable Fraction Games
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Teaching Fractions with Lego
- Back to School Fraction Activity
- Free Printable, Colorful Fraction Bingo
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- Fraction Flower Puzzle & Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene Fraction Activity
- Pirate Reducing Fraction Game for Kids
- 30+ FUN and FREE Fraction Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Fractions Board Game
Before you print your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.