If you are planning a trip to the ocean this summer, or your kids love the movies Finding Nemo and Finding Dory, they will love creating this cute ocean sceneas they work on fractions, decimals, and percents! This Ocean Math is a such a clever, engaging fraction activity for elementary age students in 3rd grade, 4th grad,e 5th grade, and 6th graders too. You could use this activity to go along with an ocean unit, or simply as a practical fraction activities. Simply print pdf file with fraction printable and you are ready to play and learn with this ocean activity for kids.
This fun fraction activity for kids is a combination of free fraction worksheets and a hands-on element of creating fun under the sea scene. In this ocean math children in grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 will get a chance to practice fractions, decimals, and percents! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler — your kids will love this fun, hands on math game to practice fractions, percents, and decimals! Use it in a math center, extra practice, summer learning, or oceam theme.
Fraction Games for Kids
Fractions, decimals and percents are such an integral part of our daily lives, it is important that kids have lots of exposure, and practice writing and using them correctly. The great thing about this Fraction Game is that it can be easily adapted for different ages and abilities, and used again and again so that the answers will be different each time.
First, print an ocean mat and recording page for each child and one instruction page. Then print and cut out the ocean animal cards.
I would suggest printing the ocean mats and animal cards on card stock and then using a laminator so this can be used over and over. You could, however, use it as a cut and paste activity if you’re only using it once.
Once the materials are ready, it’s time to create an ocean scene full of fun creatures.
Free fraction worksheets
To add an animal to your ocean mat simply roll a die and add the corresponding animal to your ocean.
For instance, if you roll a 1, you would add a blue fish.
Each child rolls the die ten times to add ten animals and fill their ocean scene. This fraction game for kids is such a fun visual and way for third grade, fourth grade, fifth grade, and sixth grade students to practice.
Once the scene is complete, your child can fill in the chart on the free fraction worksheet with the total number of each animal, and write the fraction, decimal and percent of that type of animal compared to the total animals in the sea.
Variations of the Ocean Fractions Activity:
- If you’d like to use this as an introduction using fractions, decimals and percents out of 100, multiply each animal total by ten before converting to fractions, decimals and percents. That way, the total animal count will be 100.
- To make this more challenging, increase the number of rolls to a more difficult number such as 15 or 18 (or whatever you’d like). Then have the kids write the number of each animal as a fraction, decimal and percent.
- You may also want to use this as an opportunity to practice reducing fractions to their simplest form.
Looking for more fun fraction games for kids? You will love these free printable fraction printables for kids of all ages.
- Converting Fractions to Decimals Worksheet
- No-Prep, Free Printable Fraction Games
- Super cute Pizza Fraction Games
- Fractions Decimals and Percents Worksheets
- Hands on Easter Fractions Activity
- Apple Fractions Game
- Printable Fraction Games
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Teaching Fractions with Lego
- Back to School Fraction Activity
- Free Printable, Colorful Fraction Bingo
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- Fraction Flower Puzzle & Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene Fraction Activity
- Pirate Reducing Fractions Game for Kids
- Free Printable Decimals to Fractions Worksheets
- 30+ FUN and FREE Fraction Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Printable Math Games
Looking for more fun, hands on and free math games to help kids achieve math fluency? You will love these ideas:
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Don’t Get Caught Fishy Multiplication Game
- Firefly Catch Addition and Subtraction Game
- Hopscotch Multiplication Math Game
- Hungry Caterpillars Money Games
- Knights Quest Division Game
- Leap Frog Multiplication game
- Low Prep Practice multiplication facts
- Tic Tac Toe Telling Time Game
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Simple Under the Sea Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching Ganes
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Breeding Guppies – an outrageously FUN Fish Science Experiments
- Read and Dab Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets pdf
- Ocean Animal Counting and Trace Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Go Fish Game
- Color Matching Octopus Activity for kids
- Cute Hands & Feet Lobster Craft
- Shell Letter Matching Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- Sharks for Kids Reader
- Sea Turtles for Kids Reader
- Free Printable Whale Writing Prompts
- All About Fish Printable Reader
- Ocean Counting Clip Cards
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Cute One Fish Two Fish Pdf
- Ocean Printable Multiplication Game
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Cut and Paste Fish Craft
- Printable Crab Contraction Ocean Activity for Kids
- Kid favorite Goldfish Printable Counting Activity
- Goldfish Subtraction Games for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Discover All About Whales Worksheets pdf
- All About Pinnipeds – seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle, and more
- Learn About Herps – sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander, and more!
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- Get to know Mollusks, Cephalopods, & Crustaceans for Kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms and Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Unit (250+ pages)
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.