If you are planning a trip to the ocean this summer, or your kids love the movies Finding Nemo and Finding Dory, they will love creating this cute ocean sceneas they work on fractions, decimals, and percents! This Ocean Math is a such a clever, engaging fraction activity for elementary age students in 3rd grade, 4th grad,e 5th grade, and 6th graders too. You could use this activity to go along with an ocean unit, or simply as a practical fraction activities. Simply download pdf file with fraction printable and you are ready to play and learn with this ocean activity for kids.
This fun fraction activity for kids is a combination of free fraction worksheets and a hands-on element of creating fun under the sea scene. In this ocean math children in grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 will get a chance to practice fractions, decimals, and percents! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler — your kids will love this fun, hands on math game to practice fractions, percents, and decimals! Use it in a math center, extra practice, summer learning, or oceam theme.
Fraction Games for Kids
Fractions, decimals and percents are such an integral part of our daily lives, it is important that kids have lots of exposure, and practice writing and using them correctly. The great thing about this Fraction Game is that it can be easily adapted for different ages and abilities, and used again and again so that the answers will be different each time.
First, print an ocean mat and recording page for each child and one instruction page. Then print and cut out the ocean animal cards.
I would suggest printing the ocean mats and animal cards on card stock and then using a laminator so this can be used over and over. You could, however, use it as a cut and paste activity if you’re only using it once.
Once the materials are ready, it’s time to create an ocean scene full of fun creatures.
Free fraction worksheets
To add an animal to your ocean mat simply roll a die and add the corresponding animal to your ocean.
For instance, if you roll a 1, you would add a blue fish.
Each child rolls the die ten times to add ten animals and fill their ocean scene. This fraction game for kids is such a fun visual and way for third grade, fourth grade, fifth grade, and sixth grade students to practice.
Once the scene is complete, your child can fill in the chart on the free fraction worksheet with the total number of each animal, and write the fraction, decimal and percent of that type of animal compared to the total animals in the sea.
Variations of the Ocean Fractions Activity:
- If you’d like to use this as an introduction using fractions, decimals and percents out of 100, multiply each animal total by ten before converting to fractions, decimals and percents. That way, the total animal count will be 100.
- To make this more challenging, increase the number of rolls to a more difficult number such as 15 or 18 (or whatever you’d like). Then have the kids write the number of each animal as a fraction, decimal and percent.
- You may also want to use this as an opportunity to practice reducing fractions to their simplest form.
Printable Math Games
Looking for more fun, hands on and free math games to help kids achieve math fluency? You will love these ideas:
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Don’t Get Caught Fishy Multiplication Game
- Firefly Catch Addition and Subtraction Game
- Hopscotch Multiplication Math Game
- Hungry Caterpillars Money Games
- Knights Quest Division Game
- Leap Frog Multiplication game
- Low Prep Practice multiplication facts
- Tic Tac Toe Telling Time Game
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Ocean Simple Coloring Pages
- Crab Contraction Puzzles
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Pearl Color Matching activity
- Printable Whale Cards
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Ocean Printable Count & Trace for prek / k
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- Ocean Life Sensory Bin
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Ocean Animals Printable Pack
- All About Pinnipeds (Seals, Sea Lions, & Walrus)
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Octopus Color Matching Craft
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Learn all about Whale Worksheets
- All About Pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle)
- All About Herps (sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander)
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays -with fish facts worksheets
- All About Mollusks, Cephalopods, and Crustaceans for kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms & Cnidarians for kids (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Lesson – 250+ pages of information, interesting facts, life cycles, worksheets, science experiments, and more!
Download Ocean Fraction Math Activity
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.