Make practicing counting, adding, and more extra fun with this fall counting and writing activity.
You will need:
- Apple manipulatives(make your own like us from salt dough or use mini erasers, for example. Red bottle tops can work too!)
- Green craft foam or cardboard
- Tray and some small containers
- Writing utensil(we used a red straw)
Cut leave shapes from the craft foam/cardboard. Number your leaves. You can go up to whichever number your child is familiar with. Add them to a container and add the manipulatives to another container.
Add all the supplies mentioned above to the tray as seen in the image.
Your little ones can simply pick a numbered leaf, recognize the number, write the number in the salt and count out manipulatives accordingly.
Children that are a bit older can use this tray for making sums.
First, decide if it would be an addition sum or subtraction sum. This will depend on which skill your child need practice. When introducing sums, we typically start of with addition and then subtraction.
Then, pick two leaves. For addition sums any number can go first, but for subtraction sums the largest number must go first(a lesson on its own). Add the leaves and count out the corresponding manipulatives. Now count them all together(for addition) or take away some(for subtraction) to get to the answer. Write down the answer in the salt or find the correct leave as answer.
This is a simple way to practice writing and sums, but quite effective because it is hands-on- meaning the child experiences the mathematical side by handling the manipulatives.
Would your child like this apple tray activity?
Looking for more fun apple and activities and free apple printables? You will love these apple activities for kindergarten and apple activities for preschoolers!
- Apple Math Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Super cute and FREE Apple Prek Worksheets
- Apple Number Bonds Activities
- Free Alphabet Desk Cart (apple theme and more)
- Apple Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Letter A
- Apple ABC Game
- Apple Seed Counting Activity – Count to 20
- I Spy Preschool – Apples
- Apple Sight Words Tree
- Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheet with a fun Apple theme
- Apple Number Bond to 10 Practical Activities
- Counting Apples Worksheet
- Apple Basket Multiplication Game
- Johnny Appleseed Coloring Page
- Apple Count to 20 Home Punching Apple Munching Activity
- Apple Alphabet Activity – Letter Recognition Game
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting
- Apple Life Cycle Spinner
- Alphabet Apple Lacing Craft
- Printable Apple Compound Words for Kids
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Fun Johnny Appleseed Day Activities
- Apple Find the letter and Tracing Worksheets
- Fun Apple Experiment Worksheet
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds
- Verbs for Apples
- Apple Theme BUNDLE
Apple Crafts for Kids
- Cute Handprint Apple Craft for Kids
- Paper Plate Apple Core Craft
- Apple Bubble Wrap Art Projects
- ABC Apple Lacing Craft
- Coffee Filter and Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Awesome Apple Pie Playdough Recipe
- 3-in-1 Apple Activities for Toddlers
- Printable Apple Tray Counting and Writing
- Easy Apple Pie Playdough that smells like fall!
- Plus don’t miss this FUN Apple Crafts for Preschoolers