Apples are a wonderful snack, but when teeth are coming and going like my children’s are, they need to be sliced. Then the apples turn brown. Fast food restaurants solve this problem by adding an acid, but that makes the apple sour. So we decided to create an Apple Stem engineering challenge to solve this real-world problem. This apple activity would be a great topic for a science fair, or just to solve a problem many families face. This apple science will have children creating an artificial skin that will keep the inside of the apple from oxidizing. This apple science experiment is perfect for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too.
Have you ever wondered why apples turn brown? Or better yet, how to stop apples from turning brown. In this apple stem activity we will explore how we can stop apples from turning brown while exploring the scientific method of problem solving. This stem activity for fall is great for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. So let’s dive right in and explore an Apple STEM project!
Why do apples turn brown?
Oxidation is a process in which oxygen binds to the molecules of the apple. As this happens the flesh of the apple turns brown and a little mushy. In order to prevent this process you can bind something else to the flesh of the apple, which is what the restaurants do. The down side is that the flavor of the apple is distorted. Another possible solution is to protect the flesh of the apple from the air. This is the challenge for your child.
Apple Stem Activity
For this experiment you will need apple slices and whatever your child chooses to make a skin to help the apple not turn brown such as: plastic, foil, and cheese.
Control and experimental variables
When testing your child’s solutions be sure to compare against an apple slice that is open to the air. This is known as the control group. By watching the control apple slice turn brown, you can decide when you should evaluate the effectiveness of your strategies. The various skins are the experimental variables, and the apples wearing them are the experimental groups.
Apple Science Experiment
Science as a cyclical process
If your child finds something that seems to work, discuss how the solution could be improved. Try again. One of the things that experts are really emphasizing right now is the importance of seeing the
scientific process as cyclical. Go through a set of trials, analyze your results, then go through another set of trials.
Who knows, your child may come up with the solution we are all using to pack lunches five years from now!
- FREE Apple Prek Worksheets or apple worksheets preschool
- Apple Recipes for Kids, plus how to make homemade applesauce and yummy best apple recipes
- ACTIVITIES – scented apple pie playdough, super soft apple playdough recipe no cook, apple pie playdough, fun apple pie slime, fluffy apple slime (yellow), laffy taffy apple slime (green), and September activities for kids
- ALPHABET – letter recognition apple activity, apple letter tracing worksheets, Apple ABC Game, a is for apple printable letter sounds apple book, a is for apple tracing worksheet, a is for apple printable alphabet mats, sticker a for apple activity,
- LANGUAGE ARTS – alphabet apple lacing craft, apple pre-k sight words tracing strips, apple sight words printable activity, synonym and antonym worksheets, apple compounds words worksheet grade 1, apple noun and verb sort, and free September writing prompts
- SCIENCE – errupting apple science expeirment, free apple investigation worksheet, apple life cycle printable spinner, apple volcano, apple browning experiment with free worksheet, apple life cycle printable pages, skittle apple science experiment, melting apple science experiment, apple stem activity
- COUNTING – apple count to 20 free printable hole punch activities, apple i spy printables for preschoolers, count to 20 apple playdough mats, hole punch apple counting, apple counting coloring pages, apple counting spin and count on ten frame, apple counting worksheet, free apple counting worksheets, apple counting worksheet, apple seed counting to 20 activity, and count to 20 apple playdough mats, apple roll and cover number sense game
- MATH – hands-on apple number bonds activity, math worksheets for kindergarten, adding within 10 apple math, apple multiplication game, apple fractions game, fall unifix cube pattern cards, and sticker addition worksheets
- CRAFTS – cute apple handprint craft, parts of an apple craft, bubble wrap apple craft, Johnny appleseed addition coloring worksheets, lacing paper plate apple craft, stunning apple art preschool, paper plate apple core craft, and September crafts
- Check out these apple books for preschoolers, free apple worksheets preschool, how to make an apple pie and see the world activity, fun Johnny Appleseed activities, free Johnny Appleseed coloring pages, or our apple theme preschool
Popular Science Activities
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- Quick and EASY Lemon Volcano or 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water) or Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries or 24 Epic Solar system science projects
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density and Color-Changing Flowers
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments, Simple Galaxy science project, and Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane, Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project and Amazing POP rocks science experiment
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers, fun How to Make a Lava Lamp, 30 Simple machines science projects
- Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment, Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments or teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit, Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity , Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials, EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment, and Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Color Changing Slime or l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes , neat burning candle experiment worksheet answers
- Human Heart for Kids, hands-on Human Body Project, LOTS of Life Cycles for Kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment, amazing Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make orthis cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Life Size Skeletal system science project, free parts of the brain worksheet and project, fun science experiments
- Hands-on Newton’s cradle project, DIY draw bot for kids to make, playdough human body game
- EASY Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle that will WOW and LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!