Make learning fun by using a super cute, free printable, number sense games. They not only keep kids engaged, but playing games teaches math concepts just as easily as completing a free math worksheet. This free printable cover that number dice game helps teach preschool, pre k, and kindergarten students about number sense, counting, and number recognition!
Cover that Number Dice Game
This super cute, free printable Cover that Number Dice Game is a fun way to teach counting, number recognition, make 10, and make 20 math concepts while having fun! Use this number sense games for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. The colorful apple theme is super cute for not only September in the fall, but any time of the year.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this roll and cover dice game. Use it as an apple theme activity, at a math center in your classroom, to make practicing counting fun as you school at home, or as a supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Roll and Cover Dice Game
Number Sense Games
This fun and free printable Cover that Number Dice Game is a fun game to help preschoolers and kindergartners learn about number sense while having fun!
What is Number Sense? While the sole focus of elementary mathematics used to be arithmetic and computation, that is no longer the case. With the advent of calculators and computer technologies, the need for skill and precision in computation is not as great. What is much more necessary and important is developing number sense in our kids, especially in the early years.
Generally, number sense can be described as, “fluidity and flexibility with numbers, a sense of what numbers mean, and an ability to use mental mathematics to negotiate the world and make comparisons.” (source: Keith Devlin at The Huffington Post)
Kids who possess strong number sense understand how to put together and break apart numbers to solve mental calculations, recognize unreasonable answers, use math to solve everyday problems, make connections between operations and make reasonable estimates.
Roll and Cover
So as I seek to develop number sense in my kids, I created a set of games that has been a fun addition to our math time.
Skills covered in this set of printable math games:
- Number recognition
- Subtilizing (recognizing the quantity of a set at a glance, without counting)
- Counting on
- Addition to 10
- Addition to 20
- Mental math skills
Cover the Number Dice Game
This download includes 5 different games for kindergarten and first grade.
- The first 3 games focus on counting and number recognition.
- The first is played with 1 die and focuses on the numbers 1-6.
- The second uses two dice and focuses on the numbers 2-12.
- The third uses three dice to focus on the numbers 4-18.
- The last two games focus on addition skills within 10 and 20.
These roll and build number sense game require covering the missing number to make ten or make 20, as opposed to covering the number that was rolled.
Roll and Cover Math Games
All you need to get started are a set of dice and some markers to cover the numbers on the game board. We used two different colors of unifix cubes to cover the spaces, but you could use two-sided counters, beads of different colors, etc. Anything will work, as long as you can tell your pieces apart from your partner. To play, roll the dice and count the total number.
Number Recognition games – simply cover the number that you roll.
- For example, if you’re working on the three dice game and roll a 4, 6 and 2, you would cover 12 on the game board.
- If the number you roll is already covered, you lose your turn and play continues to the next person. Play continues this way until the board is covered.
- The person with the most spaces covered wins!
Addition Games – you still begin by rolling the dice and adding up the total. Then you cover the number that would be used to make ten or make twenty.
- For example, if you roll a 3 and a 4 your total is 7. So you would need to cover 3 on the game board to make ten.
- Or you would cover 13 on the addition to 20 game board.
- Again, play until the board is covered, and the player with the most spaces wins.
Free Math Printables
- Hungry Caterpillar days of the week worksheets
- First Grade Mad Minutes
- Addition Printable Mini Book
- Hundreds Chart Activities
- Deck of Cards Subtraction Worksheets
- Skip Counting Printables Mazes
- Princess Addition Flashcards
- Robot Money Practice
- Telling Time Game Puzzles
- 12 Math Pictures books that Teach
- Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets with Hidden Pictures
Looking for more fun apple and activities and free apple printables? You will love these apple activities for kindergarten and apple activities for preschoolers!
- Math Apple Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Super cute and FREE Apple Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Apple Roll and Cover Dice Game
- Hole-Punching, Count to 20 Apple Activities for Preschoolers – free printable
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting
- Apple Addition Coloring Worksheets
- Number Bonds Apple Math
- Apple Counting Worksheet
- Free Printable Multiplication Games
- Letter A Worksheets, printables, and games for kids
- Apple Themed Free Alpahbet Strip pdf Activity
- Alphbet Puzzles – Apple Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Apple Sight Words Tree
- Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheets pdf with a fun Apple theme
- Apple Letter A Activity sorting upper and lowercase letters for pre-k and kindergarten
- Printable Apple Compound Words Worksheet
- Find the Letter Apple Tracing Worksheets
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds – print in black and white or color
- Color the correct apples in these Nouns and Verbs Worksheets
- Apple Theme BUNDLE
- Free Apple Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Printable Apple Life Cycle Spinner
- Simple Johnny Appleseed Coloring Page
- Fun Johnny Appleseed Activities
- Free Printable Apple Experiment Worksheet
- I Spy Preschool Apple Worksheets
Apple Crafts for Kids
- Cute Apple Handprint Craft for Kids – w/ free printable
- Easy Apple Core and torn paper Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Alphabet Lacing Apple Craft
- Clever Bubble Wrap Apple Craft
- Coffee Filter Apple Craft
- Awesome Apple Pie Playdough Recipe
- 3-in-1 Apple Activities for Toddlers
- Printable Apple Tray Counting and Writing
- Plus don’t miss this FUN Apple Crafts Preschool
Roll and Cover Free Printables
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.