September is one of my favorite months. It means back to school, apple month when we talk about Johnny Appleseed, leaves begin changing into beautiful colors, life on the farm, scarecrows, and the beginning of fall. We’ve got lots of really fun, seasonal September Activities to help you make the most of September with kids. These fun ideas for toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade children to try this fall.
Everyone is back at school and the long slow days of summer are over. Soon Fall will be here, and that’s the perfect time to try some of these fun September activities. There is something for everyone in this list of September activities for kids. It includes sensory play ideas, science and STEM activities, hands-on learning activities, and some simple recipes to make with the kids.
Celebrate the change of seasons with lots of Fall activities, make some fun apple themed ideas, or try some fun scarecrow crafts. So many activities for kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. There are enough ideas and activities on this list that you can try something new every day in September.
Fall Activities for Kids
- Autumn Pasta Sensory and Fine Motor Activity from Firefly Magic. This gorgeous Fall coloured sensory bin also doubles as a great fine motor activity.
- Salt Crystal Leaves from Little Bins for Little Hands. This is a cool Fall themed STEM activity.
- Fall Playdough from The Best Ideas for Kids Try one of these Fall colored and scented playdough recipes.
- Kids will have fun completing pictures with circle stickers while learning color words with these Free Fall Color Words Worksheets
- Fall Alphabet and Number Playdough Mats from Look We’re Learning. What a great, hands on way, to practice letter and number formation.
- Free Printable Fall Nature Scavenger Hunt for kids of all ages.
- Learn shapes with this fun Free Fall Shapes Emergent Reader
- Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt from Edventures With Kids. This is such a fun activity and the free printable makes it so easy to do.
- Learn the Names of Trees with this Fun, FREE Science Scavenger Hunt
- Fall Slime from Natural Beach Living. I love the shimmery colorful Fall leaves in this slime recipe.
- Work on number recognition with these Free Fall Color by Number Worksheets (or try with alphabet or addition)
- Fall Sensory Bottle from Kids’ Craft Room. What will you collect to make your Fall sensory bottle?
- 30 Fall Playdough Recipes
- Applesauce Oobleck Recipe from Little Bins for Little Hands This cool sensory science activity smells like apples and cinnamon!
- Count to 20 Apple Hole Punching activity is such a clever, free printable activity to help kids practice counting.
- Practice matching beginning sounds with this Free Apple ABC Game
- Apple Counting Activity from Teaching Two and Three Year Olds. Set up a fun counting activity with this free apple themed printable.
- Practice counting with this apple threading counting activity
- Apple Scented Playdough from Danya Banya. Your whole house will smell like apples when you make this dough.
- Hands on Apple Sight Word Activity perfect for sneaking in an educational activity with early learners.
- Apple Letter Find Worksheets are a fun free printable for kids to practice recognizing letters from A to Z.
- Sneak in some science to teach kids about life cycles with this Free Apple Life Cycle Spinner
- Practical Engineering Challenge with Apples
- Another fun way to practice counting to 10 is with these fun, FREE Apple Count to 10 Playdough Mats
- Apple Preschool Counting Puzzle from Look We’re Learning. This free printable is a great way to work on numbers up to ten.
- Kids will have fun working on phonics as they make their own adorable, Free Apple Phonics Flip Book
- Edible Bubble Science Experiment with Apples from Preschool Powol Packets. This is a super fun science experiment.
- Sneak in some math with these cute, Free Apple Addition Coloring Pages.
- Kid-made Apple Muffins from Kids in the Kitchen. There is nothing better than a warm apple muffin!
- Practice ABCs with this fun apple lacing activity.
- Easy to whip up, taste safe Apple Cider Playdough Recipe
- Scarecrow Sensory Bin from Pre-K Pages. Make a mini scarecrow!
- Crows and Scarecrow Printable Puppets from Crafts Unleashed. These cute puppets are perfect for acting out songs or stories.
- Scarecrow CVC Word Activity is a fun way for kids to improve reading skills.
- How to Play Scarecrow Tag from Childhood 101. Do you remember playing this classic kids game?
- Scarecrow Site Word Activity from The Letters of Literacy. Use these gorgeous printables and idea to practice site words.
- Practice pronouns with this fun, Free Pronoun Game
- Scarecrow Playdough Mat from This Reading Mama. Make a play dough scarecrow and try some of these other fabulous free printable Fall play dough mats.
- Practice Sight Words with this simple Scarecrow Sight Words Game
- Scarecrow Felt Busy Box from Teach me Mommy. This is such a cute idea for a busy box!
- Work on a variety of skills in math and literacy with these Free Scarecrow worksheets
- Scarecrow Sensory Play from Fun a Day. How cute are the tiny hats in this sensory bin!?!
- Corn Kernel Measure and Play Sensory Bin from A Little Pinch of Perfect. A great science and sensory play activity.
- Practice counting to 20 with these fun, FREE Count to 20 Corn Playdough Mats
- Indian Corn Sensory Bin from Still Playing School The colors of the indian corn make for an amazing sensory bin filler.
- Corn and Play Dough Activity from Pre-K Pages. What a simple but awesome idea to combine play dough and corn.
- Fall on the Farm Corn Sensory Bin from Gifts of Curiosity. Dried corn kernels make a great base for this fun sensory bin.
- Flavoured Popcorn Recipe from Picklebums. This is an easy treat to make with your kids.
September Activities for Kids
- Owl Tangram Mat from Simple Everyday Mom. Try these gorgeous free printable tangram puzzles, there is an owl and 6 other fall themed mats.
- Practice math with these FREE Acorn Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Pinecones and Cinnamon Sensory Soup from Next Comes L. So much fun, and it smells divine!
- Acorns Everywhere Sensory Bin from I Heart Crafty Things Read the book and hunt for acorns! So fun!
- This adorable Nuts about the Alphabet game is a great way for kids to work on their ABCs.
- Acorn Ordering and Sorting from Rainy Day Mum. This is the perfect hands-on math activity for Fall.
- AMAZING Why do Leaves Change Colors Science Experiment for kids of all ages.
- Acorn Brushing and Counting Activity from Growing Hands on Kids. Once the acorns are clean, use the free printable for a great counting activity.
If you’ve got kids who love art and crafts and you need even more activity ideas to keep everyone busy during September, then take a look at these fun September crafts for kids. There are lots different September themed art and craft ideas to try.
You’ll be busy playing and learning all month long with this great list of September activities for kids!
Looking for more apple printables to go along with your theme? Check out these super cute free printables:
- Apple Sight Words Tree Activity
- Free printable alphabet strip for working on letter recognition
- Free Apple Math Worksheets
- Counting Apples Worksheet
- Apple Addition Coloring Worksheets
- Apple Counting Activity for Preschoolers
- Printable Apple ABC Game
- Apple Science Experiment Preschool
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting to 20
- Apple I Spy Preschool
- Apple Life Cycle Preschool Spinner
- Free Apple Worksheets for Preschoolers
- A is for Apple Printable Book for learning letter sounds
- Apple Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Fun Johnny Appleseed Activities
- Bubble Wrap Apple Tree Craft
- Easy Apple Core Craft
- Alphabet Apple Lacing
- September Art Projects for Preschoolers
- Lots of fun September Activities for Kids