Make learning fun this September, October, and November with this easy Fall Unit Study. We have a full week-long fall theme complete with free educational activities to teach language arts, math, science, and art! This is such a fun theme for homeschooling families to learn together – from preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade to 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students!
Fall Unit Study
Themes are a great way to make learning fun and keep kids engaged as they learn math, grammar, reading, writing, science, history, and crafts with a fun theme. This fall unity study will allow you to teach all your elementary age kids from preschoolers, kindergartners to grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6. Not only do using themes like this autumn unit study save on prep time for you, but allows the whole family to learn together in a fun, hands on way! All of the activities we’ve included are free!
Make sure to check out all our themes for learning together as a homeschool family!
Fall Books for Kids
Here are two suggestions for using books in your fall unit study:
- Read a different book each day, Monday through Friday
- Choose your favorite book (s) and read it all 5 days of the week. Remember kids adore repetition, so don’t worry about boring your children!
If these books don’t work for you, check out this awesome list of 24 Fall Books for Kids!
Choose a fall language arts activity or two for you and your children to enjoy. The Fall Coloring Pages for Children are perfect for kids who aren’t writing yet. Coloring develops the fine motor control kids need for handwriting!
- Leaf Art – Prewriting Activities for Fall
- Fall Color Words Emergent Reader
- Fall Color by Sight Word
- Felt Fall Tree Color Rhyme
- Pumpkin Word Family Sliders
- Fall Themed Mazes (Free Printable)
- Writing Prompts: September, October, November
- Fall Theme Word Search Printable
- Bingo Marker Fall Mystery Pictures (stamp by letter)
- Candy Corn Phonics Puzzles
Fall Math Activity
Check out the adorable Fall Color by Number sheets. Color by number sheets are perfect for solidifying your children’s number recognition.
- Fall Counting Worksheets
- Counting Apple Mini Book
- Apple Number Bonds Activity
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Pumpkin Shape Puzzles
- Candy Corn Addition / Subtraction Puzzles
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Acorn Number Bonds Math Worksheet
- Candy Corn Number Puzzles
- Fall Leaf Sorting with Free Printable Cards
- Fall Number Mats
- Pumpkin Order of Operation Math Puzzles
- Acorn and Squirrel Counting Cards
See if your older children can complete this Practical Engineering Challenge with Apples!
Fall Art Project
Apple Art Projects
Your kids will love creating these apple tree paintings with bubble wrap. Of course the trick may be to keep the kids from popping the bubbles long enough to paint!
- Pinecone Apple Craft
- How to Make a Footprint Apple Tree Keepsake
- Fall Craft for Kids: Stuffed Paper Apples
Leaf Art Projects
You have so many choices when it comes to studying leaves. My personal favorite is this Kadinskey Inspired Fall Art Project. The kids study a famous artist and then create their own artwork!
Grab your older children and preserve a few leaves for fall decorations!
Pumpkin Art Projects
Have you ever finger painting with the insides of a pumpkin? It’s an entertaining, unique, and slimy activity all your kids will love! So grab a pumpkin and try painting with the inside of a pumpkin this week.
Other, less slimy, pumpkin activities, include:
- Painting Pumpkin and Gourds
- Handprint Keepsake Pumpkin Craft
- Saving Seeds – Plant Science
- Toilet Paper Tube Pumpkins – A Fall Craft
- Pumpkin Seed Turkey Craft
- Mixed Media Pumpkin Project for Fall
Fall Science Projects
- Help kids explore why do leaves change colors with this fun, hands on science experiment
- Learn to identify various different leaves with this Fall Fall Scavenger Hunt
- Realistic Leaf Coloring Pages
- Edible Bubble Science with Apples
- Learn about a Pumpkin Life Cycle
- Apple Science & Math Lesson
- Preschool Leaf Science Experiment
- Send your kids off on a Fall Scavenger Hunt ~ A Fun Free Printable.
- Enjoy a Nature Hike with your children to see fall in all it’s glory! Grab the “Take a Hike” Nature Hunt (free printable) and see how many fall objects you can find.
- More Fall Science Experiments for Kids
Fall History Ideas
- Learn about Johnny Appleseed
- Family “Tree” Project for Kids
- With Thanksgiving coming up you can dive into the world of early colonists and learn about the pilgrims.
- Take a fieldtrip to a local farm to see the animals, harvest, canning
- Take a fieldtrip to a local orchard or pumpkin patch to observe how apples / pumpkins grow