Kids will improve literacy skills so they can start predicting word patterns and read with this SUPER DUPER cute Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity. Use this free pumpkin activity printables to improve reading and phonics skills with preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students. This pumpkin them activity is perfect for centers in the month of October or as aThanksgiving them activity for November.
Word Family Activity
Young children learn best when they are excited to learn and are having FUN! This super cute, educational activity uses a pumpkin them perfect fall months. Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will put together the word family puzzles as they sound out the ending sound, the blends of sounds that form a word family. Children will practice correctly identifying 4 words that belong in the same group in this word family activity. This free pumpkin activity printables is perfect for improving oral discrimination and predicting word patterns students will need to read.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler -you will love this hands on phonics activity for children. Use it as extra practice as you school at home, a literacy center in your classroom, or a supplement to your homeschooling curriculum.
Free pumpkin activity printables
Word Families Kindergarten
To get started with this fun word family game the printable pumpkin pie puzzles for the word families you wish to work on in color on cardstock or laminate for durability. I like to store the puzzles in ziplock bags or file folders to have this engaging literacy activity handy whenever we want to sneak in a fun learning game.
HINT: On the bottom of the page is a list of what each picture stands for in case kids get stuck as to what the item represents.
Next cut out the pumpkin activities for kindergarten. Then cut the pumpkin pie into five slices by cutting along the solid black lines. Now each slice will have only one image or word ending on it.
First Grade Word Families
Each pie focuses on a different word family like “ot”. Thre are five slices, one with the “ot” word and four others with images that rhyme with one another.
The word families covered in this literacy activity are:
- op word family – mop, top, shop, pop
- ot word family – dot, pot, cot, hot
- og word family – dog, fog, hog, log
- ip word family – dip, lip, rip, tip
- in word family – fin, tin, chin, bin
- it word family – sit, pit, lit, hit
- et word family – wet, jet, net, vet
- en word family – den, pen, ten, hen
- ed word family – bed, wed, red, fed
- ug word family – bug, fug, mug, jug
- ub word family – sun, Nun, bun, run
- un word family – cub, rub, tub, sub
- ap word family – map, cap, sap, tap
Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten
Children can try to make just a couple pies at a time – for example all those with the same middle vowel sound. The more pies kids put together at a time, the more difficult the activity. Kids will continue until they’ve made all 14 pies.
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
- Free pumpkin activity printables that uses Pumpkin Candy to Count and Trace
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Pumpkin Letter Tracing – use with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Sight Word Game
- These super cute Pumpkin Alphabet puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Lots of FUN October Activities for Kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun pumpkin addition task cards are super cute and make practicing fun for kids
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzles
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Letter Tracing printable
- Super cute pumpkin pie counting activity – pile on the “whip cream”
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes playdough mats
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- This find the letter free pumpkin activity printables
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Games for Preshoolers
- Work on One to One Correspondence Kindergarten with this pumpkin pie themed math activity
- Work on Number Bonds to 10 with these pumpkin themed math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Kids will love this Pumpkin Phonics activity where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this free pumpkin activity printables
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
Download Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activities
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!