Get outdoors with your kids this fall and enjoy the beauty around you as you enjoy this fun, free printable leaf scavenger hunt. This autumn activity is perfect for pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Children will learn about the different types of leaves and trees around them and the vibrant colors they come in!
Leaf Scavenger Hunt
Sneak in some science this fall with this fun scavenger hunt for kids! Grab the free printable scavenger hunt and let’s head outside to enjoy the beautiful fall feather, gorgeous red, green, orange, and yellow leaves falling down. Explore animals, crunch in leaves, and take a nature hunt as you look for the types of trees on your leaf scavenger hunt. This is such a fun botany activity for kids to learn about the various types of trees with this delightful activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a great way to get outside, get some exercise, and learn about science!
Leaf Scavenger Hunt Printable
Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt
There are two scavenger hunt ideas included in this free printable. One of the templates is an option for young children to work on color recognition with a simple color leaf scavenger hunt. Students will look for pretty fall leaves that are brown, green, orange, red, yellow, and multicolored.
Fall Scavenger Hunt Ideas
The other fall scavenger hunt idea helps students learn about the huge variety of leaves around them by helping them to find and identify 7 common trees.
- Aspen Leaf are oval and turn lime green or yellow in the fall. You fan find the Aspen tree by observing the bark of the trunk. The white bark will feel smooth and bear scars where branches have come off. The bark on younger trees will be a silvery-gray or yellowish shade of gray.
- Beech Leaf is dark green and leathery. The leaf shape is round to heart-shaped. The leaves turn golden in the fall. Every few years, a beech tree will make small brown nuts called beech nuts that a lot of small animals enjoy eating.
- Juniper Leaf is an evergreen – meaning the green bristles will always be green, even in cold, snowy weather. Junipers grow well in shallow, rocky soil with their roots often aboveground. Junipers can grow as a low, spreading shrub or as an upright tree.
- Maple Leaf are large with a distinct many-pointed shape. Maples are one of the most beautiful trees in the fall with their brilliant red and orange leaves! Maple trees produce flowers and fruit in the spring. The wood from maple trees is very sturdy and for this reason it is often used to build furniture and even musical instruments!
- Oak Leaf can be yellow, red, orange, or any mix of those colors. The oak tree is sturdy and wide. The tree has a gnarled look, with each of the branches kinked and snaking outwards.
- Pine Leaf is also called pine needles and is always green. Because they always have their leaves they are great for privacy, slowing wind, and protecting animals in the winter. Kids love to connect pine cones that fall the the ground in the fall; these are actually giant seeds!
- Spruce Leaf come from an evergreen tree. The spruce tree has a conical shape and their leaves are also called needles.
Fall Activities for Preschool
Looking for more fun, fall printables to make leaning fun for prek kids? Take a peak at these:
- Pumpkin Shape Games for Preschoolers
- Fall Bingo Dauber Printables
- Pumpkin Pie Counting Activity
- Fall Sticker Worksheets
- Tracing Numbers Worksheets for Fall
- Fall Shapes for Preschoolers Printable Reader
- Autumn Color by Letter Kindergarten
- Fall Playdough Cards
- Free Printable Sight Word Games for Fall
- Fall Color by Number Worksheets
- Printable Fall Counting Worksheets
- Pumpkin Traceable Alphabet
- Fall Counting Pumpkins Reader
- Printable Hat Fall Crafts for Preschoolers
- Fall Number Mats
- Nature Scavenger Hunt Printables
- Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Fall Sequencing Activities
- Free Alphabet Flip Book Printable – apple theme
- Fall Number Game for Preschoolers
- Fall Worksheets for Preschool – HUGE pack!
- Cereal Fall Tree Craft
- Printable Leaves Fall Wreath Craft
- Why do leaves Change Color Experiment
Free Printable Scavenger Hunt
Looking for ways to help teach and entertain kids at the same time? You will love these printable scavenger hunts for elementary age kids.
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of choices for younger kids and educational fieldtrip options too
- Easter neighborhood easter egg hunt
- Luke 2 Christmas Story scavenger Hunt
- Christmas Christmas Scavenger Hunt – christmas decorations, christmas movie, christmas selfie
- Kids Halloween Scavenger Hunt
- Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt Activity
- J is for Jesus Candy Cane Scavenger Hunt
- Noun Scavenger Hunt
- Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
- Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt for kids – great way to learn about the different type of trees in your area
- Library Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of options inlcuding search by genre, specific books, resource to get to know your library, using book catalog, and more!
- Simple Nature Fall Scavenger Hunt
- St Patricks Day Scavenger Hunt
- Creative Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Scavenger Hunt – head out and explore your neighborhood or use as a car activity
- Scavenger Hunt BINGO
- Free Printable Indoor Scavenger Hunt PDF
- Over 76 FREE Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids
Download FREE Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers!
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and clipart.com
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!