Make practicing reading fun with these super cute, free printable pumpkin Word Family Sliders! Learning to read rhyming words is the first step towards learning to read. This pumpkin printable is perfect for preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students to make learning fun. Each word family printable has not only the word, but a picture clue too!
Word Family Sliders
This fun, free pumpkin printable contains 25 short vowel words for children to practice reading. We love ways to make learning fun and these super cute word family sliders are sure to be a hit! We have a template in color or black and white to choose from. This word family activity is great for preschoolers, kindergarteners, and grade 1 students. Plus I love that they have a picture to connect with the words.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this handy word family worksheet. Use this in a pumpkin theme, p is for pumpkin, fall themed activity, literacy center in your classroom, or as extra practice reading. No matter how you use it you will love this fun educational activity for kids.
Word Family Slides Printables
I suggest printing on cardstock to make them easier for young hands to manipulate. Cut out the pumpkins, letter trip, and picture strips. Cut slits in the pumpkins and insert the slider strips as shown below by threading the word or picture strips through the bottom slit from the back, then slide it into the top slit from the front.
Word Family Activities
Developing confidence with word families is super helpful for young children learning to read. It helps them understand how sounds are put together and how we can manipulate the sounds to quickly make new words and meanings.
Switching out the beginning letter lets them practice this skill even if they only have a short time, or if they have a short attention span. These sweet pumpkins are great for fall and they also encourage kids to use their fine motor skills.
Word Family Printable
Children slide the word and picture strips up and down until the word matches the picture. Make sure children read the words out loud as they make them.
Another option is to make a word (but not say it) and then ask your child to find the picture; or give them a picture and ask them to make the correct word.
The following word families are included in this reading activity:
- at words – hat, cat, rat, bat, sat
- in words – pin, bin, tin, fin, win
- et words – vet, net, jet, wet, pet
- op words – hop, top, cop, mop, pop
- ug words – bug, rug, hug, jug, mug
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
- Free pumpkin activity printables that uses Pumpkin Candy to Count and Trace
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Pumpkin Letter Tracing – use with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Sight Word Game
- These super cute Pumpkin Alphabet puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Lots of FUN October Activities for Kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun pumpkin addition task cards are super cute and make practicing fun for kids
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzles
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Letter Tracing printable
- Super cute pumpkin pie counting activity – pile on the “whip cream”
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes playdough mats
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- This find the letter free pumpkin activity printables
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Games for Preshoolers
- Work on One to One Correspondence Kindergarten with this pumpkin pie themed math activity
- Work on Number Bonds to 10 with these pumpkin themed math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Kids will love this Pumpkin Phonics activity where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this free pumpkin activity printables
Download FREE Pumpkin Word Family Sliders
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Thanks for sharing.
It will be really useful.
I would like to thank you for making your resources available for free. I love your stuff and so does my students. It is because of educators like you that makes my my job so much easier and enjoyable to do. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.