Kids love playing with water, which makes learning from water balloon experiment so engaging and exciting. This water balloon science experiment is a great way to help children explore density for kids with outrageously FUN water experiments! Try this science experiments with balloons and water as an EPIC summer activity for kids with kids of all ages from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too!
Water balloon experiment
My kids have been obsessed with experiments exploring the properties of water lately. In a recent science fair my son did a presentation on “does it float” and played with a variety of different concepts. Since we have already done quite a lot of flotation experiments and water projects for kids, I knew I was going to have to come up with something unique and different to capture their imagination. This water balloon experiment is such a fun summer science project that will not only delight young learners, but teach too! This wter balloon science experiment is fun for preschoolers, kindergartners, and elementary age students in grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6. My kids absolutely loved this balloon science experiment and keep asking to do it again and again.
Water Balloon Science Experiment
The idea of this density experiments for kids is to explore what liquids float, and which ones sink, by filling water balloons with different liquids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this project. Add this to your summer science program, summer learning, science camp, and your summer bucket list. No matter how you use this – it is a memorable, engaging way to help kids explore the density of liquids!
Science experiments with balloons and water
What do I need for this water experiment?
- A large container filled with water. Look for something with a depth of at least double the size of your water balloons when they are filled. Deeper is even better!
- Water balloons
- 60mL Syringe
- Different liquid solutions (some ideas: water, vegetable oil, corn syrup, salt water, sugar water, juice, etc.)
- Permanent marker
Science Experiments with Water
I highly recommend you do this activity outside. Water balloons are very easy to pop! I also recommend you fill multiple balloons with each type of liquid. That way if one pops you have some back ups.
Density experiments for kids
Water balloons are meant to be filled under pressure. Using the syringe you can easily fill the balloons. We found a 60mL syringe made perfect, egg sized water balloons. Simply wash well after each type of liquid so you don’t cross contaminate.
Here are some ideas for what to put in your balloons:
- lamp oil
- rubbing alcohol
- vegetable oil – One note of caution: We found vegetable oil tended to weaken our water balloons making them more prone to popping. We did not experience this with any other liquid type, only vegetable oil.
- dish soap
- maple syrup
- corn syrup
- salted water
Filling the balloons with a syringe is a fantastic fine motor strengthening activity, but prepare them outside or in an easy to clean up space, as it can get messy.
As you fill each balloon make sure you label it so they don’t get mixed up.
Once your balloons are filled, head over to your container. This is the perfect time to ask for some predictions. Will it sink or will it float? Then place your balloons in the water and watch what happens.
Balloon science experiment
The science behind this water balloon experiment
Different types of liquids have different densities. In this experiment we are able to see which liquids have a greater density than water causing them to sink, and which ones are less dense than water, which allows them to float.
Solid liquid Gas examples for kids
Explore states of matter further with these fun projects:
- Cookie Jar Solid Liquid Gas Worksheet – States of Matter Activity
- Pop Rock States of Matter Experiment (liquid to gas)
- Making Homemade Butter – a states of matter experiment (liquid to solid)
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag State of Matter Experiment (liquid to solid)
- 2 Fun, Hands-on Water Cycle Activities – State of Matter Experiment for Kids (liquid to gas)
- Explore density further with this Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiment
- Solid Liquid Gas for Kids with Hands-on Density Experiment
- Water Balloon Density Experiment for Kids
- Bowl of Ice Cream left out (solid to liquid)
Balloon Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun ways to play with balloons this summer?
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Learning the Notes on a Staff with a FUN Music Activity for Kids
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Balloon Matching Shapes Worksheets – Kindergarten Math Activity
- Water Balloon Experiment for FUN summer science
- Educational Balloon Games
- FUN Lego Ballon Car that is simple to make
- Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
- Pop Rocks Balloon Experiment
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Simple Radiation Experiments at Home your kids use in everyday life!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- Human Body Project
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track Summer Activities for Preschoolers
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Easy Rubber Band Powered Car
- Paint Stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Lego Balloon Car Project
- Candy Corn Catapults STEM Project for Kids
- EPIC Exploding Snowman Science Experiment for Winter
- Melting Christmas Science Experiments
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!