Kids love playing with water, which makes learning from water balloon experiment so engaging and exciting. This water balloon science experiment is a great way to help children explore density for kids with outrageously FUN water experiments! Try this science experiments with balloons and water as an EPIC summer activity for kids with kids of all ages from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too!
Water balloon experiment
My kids have been obsessed with experiments exploring the properties of water lately. In a recent science fair my son did a presentation on “does it float” and played with a variety of different concepts. Since we have already done quite a lot of flotation experiments and water projects for kids, I knew I was going to have to come up with something unique and different to capture their imagination. This water balloon experiment is such a fun summer science project that will not only delight young learners, but teach too! This wter balloon science experiment is fun for preschoolers, kindergartners, and elementary age students in grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6. My kids absolutely loved this balloon science experiment and keep asking to do it again and again.
Water Balloon Science Experiment
The idea of this density experiments for kids is to explore what liquids float, and which ones sink, by filling water balloons with different liquids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this project. Add this to your summer science program, summer learning, science camp, and your summer bucket list. No matter how you use this – it is a memorable, engaging way to help kids explore the density of liquids!
Science experiments with balloons and water
What do I need for this water experiment?
- A large container filled with water. Look for something with a depth of at least double the size of your water balloons when they are filled. Deeper is even better!
- Water balloons
- 60mL Syringe
- Different liquid solutions (some ideas: water, vegetable oil, corn syrup, salt water, sugar water, juice, etc.)
- Permanent marker
Science Experiments with Water
I highly recommend you do this activity outside. Water balloons are very easy to pop! I also recommend you fill multiple balloons with each type of liquid. That way if one pops you have some back ups.
Density experiments for kids
Water balloons are meant to be filled under pressure. Using the syringe you can easily fill the balloons. We found a 60mL syringe made perfect, egg sized water balloons. Simply wash well after each type of liquid so you don’t cross contaminate.
Here are some ideas for what to put in your balloons:
- lamp oil
- rubbing alcohol
- vegetable oil – One note of caution: We found vegetable oil tended to weaken our water balloons making them more prone to popping. We did not experience this with any other liquid type, only vegetable oil.
- dish soap
- maple syrup
- corn syrup
- salted water
Filling the balloons with a syringe is a fantastic fine motor strengthening activity, but prepare them outside or in an easy to clean up space, as it can get messy.
As you fill each balloon make sure you label it so they don’t get mixed up.
Once your balloons are filled, head over to your container. This is the perfect time to ask for some predictions. Will it sink or will it float? Then place your balloons in the water and watch what happens.
Balloon science experiment
The science behind this water balloon experiment
Different types of liquids have different densities. In this experiment we are able to see which liquids have a greater density than water causing them to sink, and which ones are less dense than water, which allows them to float.
Solid liquid Gas examples for kids
- Cookie Jar Solid Liquid Gas Worksheet – States of Matter Activity
- Pop Rock States of Matter Experiment (liquid to gas)
- Making Homemade Butter – a states of matter experiment (liquid to solid)
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag State of Matter Experiment (liquid to solid)
- 2 Fun, Hands-on Water Cycle Activities – State of Matter Experiment for Kids (liquid to gas)
- Explore density further with this Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiment or beach density tower
- Solid Liquid Gas for Kids with Hands-on Density Experiment
- Water Balloon Density Experiment for Kids
- Bowl of Ice Cream left out (solid to liquid)
- Free states of matter worksheet pages
- Printable pictures of solids, liquids and gases clip cards
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Learning the Notes on a Staff with a FUN Music Activity for Kids
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Balloon Matching Shapes Worksheets – Kindergarten Math Activity
- Water Balloon Experiment for FUN summer science
- Educational Balloon Games
- FUN Lego Ballon Car that is simple to make
- Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
- Pop Rocks Balloon Experiment
- Rocket balloon experiment for preschoolers
- sugar and yeast balloon experiment
- Plus lots more balloon activities for kids
Fun things to do in the summer
- Outrageous Leak Proof Bag Science Experiments, Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- Summer Science Experiments and 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments , How to Make a Newton’s Cradle Science Expeirment, Edible Peanut Butter Playdough, fun-to-make DIY Foosball Table, White Baking Soda Clay
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up, Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime, Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games, simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids, vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting, Van Gogh Starry Night Aluminum Foil Art Project, or watermelon slime
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids, 100 animal crafts, I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick and easy, our favorite Ice Cream Edible Playdough,
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments, blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Puffy watermelon slime, make your own pvc marshmallow gun, grow a grass house
- Bubble Painting by blowing bubbles, shaving cream butterfly crafts, 25 fun water balloon games, pretty pasta mosaic art, color changeing capillary action experiment with flowers, fun balloon rocket experiment for preschool, bee pollination experiment with jello, how to make a weather vane, Pipe cleaner constellation activities
- How to make a fairy jar,, playdough ice cream math activities for preschoolers, ten frame marshmallow template, alphabet watermelon printable activity, easy Rubber Band Powered Car, paint stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Lots of FUN 4th of july activities, delphinium flower craft, name craft camping crafts for preschoolers, lemonade summer playdough recipe, colorful capillary action experiment, and life size human body project
- Or hang out inside with this fun indoor scavenger hunt printable activity
Summer Printable Activities
- Pool trace numbers 1-20, Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets, Mazes Sight Words Worksheets pdf, Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten, Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers, free summer lego challenge cards pdf, free numer coloring pages,
- Counting watermelon activity sheets, or skip counting puzzles, surfboard opposites games printable
- Simple Beach Coloring Pages, free printable summer activity sheets, Seashell Alphabet Matching, pool Summer Worksheets for Preschool, smore free camping math worksheets, Smore complete sentence games, squish painting sun craft, potato stamped bumble bee craft, sandcastle number tracing practice, free summer bookmarks printable
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game, playdough watermelon seed counting activity, Summertime Dot Art Printables, free printable Beach Worksheets, cute flip flop Letter Matching, free bubble math worksheets, hands-on strawberry rhyming Activity, alphabt printable picture puzzles, free ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Summer Tracing Worksheets for preschoolers, garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities, pail and shovel Matching Letter Game, free summer playdough mats, summer addition puzzles, free summer scavenger hunt, build a sundae place value game, free i spy beach printable, mosquito worksheets, summer color by number
- Firefly preschool counting worksheets, free camping worksheets preschool, I Spy Pirate Game, Crab summer math worksheets, free ice cream math worksheets, free printable summer tracing worksheets, or summer word searches,
A great way to keep the children occupied, fun and educational too. A good way to socialize.