Hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures that are covered in thousands of spikes. These animals build nests to hibernate in during the cooler months. A fun, simple way for kids to learn about the life cycle of a hedgehog is with these free hedgehog Life Cycle Worksheets. Use these life cycle worksheets with students in first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th gra,e and 6th grade too. Simply print the packet for lots of no-prep animal activities to learn about hedgehog life stages.
Hedgehog Life Cycle
Life Cycle Worksheets
Hedgehog Life Stages
Do your kids love cute little hedgehogs? Here’s a fun and educational way to teach them about the amazing life cycle of hedgehogs!
- Birth: Hedgehogs are born blind and hairless, usually in litters of four to five hoglets. They rely on their mother’s warmth and milk for survival.
- Growing Up: The hoglets develop quickly, with their prickly spines starting to appear at just a few days old. As they grow, they become more active and start exploring their surroundings.
- Independence: Around four to seven weeks old, the young hedgehogs become independent and venture out on their own. They start hunting insects, snails, and small creatures for food.
- Season Changes: Hedgehogs prepare for hibernation as the days get shorter and colder. They start fattening up by eating lots of snacks to build a protective fat layer.
- Hibernation: Hedgehogs find a cozy place, like a pile of leaves or a burrow, and go into deep sleep during winter. Their body temperature drops, and they live off the stored fat.
- Mating Season: In spring, hedgehogs awake from hibernation and venture out to find a mate. This is the start of the life cycle once again!
- Vocabulary Cards
- Life Cycle Poster
- Write the life cycle
- Cut and paste the life cycle
- Draw the life cycle
- Color the life cycle
- Cut, paste and color the life cycle
Hedgehogs for Kids
Fun Facts about Hedgehogs!
- Hedgehogs are small, spiky mammals that can fit in the palm of your hand! They are known for their adorable appearance and unique defense mechanism of curling up into a tight ball.
- These cute critters have excellent night vision, allowing them to be active during the evening and night hours. You might spot them roaming around your garden!
- Hedgehogs are insectivores, which means their diet primarily consists of insects like beetles, worms, and snails. Yum!
- Did you know that hedgehogs are excellent swimmers? They can paddle across small bodies of water, making them quite the adventurers!
- Unlike many wild animals, hedgehogs can adapt to various environments, including gardens and parks. They love hiding in bushes and undergrowth, so providing a safe space for them is always a good idea.
- One of the most fascinating facts is that hedgehogs enjoy a keen sense of hearing and smell. They rely on these senses to locate food and detect possible predators.
Hedgehog life cycle pictures
- Color and create a life cycle mini book
- Trace and create a life cycle mini book
- Life Cycle mini book – write your thoughts
- Parts of a hedgehog – spines, nose, eye, claw, leg, ear, snout
- What I know, what I want to learn
- Can, have, are
- Vocabulary page – omnivore, mamal, lactose intolerant, warm blooded, invertebrate, nocturnal, quills, predator, array, hibernate, litter, solitary
- Life Cycle Reader
Life cycle of a Hedgehog
- Habitat Reading comprehension
- Spine reading comprehension
- Hedgehog reading comprehension
- Life cycle reading comprehension
- Book Report
- Animal Report
- My Notes
- Some answers included
Life Cycles for Kids
- A – Life Cycle of an Ant worksheets, Apple Life Cycle Printable, or this Apple life cycle printable spinner
- B –Barn Owl Life Cycle Worksheets, Bat Life Cycle Printable, these Bat Worksheets, Bald Eage Life Cycle Worksheets, Bee Life Cycle or these Life Cycle of a Bee Worksheet, Black Bear Life Cycle Worksheets, Life cycle of a bear printables, Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet FREE Download, Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet observation Book and step-by-step hatching experient pictures, or these Butterfly Worksheets
- C- Cat Worksheets theme or more in-depth Cat life Cycle pages, Crab Life Cycle, Chicken Life Cycle Worksheets, free Life Cycle of a Chicken Worksheet Observation Book, Themed cow worksheets and Life Cycle of a Cow Worksheets , Crocodile Life Cycle Worksheets
- D – dog life cycle worksheets or dog’s life cycle pack, deer life cycle worksheets for elementary or themed deer worksheets pre-k/k
- E – Life Cycle of an Elephant Worksheets
- F –Farm Animal Life Cycles- (worm, chicken, rabbit, bat) Fish Life Cycle, Flower and Plant Life Cycle for Kids Life-the-Flap, Frog Worksheets or this Frog Life Cycle for Kids Printable Spinner and Activities, Life Cycle of a Frog Worksheets, experiment and observations
- G – Giraffe Life Cycle Worksheets, Groundhog life cycle worksheets
- H – Hippo Life cycle worksheets, Horse Life Cycle printables, hedgehog life cycle, and life cycle of hummingbirds worksheets
- I –Insect life cycle worksheet pages for kids about butterfly, ladybug, bee, and mosquito.
- J –Jellyfish Life Cycle
- K – Koala life cycle worksheets or Life cycle of a koala pack
- L – Life Cycle of a Ladybug Printables, learn about the Life Cycle of a Ladybird, Lobster Life Cycle
- M – Mammal Animals for Kids Life Cycle Printable Books, Life Cycle of a Mosquito Worksheet Set, Monkey Life Cycle worksheets
- P – Panda Worksheets, themed learning for pre-k and kindergarten Panda Worksheets , Life Cycle of a Penguin Worksheets. free life cycle of a pig worksheets, Plant Life Cycles Printable Reader, Plant life cycle worksheet or this Plant Life Cycle Printable Lift-the-Flap, Plant Life Cycle for Kids, Polar Animals for kids life cycle printables, Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet, or these Life cycle of a Pumpkin pdf
- R – Life Cycle of a Rabbit Worksheet , themed rabbit worksheets for pre-k/k, Reindeer Life Cycle Worksheets, Rock Life Cycle
- S – Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet, Life Cycle of a Sea Turtle Printable Book, Life Cycle of a Seal, Shark Life Cycle, sheep life cycle worksheets, fascinating Snake life cycle worksheets, Spider Life Cycle Worksheet pages for kids, Star Fish Life Cycle, Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheet
- T – Turkey Life Cycle Worksheet Pack
- W – Walrus Life Cycle, Water cycle Worksheet printables for kids, Water Animals for Kids Life Cycles , Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner, Life Cycle of a Worm worksheets and younger Worm Life Cycle Worksheet, Worm Observation Book
Popular Science Activities
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children list below, plus don’t miss all our science for kids, types of free science lessons, or seasonal science experiments.
- Tons of Kindergarten science experiments by month
- Quick and EASY Lemon Volcano or 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water) or Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries or 24 Epic Solar system science projects
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density and Color-Changing Flowers
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments, Simple Galaxy science project, and Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane, Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project and Amazing POP rocks science experiment
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers, fun How to Make a Lava Lamp, 30 Simple machines science projects
- Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment, Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments or teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit, Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity , Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials, EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment, and Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Color Changing Slime or l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes , neat burning candle experiment worksheet answers
- Human Heart for Kids, hands-on Human Body Project, LOTS of Life Cycles for Kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment, amazing Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make orthis cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Life Size Skeletal system science project, free parts of the brain worksheet and project, fun science experiments
- Hands-on Newton’s cradle project, DIY draw bot for kids to make, playdough human body game
- EASY Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle that will WOW and LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.