Are you looking for a fun, educational plant activity to do with your kids? They will love learning about the plant life cyle with this free plant printable that bcomes a fun DIY lift-the-flap book. Use this to learn about the plant growth cycle to teach young children about the plant life stages: seed, cotyledon, seedling, flower, and seed head. Use this life cycle of a plant for kindergarten, preschool, pre-k, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders too. Our plant life cycle printable is designed for use in kindergarten and 1st grade.
Plant life cycle
Teaching children about the life cycle of a plant is a great way to introduce them to the wonders of the natural world. The specifics may get more intricate, but the basics are not difficult to understand. Even young children can learn about the different stages of a plant’s life, from seed to sprout to full-grown plant. Watching the process unfold from beginning to end is an excellent way to help children start to understand the changes that happen during all life cycles.
Spring is a great time for teaching children about the life cycle of a plant and instead of a boring life cycle of a plant worksheet, your kids will love our free plant life cycle printable is the perfect addition to your life cycle of a plant lesson plan. They will see plants growing and changing every time they step outside. In the garden, they will be planting seeds and watching them grow. It is the perfect time to introduce them to germination, photosynthesis, and pollination concepts. And what better way to learn than watching a plant grow before their eyes?
Our free Flowering Plant Life Cycle Lift the flap book will be the perfect addition to a plant unit.
Life Cycle of a Plant
Life cycle of a plant for kids
Kids love lift-the-flap-books, so they will be eager to participate in this activity. It is a fun and engaging way to help kids learn about a plant’s life cycle.
Our lift the flap book is suitable for teaching basic plant biology as well as working on fine motor skills. Students must cut, paste, and color (if you use the black and white copy).
The free printable comes in 2 formats. A black and white and a colored version.
Plant life cycle for kids
Use our Life Cycle Of A Plant Lift the Flap Book to build your kids’ understanding of how plants grow and reproduce. Designed for kindergarten through first-grade kids, this printable is an easy prep activity your kids will love! As they complete this activity, children will
- Discover more about the life cycle of the plant
- Practice their cutting and pasting skills
- Learn some new scientific terms
The great thing about sunflowers is that they are easy to grow, and kids get a kick from seeing how tall they grow. I would recommend pairing this lift the flap book with some planting activities. It would be fabulous to plant and grow some sunflowers, so the kids could see a plant’s life cycle in action!
You could keep a family journal of the changes they observe throughout the summer as the sunflowers grow. They could compare these to the stages shown in their book.
Life Cycle of a Plant for Kindergarten
I love easy prep activities, and getting one ready is super easy.
- Lift the Flap book (printable below)
- White copy paper or light cardstock
- Crayons (if using the black and white version)
You just have to decide between black and white or color and then print. Could it be any easier?
Plant growth cycle
- If you use the black and white version, have children color the illustration.
- Carefully fold the page in half along the solid black line. You may have to cut off a narrow margin.
- Open and paste the labels over the boxes.
- Cut along the dotted lines to make the flaps.
The Plant Life Cycle For Kids
Here, we explain the main stages in the plant life cycle using language that young learners can understand. We’ve kept it very simple and don’t need to go into great detail at this stage. Read this post if you want to learn more about plant life cycles.
Remember, we can introduce words such as germination, cotyledon, and photosynthesis at an elementary level. For now, it is sufficient for the children to hear the words and get a sense of what they mean. We do not need to go into detail. There is plenty of time for that.
All plants start off as seeds. Inside the seed is a baby plant waiting to grow. Seeds need soil, water, air, sun, and warmth to “germinate.” This is when roots start growing through the shell of the seed.
The first thing to grow up through the soil are the cotyledons. They look like leaves and contain food to help the plant grow. Some plants have one cotyledon, and others have two.
At this stage, the seedling (or baby plant) begins to grow. It pushes roots into the soil to absorb water and other helpful things. It raises shoots and stems up to the light. The plant also grows leaves and soaks up sunlight, which it uses to produce its food. This process is called photosynthesis.
Over time, the young plant grows into an adult sunflower with many leaves and large yellow flowers. Insects, such as bees, visit the flowers because they like the bright colors and the sweet nectar in flowers. The bees drink the nectar, and their fuzzy bodies pick up pollen. They carry this pollen to the next Sunflower they visit. This all help make a new batch of seeds.
In the Sunflower, the seeds develop on the flower. One Sunflower will grow lots of new seeds. Now you have a new batch of seeds to use. Don’t forget to save some to plant next year.
Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Potato Maze – Summer STEM Activity for Kids
- Water Pollution for Kids Science Expeirment
- Silly Grass Head Plant Crafts for Kids
- Simple Geranium Photosynthesis Experiment for Kids
- How to Regrow Celery in Water
- Food coloring flower experiment worksheet Science Experiment for kids
- Color Changing Flower Experiment learning about capillar action
- HUGE plants for kids lesson! Get our plant lesson here.
Life cycle of a plant lesson plan
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Grow Crystals Flower Experiment
- Easy BEE Pollination Experimnt for kids using Jello
- Simple Acid Rain Pollution Experiment for Kids
- Seeds and Plants Unit filled with hands-on Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Beautiful Chromatography for Kids Flower Project
Life cycle of a plant worksheet
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheet Pack
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Cute, printable Name flower craft
- Flower Upper and Lowercase Letter Matching
- Seeds and Plants Activities for Kindergarten
- Easy Celery Experiment
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Silly Egg Head Spring Activities for Kids
- Steps to Planting a Seed Worksheet
- Grass Craft for Kids
Life Cycle PrintablesLooking for more free printables to help you learn about life cycles? You will love these resources:
- 🐜 Ant life cycle for kids printable activity
- 🍎 Apple life cycle printable plus worksheets for working on early literacy and math too
- Spin and learn with this apple life cycle printable
- 🦇 Life cycle of a bat worksheets or these bat life cycle worksheets
- 🐝 life cyle of a bee worksheets
- 🦋 Hatching Butterflies with butterfly life cycle worksheet
- Learn math and literacy along with these butterfly life cycle worksheet free
- Butterfly worksheets to learn science plus math and literacy skills or try these cute life cycle butterfly crafts
- 🐔 Life cycle of a chicken worksheet, printable, and activity
- 🌼 Lift-the-Flap Flower Life Cycle printable activity
- Learn about the Life Cycle of Frogs for kids and grab the life-cycle wheel
- 🐸 Life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Grab this spinner to learn about the frog life cycle for kids
- Insect life cycle printable book to read, color, and learn
- 🐞 Ladybug life cycle worksheet or use these pages with ladybug life cycle for kids
- 🐼 Panda life cycle worksheets or these panda worksheets
- 🐧 Penguin life cycle worksheet are the perfect addition to you winter theme!
- 🌿 Plant life cycle worksheet or this Plant Life Cycle Printable Lift-the-Flap
- Read, color, and learn with these plant life cycle worksheets
- Plant Life Cycles Printable Emergent Reader and Worksheets
- 🎃 Pumpkin life cycle worksheet pdf – lots of fun activities for learning about pumpkin life cycle
- Cut and Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- 🐰 Life cycle of a Rabbit worksheet or themed math, literacy and science in these rabbit worksheets
- 🐟 Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet pack with not only life cycle of salmon, but math and literacy activities too
- Plus don’t miss our experiment breeding guppies to learn about life cycles up close!
- 🐢 Sea Turtle Worksheets to make a book to read, color, and learn about their life cycles
- 🕷 Spider life cycle worksheet is a fun way to learn about the life cycle of spiders with an insect theme or during Octoboer
- 🌻 Life cycle of a sunflower worksheet – fun sunflower life cycle printables
- 🦃 Turkey life cycle – is fun to learn about around Thanksgiving
- 🍉Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner
- Worm Life Cycle worksheets and activity
- 💧 Free Water Cycle Worksheets for Kids
Plant life cycle printable
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Cannot wait to get started on the plants for this spring
Can’t wait to teach my class all about plants.