Whether you are working to avoid summer learning loss, getting a jumpstart on next year, or just want to sneak in some fun summer learning, this cute beach theme summer addition is sure to be a hit! Use this summer math with pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. All you need is the free printable summer math worksheets in black and white or color, a pair of dice, and your child!
This fun addition to 10 beach or seashell addition mat is a fun way to get your kids to learn their addition facts. Mathematics can be an exciting and engaging subject when approached through hands-on activities. In this blog post, we introduce a beach-themed seashell addition mat that combines counting, number recognition, and basic addition skills. This summer learning activity not only helps children practice math but also cultivates their creativity and imagination.
This addition mat includes two buckets where the students would roll the die then place that many pom poms (as seashells) or play dough in each basket for preschoolers and kindergartners to practice one to one correspondence skills. Adding within 10 is an important skills for your students to learn as they build on their addition skills.
Summer Math Activities
Our beach seashell addition mat features colorful buckets labeled with numbers and a playful illustration of a beach scene. The objective of the activity is for children to roll a die, count the dots, and place the corresponding number of seashells into the buckets. They then write an equation to represent the addition problem.
- Download the beach mat below.
- Print in COLOR or BLACK & WHITE(use card stock or laminate the pages)
- Prepare some dice.
- Store the mini erasers or the pom poms in a bag. You can alternatively use seashells.
- Prepare the cards for a group of students (you can print and laminate more for more groups).
Summer math worksheets
I like to get the students familiar with equations as early as possible. With mats like these, it helps them identify the relationship between the numbers and the items.
Eventually, they will be able to make the link that adding up the two digits will give us a sum of the items. With these mats, it makes it super easy to introduce this concept to young kids.
Summer math activities for kindergarten
Benefits of the Activity:
- Number Recognition: The activity helps children recognize and associate numerals with their corresponding quantities.
- Counting Skills: By counting the dots on the die and placing the correct number of seashells, children reinforce their counting abilities.
- Addition Practice: Writing equations based on the seashell placements encourages children to practice basic addition and develop problem-solving skills.
- Fine Motor Skills: Handling seashells and placing them in the buckets improves hand-eye coordination and fine motor dexterity.
- Have the students roll the die and then count the numbers they have. They will place the two die on each box.
- The kids add pom poms or seashells to correspond to each basket on the mat to show their numbers.
- They then write the equation at the bottom of the mat.
- They will work out the sum and then add that number on the equation too. After this, they will place the pom poms in each basket making sure they correspond to the numbers they rolled.
- You can use the mat as a stand alone and write the numbers below and have the kids building their equations with play dough that way too!
- Easy Sand Volcano, disolving Seashell Activities , and super simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages or Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft, fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities and Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers, Beach I spy printable activity
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace and Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea, Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower and Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers and kindergarten
- Summer Addition beach mat and Summer STEM with free printable challenges cards for building Sandcastle Ideas
Summer Activities for Kids
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track for Kids, 30 Homemade Bird Feeders to make, EPIC Water Balloon Painting Activities
- Fun-to-Make DIY Foosball Table, Easy Marshmallow Shooter, 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments for Kids
- Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint, 25+ Water Balloon Games, Outrageously fun Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting, Grass Head Summer Activity for Kids, Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up
- Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe, Snake Bubbles, Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- 75+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids, 100 Amazing Food Science Experiments, cool Puffy Paint Recipes
- Simple and FUN Aluminum Foil Art, epic Mentos and Soda Experiment, Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY! and How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment, EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids, and 2 ingredient slime
- Scented Watermelon Playdough Recipe, ocean slime, Pretty Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Blow GIANT bubbles Homemade Bubble Solution, fun water balloon experiment, Free Zoo Scavenger Hunt
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough, Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft or shaving cream fireworks
- Check out June Crafts and June Activities for Kids, July Crafts and July Activities for kids, August Crafts and August Activities for kids, and don’t miss 107+ things to do in the summer
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Make a Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet or PVC Marshmallow Blasters, whip up some edible marshmallow playdough, and then add smores free camping math worksheets or camping math activities for preschoolers, finally play some no-prep campfire games
- Play with homemade color changing slime, Sand Slime, or watermelon slime, Kool Aid Playdough , vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids, yummy sandcastle ice cream, or make your own aqua magic sand
- Try some summer projects: balloon hovercraft, DIY scribble bot, foosball summer activity for kids, easy pool noodle race track, flow in the dark fairy jar, GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution, FUN Bubble Painting, must try Lego Zipline, Homemade Chalk Recipe, yummy How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag, I Spy DIY Bottles, epic Squirt Gun Painting, must try rocket experiment, or Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Don’t miss summer science projects: Water Balloon Experiment exploring density, sunscreen experiment for kids, colorful lemon volcano experiment, Exploding Watermelon, Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket , amazing fireworks in a jar experiment, balloon rocket experiment for preschool, melting sandcastle summer experiment, and lots more summer science experiments
- Get crafty with EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art , Amazing Bubble Painting, Flower Mason Jar Lid Craft, EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids, Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids, bleeding tissue Paper Fireworks Craft, Tin Foil Art Project, over 100 animal crafts, salt fireworks 4th of July crafts, or First Day of Summer Craft
- Plan a Beach Theme week with Free Beach Worksheets, summer density tower, easy sand volcano, sandcastle letter tracing
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids including our popular Zoo Scavenger Hunt
- Nothing says summer like Ice Cream! Try our edible ice cream Playdough, make Playdough Patterns, super cool ice cream volcano, puffy paint ice cream
- Grab a free printable like our animal I Spy Printables, free life cycle of a frog worksheet, fun summer color by number, summer word search printables, free preschool coloring pages pdf, or math summer worksheets for kindergarten
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids, water Balloon Painting Activity, Roll & Paint Balloon Painting, Balloon Paint Art Project, Music Activity for Kids, Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
- Find more summer bucket list ideas including: printable summer bucket list BINGO, Ice Cream summer bucket list activities, and over 100 summer activities for kids,
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.