How to preparePrint off the color or black and white game board, grab a paper clip, pencil and counters and get ready to play. Print off the reference sheet if your child will find it helpful. Laminate them so they'll last longer!
Starting to learnIf your child is not familiar, or not very confident, with long vowel words that end in e, spend some time with them on this first. Use the reference sheet, asking them to say the names of each picture out loud, specifically thinking about the vowel sound they hear in the middle.
Put your finger over the final e in each word and then say the new word (whether it's real or silly). Stretch out the vowel sound in that new 3-letter word to hear how the vowel sounds, and how the short vowel sound (as in 'cat') is different from the long vowel sound (as in 'cake').
Spelling patternNext, look at the way these words are spelled. They all follow the same pattern to make it easier for young ones to feel confident and to take a guess. Consonant - Vowel - Consonant - e. For eg, rice, bone or mute.
How to play Long Vowel Jump
- Put counters on start
- Spin a pencil and paper clip on the spinner.
- If you land on a ‘u,’ for example, jump to the next picture that has a long ‘u’ sound, then spell it out loud. All these words follow the same spelling pattern.
- Children can use the reference word sheet if they need support.
- They can jump to ‘you did it’ when the vowel they spin is no longer represented in a picture ahead.
- For writing practice, write down the word they land on each time.
First Grade Language Arts Activities
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read THEMSELVES (by book level)
- Alphabet-O - Alphabetizing
- Arctic Animals Sight Words Game
- Book Report
- Building Sentences Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Candyland Sight Word Game
- Creative Writing Prompts (various)
- Long Vowel Match Up
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Families
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun – Verb Sort
- My Spelling Dictionary
- Pumpkin Word Family Sliders
- Punctuation Car File Folder Game
- S’more Sentence Game
- Word Endings Ice Cream Shop
Download Long Vowel GameBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Download Long Vowel Game <<
Founder of Liz's Early Learning Spot, Australian Early Childhood teacher, mom, audiobook queen, lover of beach and bush walks. You can also find me on: Facebook and Pinterest