Did you know there are more than 100 moons in our solar system?
A moon is a satellite of a planet; it orbits a planet.
But none are more interesting than the moon we can see from our own planet Earth.
Have you noticed that the moon seems to change shape in the sky throughout the month? It doesn't actually change shape, but rather the amount of the moon we can see being lit up by reflecting the sun does. Every 28 days.
We started out by exploring what the moon phases are with this free printable Moon Phases Mini Book.
Then we did this fun, hands-on project making Oreo Moon Phases (includes free printable to put our Oreo's on). This had to be my kids favorite activity.
Finally the kids recalled what they'd learned by labeling the moon phases on these free printable solar system worksheets.
Astronauts on the Moon
We learned about what life is like for the astronauts on the International Space Station and even age some space food. Then we saw and listened to some history as it unfolded:
Make a Working Telescope Science Project
Kids will be amazed with this fun science project where kids will get to make their very own telescope. You will need 2 magnifying glasses with one stronger than the other, cardstock/cardboard, and duct tape.
Using duct tape carefully attach the stronger magnifying lens to a rounded piece of cardboard. Then hold the weaker lens in front of the stronger one and move back and forth until you can see clearly. Measure the distance. Now attach the weaker lens at the same distance to finish telescope.
Hands on Solar System Unit
- The Sun
- The Moon & Astronauts (above)
- Inner Planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars)
- Outer Planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars
FREE Solar System Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets (Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)
- Solar System Pack (Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grade)
- Astronaut Coloring Pages (Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten)
- Solar System Coloring Pages (Preschool Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)
- Constellations Mini Book (Preschool Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)
- Planets Mini Book (Preschool Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)
- Moon Phases Mini Book (Preschool Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)