Help your first grader learn about open and closed syllables with this fun, hands-on free printable reading activity. This first grade activity helps students improve reading and spelling skills as they learn to identify open closed syllables. Simply print pdf file with Open and closed syllable sort and have fun reading and learning with your grade 1 student.
Open and closed syllables
While teaching my twins to read, and researching ways to help my struggling reader, I keep learning new terms like Open and closed syllables. Basically, when a vowel has a consonant after it, the vowel is short. If there isn’t a consonant after the vowel, it is long.
Open and closed syllables worksheets
Open closed syllables
But the concept of open and closed syllables seems a little complicated to tell a little child who is struggling with reading. So we have a fun little story that we tell.
- Closed: Look this vowel is closed in (has a consonant after it). It is sad because it can’t go outside so it says the short sound.
- Open: Look, this vowel doesn’t have a consonant after it. The door is open and he can go outside. The vowel is happy, so it says its name!
And this activity gets children reading words with two syllables using this rule.
Open and closed syllable sort
This activity is very simple to prep and such a fun way for teaching open and closed syllables. First, print off the pages and cut out the words. Next, get out scissors and a marker. (We used do-a-dot markers.) And that’s it. You are ready to go.
This activity focuses on one way of dividing syllables up. There are others, but our struggling readers need to focus on one strategy at a time.
First, we begin the open syllable and closed syllable by highlighting or dotting the vowels.
Open and closed syllables activity
The rule is that we divide the syllable up between the two consonants. So, our next step is to cut the word up between the consonants.
At this point, we put our words onto the math using the top two squares. My little girl could see that the each of the words were closed, and sounded them out.
The first syllable was an easy one for her….ten. A nice short vowel, due to the consonant after the e.
The second syllable she had to sound out, and came up with the “word” nis. Once again, she remembered that the vowel was short, since it is followed by an s.
Finally, we brought each syllable down to the bottom box, and said each syllable together.
Reading longer words can be quite a challenge. But when you teach them with syllables (and when to use a short vowel vs a long vowel) it is doable.
Open and closed syllables word list
The words in this activity include: rabbit, cobweb, bandit, goblin, manet, sunset, unless, admit, muffin, hotdog, incident, album, dentist, invent, napkin, velvet, tennis, misfit, tidbit, index, pilgrim, fabric, contest, pencil, absent, kitten, insect, happen, velvet, and sudden.
Working With Syllables
These activities will help your kids practice working with syllables.
- 20 Fun and Clever Syllable Activities
- Syllable Counting Punch Cards
- Winter Syllables Printable Activity
- Open and Closed Syllable Reading Activity
- Fall Counting Syllables Clip Cards
The following free worksheet packs all include syllable counting sheets.
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Fun, free printable punctuation games for kids
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Lots of fun, free money games for kids
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Open and closed syllables worksheets pdf
By using resoruces from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for individual use only (to share this resource please share the link and not the file)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!