Syllable counting cards
To reinforce the teaching of syllables, I came up with this fun Syllable Counting Punch Cards. You can make your own with sticker as described below:. Gather the materials you will need, you probably have these laying around your home or classroom already:
- card stock
- hole punch
To make your own syllable counting cards, divide a piece of card stock into sections with a marker; I was able to do 3 across and 4 down.
With your stash of stickers, choose a sticker for each counting card. I chose stickers of objects that were 1, 2, or 3 syllables. On each card I wrote the word on top, and below I drew in three circles.
Present the syllable counting cards with a hole punch. My daughter’s task was to say the word aloud, count how many syllables were in that word, then punch that number of circles.
Counting syllables activities
Your child can punch the syllable counting cards as they speak the word or say the word and then punch holes in the counting card.
For instance, my daughter and I said the word ‘Panda.’ As I said the word I tried to make the syllables easier for her to hear, so I put extra emphasis on the syllables ‘pan/da’. Since there are two syllables, my daughter then punched two circles with the hole punch.
Counting syllables game
1st grade worksheets
Looking for more fun and free first grade math resources? You will love these FREE printables for 1st grade math:
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Math Mysteries – Addition and Subtractin Math Puzzles
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Game
- Bubble Gum Math Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Spring Addition Math Game
- Solve and Stamp Math Worksheets
- Clever Addition Mini Book
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our 1st grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Download Syllable Counting Punch Cards
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.