Are you preparing to learn about the solar system for kids at home or school? Whether you will be studying space for kids or simply have a child who is fascinated by the solar system – you are going to love these space projects for kids. Children from toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grde, and 3rd graders will love these hands-on learning activities to explore outer space! These kids space projects explore the sun, planets, star constellations, mon phasese, rockets, and so much more!
Space projects for kids
Help kids learn about our amazing solar system with these Space projects for kids. There are so many really neat and engaging space kids project for kids of all ages from preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students too. Whether you want to learn about the moon, moon phasese, constellations for kids, planets in our solar system, rockets, or one of our other outer space projects for kids – this is sure to help kids learn while having fun! The hardest part is deciding which fun space projects for kids to try first!
Moon Crafts & Activities
Let’s start off with some fun moon projects for kids that explore why the moon looks different throughout the year by learning about moon phases:
Moon Phases Demonstration from Science Matters
Moon Phase Activity from What We Do All Day
Why are Their Crafters on the Moon by I Can Teach my Child
Oreo Moon Phases (with free printable) from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
Next let’s explore the amazing stars that light up the night sky! Point out how the stars make patterns in they sky called constellations. We have lots of constellation projects for kids and constellation activities for kids to learn about the most common formations:
Make Constellations from Creekside Learning
Sneak in some shape practice with these shape constellations activity
DIY Constillations Projector from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
Help kids look more into our planet and what it’s made of, how we get off of our planet using rockets and other space crafts, plus so much more with these clever solar system project ideas for kids!
Hands on Project for exploring the Earth’s Layers by Educating Laytons
What’s the Earth Made of (and taking a cupcake core sample) from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
Learn about Satellites (how they keep an orbit, communication, and more) from Creekside Learning
Bottle Rocket from Science Sparks
Junk Model Space Rockets from Nurture Store
Space Shuttle Craft from Loole Doo
Giant Cardboard Rocket Ship from Filth Wizardry
Preschool Playful Space Crafts & Activities
- Sun Painting Craft from Mrs Karens Class
- Moon Artwork from Mrs. Russell’s Classroom
- Made Edible Moon Rocks from Rainy Day Mum
- Outer Space Themed Bath from Growing a Jeweled Rose
- Space Slime from Frog’s Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
- Green Alien Blobs from Make and Take
- Night Sky Playdough from Toodaloo
- Moon Sand Space Themed Sensory Bin from Totally Tots
- Solar System Mazes from Kids Activities Blog
Solar System Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun Activities for Kindergarten – learn about the sun and how the planets orbit around it including a fun planets game for kids!
- Moon Activities for Kids & Astronauts Too – make oreo moon phases, DIY telescope, learn about the astronauts who landed on the moon, and more!
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) – Use our free planet worksheets and fun hands-on activities like Mercury craters, Venus’ melting rocks, layers of the earth, and Erupting Mars Volcano
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) – combination of hands-on solar system projects and solar system printables; gaseous Jupiter, Saturn Rocket, plus cloudy Uranus and Neptune.
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars for Kids – make a FUN constellation projector, cold Pluto ice cream project, and grape constellation project
- Yarn Solar System Project – fun, unique, and easy solar system model that is cheap and so pretty!
- Paint Stick Solar System Project – easy-to-make solar system model for kids that doubles as an activity for learning the names and order of the planets
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on pipe cleaner constellations activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Experiments
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Activities for Kids & Crafts collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of FREE Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Planet worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Space Worksheets Preschool
- Free Constellation Worksheets
- Solar System Coloring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Free Constellations Printable pdf for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Activities for Kids
- Free Constellation Cards
- Moon Phases Kindergarten Worksheets – HUGE pack!
- Planets Solar System for Kids pdf Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Science FUN For Kids
- Science can be yummy! Try these 19 Edible Science Projects for kids of all ages including edible Animal Cells K-6th
- FREE Animal Report Forms are great for learning about animals before or after a fieldtrip to the zoo. K-8th
- Amaze kids as you show them How to Grow Crystals K-6th
- Cute, free printable to help students learn about the Flower Life Cycle Lift the Flap Preschool-3rd Grade
- Frog Life Cycle Printables for kids K-6th
- Kids will enjoy learning How to Make a Lava Lamp – K-6th
- Leaf Scavenger Hunt (educational) K-6th
- Simple Machines Mini Book for teacking kids plus lots of fun, hands on ideas!
- Get ready for science that leaves a big impression with this Exploding Watermelon Science for learning about kinetic and potential energy
- This is an egg-cellent science experiment for kids to learn about air pressure
- So many creative Simple Machine Projects to help kids learn with hands on activities!