Do you have a middle schooler who’s working on order of operations? Or perhaps a high schooler who could use some fun review? Well, then these adorable Order of Operations Pumpkin Puzzles are for you! These order of operations puzzles give Pre-algebra and Algebra students a chance to practice important skills, as well as work on mental math.
What is order of operations?
The order of operations is a set of guidelines created to ensure that all math calculations are solved the same way.
For example, say you are given the expression: 3 x 5 + 9 x 2.
If I solve it strictly from left to right (multiply 3 and 5, then add 9, then multiply by 2), I would get a solution of 48. But if you solve by multiplying 3 x 5 and 9 x 2 first, and then add, you would get a solution of 33. So which answer is correct?
Well, thanks to a standard known as order of operations, the correct solution is 33. This ensures that everyone follows the same order when solving problems, and solutions remain consistent.
Order of Operations Puzzle
Order of Operations Math
Order of Operations Games
So in case you are unfamiliar, the order of operations is as follows:
- Parentheses and brackets (start by solving everything inside parentheses first)
- Exponents (solve all exponents)
- Multiplication and division (solve all multiplication and division from left to right)
- Addition and subtraction (solve all addition and subtraction from left to right)
Grade 6 Math
To use this free Order of Operations Games simply cut each pumpkin math puzzle into two pieces, and the puzzles are ready to go!
To play this 6th grade math game, students simply calculate the value of the expression given on the top of each pumpkin. To do this, they must correctly follow order of operations. Find the bottom pumpkin piece that has the correct solution. Easy!
Printable Math Games
These expressions were designed with fairly simple numbers so that kids can put their mental math skills to work as well. Solving these calculations mentally is a great workout for the brain. Plus, it will help kids practice and increase their fact fluency.
I hope your kids will have fun practicing math skills in a unique way with these fun, Fall puzzles!
Looking for more free printable pumpkin games and activities to help kids learning a variety of educational concepts? You will love these resources:
- Pumpkin Word Family Sliders
- How much does a pumpkin cost? (3 part Algebra lesson)
- Pumpkin Homophone Puzzles
- Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins (printable board game)
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Life Cycle of a Pumpkin Printables
- Pumpkni Pine Number Sense
- How many seeds in a pumpkin? (hands on math fun)
- Pumpkin Multiplication Puzzles
- Pumpkin Crafts & Kids Activities for Fall
Math Games for Kids
Continue to teach kids that math is fun with these free math games for kids:
- Color the Coins Money Worksheets
- Lucky Leprechaun Factors Game
- Hundreds Chart Skip Counting 1-15
- Measument Hunt Math Challenge
- Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Fractions Board Game
- Pirate Place Value Game
- Deck of Cards Multiplication Worksheets
- Place Value Peanut Butter & Jelly
Did you know we have over 1 million pages of free printable worksheets for kids – including math activities for preschoolers, kindergarten math, first grade math, 2nd grade math and alphabet worksheeets to help make learning FUN. Plus find our history lessons and amazing easy science experiments for kids
Prefer to just look at our math games by grade level? You’ll love this post!
Download Order of Operations Pumpkin Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.