Are you looking for a fun AND educational fall activity for kids? These pumpkin science experiments are quick, easy, and engaging for kids of all ages. For this halloween science all you need are a few common liquids, candy, and our dissolving candy experiment worksheet. This candy science is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. Simply print halloween science worksheet and you are ready to play and learn!
Halloween Science Experiments
I came up with this pumpkin science experiment in an attempt to use up our enormous supply of halloween candy while doing some halloween math at the same time! The fall worksheet adds a better introduction to the scientific method for kids while helping to round-out the experiment. This pumpkin science only requires common liquids of cold water, hot water, oil, seltzer, and vinegar plus any type of candy you already have on hand. Try this halloween science activity with preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a great science activity to try in October.
All you need to try this fall science are a few simple materials you probabaly already have on hand:
- clear glasses or containers
- fall candy (candy corn and halloween peeps work well)
- cold water
- hot water
- vegetable oil
- labels (we used painters tape and a sharpie)
- recording sheet (see bottom of post)
Dissolving Candy Experiment
Begin your pumpkin science experiment by dropping a couple candy corn in each jar and filling clear cups with each of the liquids you are using. We used 5 liquids: cold water, hot water, oil, vinegar, and seltzer as our potential solvents.
Ask children to make predictions on what will happen to the candy corn in each of the jars.
Observe what happens over the next 10 minutes and record your findings on the worksheet at the bottom of the post. What happened?
Candy Corn Science
Ask students what liquid dissolved the candy the best? As children some follow-up questions such as:
- do you think more time will change the results
- do you think adding more of the liquid will further impact the candy dissolving
- do you think the type of candy impacted which liquid works the best
- was your hypothesis correct?
Repeat the experiment with a different candy to see if you get the same results. Remind children that true science is repeatable. We opted to use these cute Halloween Peep marshmallows that look like pumpkins and ghosts for a fun pumpkin theme or halloween theme activity!
Halloween Science Activities
Record your findings on a different worksheet. Make some observations about the appearance of the marshmallows. After 10 minutes draw some concolusions – which liquid dissolved the candy the best? Was it the same liquid as the first experiment? What conclusions can you draw from repeating the experiment?
Pumpkin Science Preschool
Don’t forget to recrod your findings on your recording sheet.
Candy Science Experiments
This fall science experiment is such a fun, memorable way to explore what makes things dissolve with students of all ages!
Fall Science Experiments
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Free Printable Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Skittle Apple Science Experiment
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
Leaf Crafts for Kids
Looking for more fun fall craft projects? Check out these fun ideas:
- Autumn Watercolor Salt Painting Leaf Craft
- Crayon Resist Fall Leaf Art
- EASY Fall Leaf Crafts for Preschoolers
- Stunning Suncatcher Fall Leaves Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Lots of Fall Crafts for kids of all ages
- Edible Candy Corn Playdough
Fall Crafts for Kids
- Fall Crafts for Preschoolers
- Printable Hat Fall Craft for Preschool
- Wreath Fall Craft with free printable leaves template
- Fall Leaf Printing Activity for kids with markers
- Cute Cereal Fall Tree Craft for Kids
- Styrofoam Peanut Fall Tree Craft
- 100+ Fall Crafts for Kids
- Kadinsky Inspired Fall Leaf Art Project
- Scarecrow Printable CVC Word Mats Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- FREE Fall Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Printable Scarecrow Pronoun Game
- Scarecrow Worksheets Pack with 50+ pages of math and literacy skills
- Fall Sequencing Cards and Sequencing Worksheets
- Learning Colors Printable Fall Games
- Letter Matching Leaf Printable Activity
- Fall Worksheets Pack with 50+ pages of math and literacy skills
- Fall Theme or Fall Theme Preschool
- Cute Fall Playdough Mats
- Fall Do a Dot Printables
- Color Word Fall Worksheets
- Fall Books for Preschoolers,these fall picture books, or these fall books for kids
- Simple Fall Coloring Pages
Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- Alphabet Fall Printable
- Scarecrow Short O Words Printable
- Fall Sight Words Game
- Alphabet Candy Corn Math Puzzles – Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- Nonsense Words Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- Color by Letter Fall Worksheets
- Squirrel Fall Worksheets for kids
- Cute Fall Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Nature Fall Scavenger Hunt or this Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt
- Beginning Blends Fall Activity
- Syllable Clip Cards Fall Activity for Kindergarten
- Free Fall Writing Prompts
- Leaf Alphabet Letters Matching Activity
- Color Words Fall Emergent Reader
- Fall Science ideas for kids
- EASY Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Fall I Spy Printable
- September Activities for Kids
- Counting Fall Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Fall Playdough Mats – Counting Leaves
- Skip Counting Fall Math Worksheets
- My Fall Counting Book – Fall Activity for Kindergarten
- Fall Nubmer Words Donut Worksheets
- Fall Counting Book for Pre-K
- Acorn Counting Game
- Multiplication Candy Corn Math or Addition/Subtraction Candy Corn Math Puzzles or Candy Corn Fall Math Number Puzzles
- Count and Clip Fall Math Activities for Preschoolers (or this pumpkin set)
- Fall Math Counting Crows Activity
- Addition Fall Worksheets with Stickers (sticker alphabet fall worksheets or number recognition fall worksheets or color recognition fall worksheets)
- Fall Activities sorting pretty leaves by shape
- Printable Fall Number Game for Preschoolers
- Fall Color by Number
- Number Tracing Fall Worksheets
Halloween Science Worksheet
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Leave a Reply