Get ready to dig into some slime with this amazing Pumpkin Goop recipe that uses real pumpkins! We love sensory activities to help young kids explore, but don’t like washing ingredients either. Plus I can’t be the only one that gets frustrated wasting an entire pumpkin just to carve it to to sit on the porch as a Halloween decoration! This pumpkin gloop will help you not waste the pumpkin guts while having FUN with a hands on fall activity for toddler, preschool pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students.
I love seasonal crafts and play activities with my kids. I think these activities, such as this pumpkin goop i,s especially meaningful to toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students who have a need lots of hands on activities, but my lower elementary school age kids loved this too!
By doing seasonal crafts you are starting to give them an understanding of seasons and calendar time. Plus, let’s face it, it’s just plain fun! Here is our Pumpkin Sensory Play with Goop!
If you’ve been a reader of this blog for any amount of time you probably already know, I’m thrifty.
I like to reuse things for several purposes. So I just hated wasting the inner “guts” of the pumpkins we carved.
We use some of the seeds to make our Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds (yum!), but this year I took all the goop and some of the seeds to make pumpkin goop to play with my toddler.
I put all the the stringy stuff, pumpkin, and seeds into a big stock pot. Then I sprinkled it with about 1/4 cup cornstarch (to thicken it up) and let it cook into mush over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Then I smashed it up with a mashed potato smasher until it was mostly smooth and then I took it off the heat to allow it to cool before the kid played with it.
Goop for Kids
When the Pumpkin Goop was just slightly warm to the touch I scooped it back into a pumpkin for
some warm sensory play!
This fun sensory activity is equally fun and silly to play with!
Pumpkin Goop Recipe
At the beginning, my toddler wasn’t thrilled about getting her hands dirty. (not a problem at dinner time!) So to help entice her to try it – I put a spider in in the Pumpkin Goop and “hide it”. Tinker bell loved finding the spider!
This is such a fun play recipe perfect for October and November!
- You may also want to try our pumpkin cloud dough,
- We have over 100 EPIC Pumpkin Crafts and activities to keep you happily playing all month long!
- Looking for other ideas for October -try these Halloween Crafts?
- October Activities for Kids – to keep kids playing all month long!
- Free pumpkin activity printables that uses Pumpkin Candy to Count and Trace
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Pumpkin Letter Tracing – use with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Sight Word Game
- These super cute Pumpkin Alphabet puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Lots of FUN October Activities for Kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun pumpkin addition task cards are super cute and make practicing fun for kids
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzles
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Letter Tracing printable
- Super cute pumpkin pie counting activity – pile on the “whip cream”
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes playdough mats
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- This find the letter free pumpkin activity printables
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Games for Preshoolers
- Work on One to One Correspondence Kindergarten with this pumpkin pie themed math activity
- Work on Number Bonds to 10 with these pumpkin themed math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Kids will love this Pumpkin Phonics activity where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this free pumpkin activity printables
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
Christmas is just around the corner! Come take a peak at some of our most popular Christmas posts to date!
- FREE Polar Express Worksheets (Toddler – 2nd Grade)
- FREE Christmas Around the World ebook & projects
- 31 FUN Christmas Ideas for Families
- Family Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Top 6 Christmas Books for Kids
- DIY Gumdrop Wreath
- Christmas Presents Themed Bath for Kids
- Grow a Candy Cane Activity with free printable
- Snowman Keepsake Handprint Ball OrnamentChristmas Crafts for Kids book