If you are looking for a really cute pumpkin arts and crafts to try in October, you will love these pretty yarn pumpkins. This pumpkin craft for kids uses a simple technique with a balloon, orange yarn, and glue to make a lovely decoration this fall. Try this craft pumpkin ideas with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade or 4th graders.
Some pumpkin crafts are all about process and others are all about a well-polished finished product. This pumpkin craft project is both! The yarn pumpkin craft is really fun-to-make and produces a stunning result too which you will be proud to display in your home. THis pumpkin crafts for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a fun october craft for kids to make as they are celebrating Autumn.
Pumpkin Craft for Kids
All you need to try this super cute and fun-to-make yarn pumpkin craft are a few simple materials you may already have at home:
- 12″ Balloon (s)
- orange yarn E
- elmer’s glue
- saran wrap
- green pipe cleaners
Yarn Pumpkin Craft
Start by blowing up the 12″ balloon about half full and tie the end. You don’t want to blow it up all the way because the shape would be too long and not look like a round pumpkin.
Wrap the balloon in saran wrap. This step will save you from peeling the yarn off the balloon later.
Tie a strand of yawn around the knotted end of the balloon. Hang the balloon off the strand of yarn so you can easily reach it. I used our kitchen table lamp and had it hang over the kitchen table to contain the possible mess. You could also do this outside on a tree branch.
Pour glue into a bowl. If you are using the standard 4 oz bottle, I would suggest pouring about half of the glue out first so you don’t waste it if you don’t use it all.
Pumpkin Crafts for Preschoolers
Take a strand of yarn, about an arms length and dunk it in the glue. Swirl the yarn in the bowl until you soak it entirely with glue. As you lift the yarn out of the bowl run it through two fingers to remove any excess glue. Again, you don’t want it all off, but you don’t want the project to drip on your table either. Wrap the glue-soaked yarn around the balloon. Repeat the process with yarn running over other pieces in every which direciton until you are satisfied with the amount of yarn on the balloon.
Leave the yarn-covered balloon for 24 hours to let the glue dry.
Craft Pumpkin Ideas
Don’t try and deflate the balloon before you are 100% sure the glue dried, or else the whole thing will collapse. You can use the time to repeat with a slightly different shade of orange yarn.
Carefully use scissors to pop the balloon. Now slowly pull the saran wrapthrough a small opening to remove and disgard.
Pumpkin Arts and Crafts
Make the vine by wrapping a green pipe cleaner around a pencil. You will also want to double up a brown chenille stick for the stem
Insert one end of the pipe cleaners into the pumpkin and rotate them slightly to secure them in place.
Harvest Crafts for Kids
I just love how cute these pumpkins turn out. And although it does take some time because of the drying, the amount of effort is minimal. I love having two differetn shades of orange to display on a shelf for decorating my house for fall ya’ll.
Fall Crafts for Kids
Next time I will make a bigger one and a smaller one for a contrast of not only colors, but size too. And of course you could choose to make unique colors, or other variations to personalize this pumpkin project further.
- Hole Punching Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
- Beautiful Cardboard Tube Stamped Fall Tree Craft
- Cute Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Yarn Pumpkins Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- Scented Pumpkin Puffy Paint Craft for Fall
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Craft for kids
- Silly Spider Name Craft Activity for Preschoolers with FREE Printable
- 31 October Crafts for Kids
- Turkey Pumpkin Seed Craft
- Gummy Worm Slime
Pumpkin Activity for Kids
- Homemade Halloween Silly Putty Activities
- How to Make Pumpkin Slime
- Taste Safe Pumpkin Clay for Kids
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern with this amazing Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity
- 50 fun Pumpkin Activities
- Edible Peep Pumpkin Playdough
- Pumpkin Goop with real pumpkin guts!
- Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids
- EASY, Edible Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try!
- Amazing Spider SLimeSpookley the Square Pumpkin Shape Activity with homemade Pumpkin Playdough
Plus don’t miss our favorite pumpkin books for preschoolers these fun FREE Fall Do a Dot Printables, and Preschool Pumpkin Theme
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- Simple Skittles Pumpkin Science Experiment
- EASY Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Dissapearing Flying Ghost Halloween Science Experiment
- Flying Film Canister Ghost Rockets
- Frankenstein’s Hand Halloween Science Experiment
- Quickly Growing Pumpkin Science Experiment
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Volcano Halloween Science Experiments
Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
October Science Printables
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Free Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Worm Worksheets – practice math, alphabet, literacy, and more!
- Growing Worms Observation Book
- All About Worms Worksheets
- Pumpkin Counting activity that uses free printable and pumpkin candy corn to count and trace
- Count to 20 Pumpkin Playdough Mats
- Practice skip counting with this hands-on pumpkin math activity
- Super cute, free printable pumpkin addition game
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun, reusable pumpkin math worksheets are super cute and make practicing addition fun for kindergartners
- Work on color words with this free pumpkin worksheets for preschoolers
- Pumpkin Matching Game
- Even older students will have fun getting in on the pumpkin theme with these multiplication pumpkin math puzzles
- These order of operation puzzles are another fun pumpkin math activity for older students.
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes printable playdough mats
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense pumpkin activity for preschoolers
- Work on counting, adding on, and using a number line with this pumpkin counting activity
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Matching Games for Preshoolers
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this pumpkin math activity for pre-k
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Shapes Printable game for kids
- Work on number bonds to 10 with these pumpkin math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Super cute pumpkin counting activity piling the “whip cream” on the pie slice
- Work on 0ne-to-one correspondence with this pumpkin math for Kindergarten
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Printable Letter Tracing strips
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Game
- This find the letter pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Kids will love this phonics Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Pumpkin Letters for tracing alphabet with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Practice reading with these cute, clever and FREE Word Family Sliders Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- These super cute Pumpkin Letters and sounds puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzle pumpkin activities
- You’ll love these no-prep Pumpkin Worksheets where students will color by vowels
- These Pumpkin worksheets and printable activities work on rhyming skills to improve reading and spelling
- Find the Letter Alphabet Pumpkin Worksheets
- Printable October Writing Prompts
Candy Corn Activities
Looking for more candy corn activities for kids? You will love all these creative ideas!
- Free Candy Corn Words
- Candy Corn Edible Playdough
- Addition and Subtraction Candy Corn Math
- Phonics Puzzles with a fun Candy Corn Theme for Fall
- 28 Candy Corn Activities for Kids
- EPIC Candy Corn Popsicle Stick Catapults
- Candy Corn Multiplication and Division Puzzles
- Counting Candy Corn Puzzles
- Candy Corn Turkey Count and Trace
- Free Printable Candy Corn Alphabet Mats
Leave a Reply