Decoding nonsense words activities
This fun, hands-on decoding nonsense words activities is pefect to help kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students practice recognitizing if the word they crated is real or nonsense. This Nonsense Words Activities is lots of fun and perfect for at home, liteacy center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reading curriculum too.
Why is it necessary to learn about nonsense words?
1) If a reader can decode a nonsense word it means he/she can try to decode any word, no matter how difficult(given he/she knows the isolated sounds). It is an indication as to how good a child’s decoding skills are, and a way to develop those decoding skills.
2) When a child reads and comes across a word he does not know, he can decode this word even if it does not make sense to him. Perhaps it will then make sense to him after reading it in context. It is strategy a struggling reader can use.
3) If a child reads and decodes a word, but realize the word is a nonsense word, he can try to say it in a different way to make it a real word. For example: “seat” read as two short vowels will not make sense, but read it again as a long “ee” sound and it is a real word.
4) Nonsense words gives opportunity to learn spelling rules. For example, “giv” will be a nonsense word because we don’t end a word with a “v”. You will need a silent “e” at the back to make it a real word(give).
Nonsense word activities
You will need:
- a tray with 3 compartments (or simply use 3 containers on a tray like the heart cups)
- alphabet letters(we used craft foam ones here)
Add consonants to the first and last containers and vowels to the middle one. You can mark it as shown below:
nonsense words 2nd grade
Let your child choose a letter from the first container, then the middle one, then the last one. Place it in that order on the tray. Try and read the word. Is it a real word or a nonsense word? Place the real words at one side and the nonsense words at the other side. Do this until your letters run out. Count how many real words you have and how many 2nd grade nonsense words. Which side wins?
Nonsense words first grade
Extend the activity by “fixing” the nonsense words so that it is real words. You can also add more containers and make longer words for 4 letter words to adapt it for second graders
A great little nonsense words activities to work on word building, decoding and problem solving too!
Second Grade Worksheets
Looking for more 2nd grade worksheets? You will love these activities:
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Free Printable compound words worksheet and 4 other activities
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
Free Printable Worksheets for 2nd Grade
Plus dont’ miss these grade 2 worksheets:
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Many 2nd grader learn about the USA. These 2nd grade homeschool worksheets will help children learn about the great country of the United States! WE have so many resources and second grade worksheets to choose from!
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)