Decoding nonsense words activities
This fun, hands-on decoding nonsense words activities is pefect to help kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students practice recognitizing if the word they crated is real or nonsense. This Nonsense Words Activities is lots of fun and perfect for at home, liteacy center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reading curriculum too.
Why is it necessary to learn about nonsense words?
1) If a reader can decode a nonsense word it means he/she can try to decode any word, no matter how difficult(given he/she knows the isolated sounds). It is an indication as to how good a child’s decoding skills are, and a way to develop those decoding skills.
2) When a child reads and comes across a word he does not know, he can decode this word even if it does not make sense to him. Perhaps it will then make sense to him after reading it in context. It is strategy a struggling reader can use.
3) If a child reads and decodes a word, but realize the word is a nonsense word, he can try to say it in a different way to make it a real word. For example: “seat” read as two short vowels will not make sense, but read it again as a long “ee” sound and it is a real word.
4) Nonsense words gives opportunity to learn spelling rules. For example, “giv” will be a nonsense word because we don’t end a word with a “v”. You will need a silent “e” at the back to make it a real word(give).
Nonsense word activities
You will need:
- a tray with 3 compartments (or simply use 3 containers on a tray like the heart cups)
- alphabet letters(we used craft foam ones here)
Add consonants to the first and last containers and vowels to the middle one. You can mark it as shown below:
nonsense words 2nd grade
Let your child choose a letter from the first container, then the middle one, then the last one. Place it in that order on the tray. Try and read the word. Is it a real word or a nonsense word? Place the real words at one side and the nonsense words at the other side. Do this until your letters run out. Count how many real words you have and how many 2nd grade nonsense words. Which side wins?
4 letter nonsense words
Extend the activity by “fixing” the nonsense words so that it is real words. You can also add more containers and make longer words for 4 letter words to adapt it for second graders
A great little nonsense words activities to work on word building, decoding and problem solving too!
2nd Grade Printables
Looking for more free printable activities for second graders? You will love these activities:
- Free 2nd Grade Math Worksheets
- Crab Contractions Activity
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Digraph Puzzles
- Printable Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Game
- 2d and 3d Shape Puzzles
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Activity
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Easy Rubber Band Powered Car
- Paint Stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Lego Balloon Car Project
- Candy Corn Catapults STEM Project for Kids
- Easy Ping Pong Ball Bernoulli’s experiment
- EPIC Exploding Snowman Science Experiment for Winter
- Melting Christmas Science Experiments
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Lego Electricity Science Experiments
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
Geography for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- 16 Countries for Kids Printables
- Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Learn about the countries for kids with these free resources
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Super cute, Free printable India for Kids Book to color, read, and learn!
- Kenya for Kids Printable Book to learn about this African country with lots of amazing wild life
- China for Kids Printable Book helps kids learn about this large, populous country famous for the great wall of china, Terra Cotta Warriors, and the Forbidden city
- Join us for a fiesta as we learn about Mexico for Kids including delicious food, Mayan temples and more!