Make learning about and practicing measuring fun with this free printable measurement hunt. This EPIC measurement activities for kids is such a fun, hands on math activity for first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade students. We love math games and math activities to keep kids engaged and make learning fun! Simply print printable measurement activities and you are ready to play and learn!
Are your children working on learning how to take measurement? Kids will have fun practicing measuring items with inches, feet, meters, and centimeters using this fun, free printable Measurement Hunt. This is such a fun Measurement Activities for Kids that makes practicing using a ruler fun for grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this simple measurement activity can be easily adapted for elementary kids or even middle schoolers. Use it as extra practice, summer learning, math center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Measurement activities for 2nd grade
To complete this fun math activity you will need a few simple materials:
- Recording page for each student (print below)
- Question cards printed, laminated and cut out set
- Rulers, yard or meter sticks, measuring tape and pencils
2nd grade measurement activities
The object of this measurement activity is for kids to find objects equal to the given measurement. This activity is great for parents, teachers and homeschoolers and is a great way to show kids how math matters in real life! Use this for summer learning, math field trip outdoors, etc. This activty is wonderful for grade 3 math, grade 4 math, and even grade 5 math!
This simple challenge will help kids practice a variety of measurement skills:
- They will learn to correctly use tools such as rulers and yard sticks
- They will learn to estimate lengths and sizes of objects
- They will practice converting measurements
- They will deepen their understanding of fractions as they compare measurements in various units (i.e. 3 inches is equal 1/4 of a foot)
Plus, this would make an excellent opportunity to get outside and explore nature! If the weather’s not cooperating, however, you can also complete this in your home or classroom.
measuring activities for 2nd grade
Set up is extremely easy. Simply print a recording page for each student. Then, print out the question cards (either one page or both). Depending on how many kids are participating, you may need to print multiple copies. For durability, you may also want to print the cards on card stock and then laminate them. This way you can use this again and again as a fun review. Cut out the cards and you’re ready to begin! There are 2 pages of question cards to use with this activity, depending on the age and ability of your students.
The first page focuses on measurement with inches and feet. If you only want to work on these measurements, only print the first page of questions (or print multiple copies if you use this with a large class). The second page of questions includes inches, feet, centimeters and meters, and also uses various measurement terms such as tall, wide, deep, etc. to encourage an understanding of 3D measurements.
To begin, kids can either draw cards 1 at a time, go find an object and record it, then draw a new card, or you can give each student 5 cards at a time and they can complete their entire chart at once.
printable measurement activities
How to complete the Measurement Conversions for Kids section of their chart is entirely up to you. Very young kids can skip this section. For kids being introduced to fractions, you may want to focus only on inches and feet and converting between the two. For instance, if their question is in inches, they would convert to feet and vice versa. With older kids, you may want to leave it open ended. Simply instruct them to convert to one other measurement (of their choice).
Whatever you decide, be sure to make it clear to students before you let them start. You may also want to write the “conversion” instructions on the board for them to refer back to. Once everyone understands the instructions, kids are free to “hunt” for their measurements! This is a great opportunity to practice estimating measurements, as well as starting some great math talks among students.
Fun measurement activities for 2nd grade
- Surfboard Preschool Measuring Activity for Summer
- Back to School Worksheet Preschool Measurement Activities
- Winter Ruler Measurement Worksheets
- Bug Preschool Measurment Worksheets
- Measurement HUNT – Measurement Activities for 2nd Grade
Second Grade Worksheets
Looking for more 2nd grade worksheets? You will love these activities:
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Free Printable compound words worksheet and 4 other activities
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Synonyms and antonyms worksheets
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
Free Printable Worksheets for 2nd Grade
Plus dont’ miss these grade 2 worksheets:
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Many 2nd grader learn about the USA. These 2nd grade homeschool worksheets will help children learn about the great country of the United States! WE have so many resources and second grade worksheets to choose from!
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Measurement activities for 4th grade
Before you grabyour free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Leave a Reply