Looking for a fun way to get first grade and 2nd grade studentst practice homophones for kids? These fun earth day theme ‘tree homophone puzzles’ will have kids learning the use and meanings of common homophones. This homophone activity make it simple and fun for kids to practice matching homophones. Simply download pdf file with homophone printable and you are ready to play and learn with an engaging homophone activity
Homophones for kids
A homophone is when two or more words have the same pronunciation but different meanings and spellings such as new and knew. This homophones for kids printable activity is a fun way for grde 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students to practice identifying homophones. Plus this homophone activity features tree puzzles making it fun for any time of the year or as a fun addition to your earth day activities! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this homophone matching.
Print as many of these Earth Day Homophones Puzzles as you need for the number of students in your class! It would be a good idea to laminate these cards so you can use and re-use these as many times as you want. Students find the matching words to assemble the trees.
Earth Day Activities
- After cutting up the laminated tree cards, have the kids take one puzzle piece at a time.
- Students will read the homophone found on the card.
- They will then try to find a word with the same sound on another puzzle card in the deck.
- They will then either find the meanings of the words in a dictionary or via their laptops or write a sentence with each word in their notebooks.
- This would work well with ELL students, make sure they have access to a picture dictionary to help them identify the meanings of the words more easily.
Another way you could use these cards is to have the kids read each word and write them in their notebooks as they match the homophones right on their books. This will help them remember the words after they visually matched the puzzles.
Students are very visual, they are more likely to remember the spelling of their homophones after repeated practice of activities such as these. These words can be difficult for young learners, especially ESL learners. Activities like these puzzles will help kiddos understand the meaning and correct spelling of these unique words.
Earth Day for Kids
- Super Cute Free Printable Earth Day Hat
- Earth Day I Spy Worksheets
- 40+ Earth Day Crafts for Kids
- Cute printable Recycling Game for Earth Day
- Simple Earth Day Coloring Pages
- Earth Day Sensory Bottles for Kids
- FUN Playdough Earth Layers
- Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
- Homophone Puzzles for your Earth Day Theme
- Where do I Live Printable Activity
- Happy Earth Day Craft
- Earth Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Earth Day Worksheets to practice a variety of math and literacy skills with pre-k and kindergartners
Homophones for Kids
Looking for more homophone activity ideas? Check out these free resources:
- Easter Egg Homophone Activity
- Back to School Homophone Puzzles
- Pumpkin Homophone Game
- Earth Day Homophone Activity
Looking for more free printable activities for second graders? You will love these activities:
Download Earth Day Printables
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.