If you are studying botany for kids, you will love this easy transpiration experiment. All you need are a few simple materials to try this transpiration experiment plastic bag to help explain this concept. This leaf transpiration experiment is perfect for elementary age students in kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade too. Simply print transpiration worksheet pdf and you are ready to learn about plants with an easy plant experiment for kids.
I love quick and easy science experiments that have a fun WOW moment and teach the concept well. Kids tend to remember the material better. This transpiration experiment is one of those projects. For this plant experiment you will only need a few simple materials and our worksheet with complete instructions and guided scientific method discovery. Try this transpiration in plants experiment as part of a botany for kids lesson, spring experiment, or summer experiment too. Amaze your kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students with this experiment to show transpiration in plants. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love adding these plant activities to your lesson.
Transpiration experiment plastic bag
All you need to try this transpiration demonstration are a few simple materials you may already have at home:
- Plastic sandwich bag
- Living plant that is not an evergreen
Transpiration in plants experiment
Depending on the size of your potted plant, you can put the ziplock bag over just the leaf and hold in place with a clothespin, or the entire plant as shown above.
Leaf transpiration experiment
Water the plant as usual and then put the bag over your plant or individual leaf.
Have students fill in their hypothesis of what will happen on the provided worksheet below.
Experiment to show transpiration in plants
Can you see the moisture that has developed in the bag?
Transpiration for kids
The leaves’ stomata let out excess water from the plant that came from the roots. All day long plant roots absorb water from the soil and send it up through the plant’s veins to the leaves to enable photosynthesis, but the plant sends up more water than it needs. So, the leftover water escapes through the stomata in a process called transpiration. This is especially visible in the rainforest which causes it to be very humid.
Plants for Kids
Learn more about the process of transpiration, how plants make their own food through photosynthesis, and so much more in our plants for kids lesson! Get our plant lesson here.
THis Experiment to show transpiration in plants is such a fun and EASY way for kids to visually see the process of transpiration that happens in plants all around us every day.
Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Potato Maze – Summer STEM Activity for Kids
- Water Pollution for Kids Science Expeirment
- Silly Grass Head Plant Crafts for Kids
- Simple Geranium Photosynthesis Experiment for Kids
- How to Regrow Celery in Water
- Food coloring flower experiment worksheet Science Experiment for kids
- Color Changing Flower Experiment learning about capillar action
- HUGE plants for kids lesson! Get our plant lesson here.
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Grow Crystals Flower Experiment
- Easy BEE Pollination Experimnt for kids using Jello
- Simple Acid Rain Pollution Experiment for Kids
- Seeds and Plants Unit filled with hands-on Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Beautiful Chromatography for Kids Flower Project
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheet Pack
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Cute, printable Name flower craft
- Flower Upper and Lowercase Letter Matching
- Seeds and Plants Activities for Kindergarten
- Easy Celery Experiment
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Silly Egg Head Spring Activities for Kids
- Steps to Planting a Seed Worksheet
- Grass Craft for Kids
- Stunning Lacing Flower Craft
- Pasta in clay Flower Crafts
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Pretty Cherry Blossom Craft for SpringFun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- Tulip Flower Craft for Kids
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Purple Hollyhock Tissue Paper Flowers Craft
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Zinnia Fingerprint Flower Craft
- Hyacinth Flower Craft
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- White Dandelion Craft for Preschoolers
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Delphinium Egg Carton Flowers Craft for Kids
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Flower Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Worksheet
- FREE Printable Flower Scavenger Hunt
- Sunflower Printable ABC Puzzles
- Flower Beginning Sounds Activity
- Flower Kindergarten Sight Words Maze Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name Worksheet for Kindergarten
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Digraph Activity Build-a-Flower
- Planting Carrot cvc activities for kindergarten
- Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets to practice reading fluency
- Seeds Free Addition Games – fun math activity for kindergarten age kids
- Letter Find Flower Worksheets
- Flower Worksheets for Preschoolers to practice a variety of skills
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Simple Summer Science Sunscreen Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Scented, Watermelon Playdough Recipe for summer
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Mind-Blowing MAGNETIC Slime
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Amazing, heat-sensitive color changing slime
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Sand Volcano Summer Science
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!